Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RGDS
    replied
    I once saw a sign that said “we are too broke to close” they couldn’t even afford to shutdown....

If this stretches into months, I could see that same thing happening. They can’t afford to pay folks but at the same time will punish you for not showing up. But as Ratatatat said, when does the need to eat/pay bills supersede the fear of termination. “I still technically work for the government, but they haven’t paid me in 97 days.... so I need this job at Whataburger.”

When do the employees get to sue the Government under the 13th Amendment? Working without pay sounds awful lot like a certain 7 letter word.

Leave a comment:

• reils49
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Drs note required at some point, along with follow up. Falsely claiming illness is grounds for termination.
    I get the book answer. But if this goes long term, hypothetically speaking, and everyone is sick of working for nothing, do you think they have the resources to enforce it? I don’t think they do.

And I don’t mean just quitting coming to work altogether, anyone with some time should know the rules regarding how many days require a doctors note. Or you say I’m under physical and emotional duress because I haven’t been paid, which has caused me to be physically ill.

Leave a comment:

• Exbpa340
    replied
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Critical jobs aren’t furloughed. Coast Guard is critical to Safety and Security, as well as units assigned to DoD.
    As an LEO with DHS currently working during this shutdown I completely understand that. What I am saying is that the news is reporting the US Coast Guard members will somehow be receiving a paycheck during he shutdown even though they fall under DHS and their agency is not funded.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Critical jobs aren’t furloughed. Coast Guard is critical to Safety and Security, as well as units assigned to DoD.

Leave a comment:

• Exbpa340
    replied
    Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
    Only the executive branch proles that make the wheel turn are impacted. DOD is funded for FY19. So are the entitlements (medicare, social security). This shutdown would've lasted a day if those weren't....
    Interesting thing is that they are reporting that Service members in the Coast Guard are going to get paid. Not sure how that can be since they fall under DHS and are not funded. The reality is that nobody has a clue. Every shutdown that I’ve seen has been handled in a different way. A pay period or two is not a problem but months without a check would be a major hit to most.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Drs note required at some point, along with follow up. Falsely claiming illness is grounds for termination.

Leave a comment:

• reils49
    replied
    Here’s a question: What happens when you start calling in sick? Can they go after you? Will they? What if everyone just said screw it, Im sick. Is the boss going to drive to my house and all my coworkers houses to make sure we are actually sick? What if he is sick too? I don’t mean the National Parks janitor, but BOP or 1811s?

If the entire shift at USP Florence calls in sick, and the inmates riot because they aren’t getting fed, what happens? If the every CBP officer at a port of entry is sick, what happens to the passengers or cargo? What about investigations involving public safety?
    Last edited by reils49; 01-05-2019, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Very true. Interesting -not- that people being stupid in Nat Parks and getting hurt is being blamed on Trump. It must be his fault...

Idiots.

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    Only the executive branch proles that make the wheel turn are impacted. DOD is funded for FY19. So are the entitlements (medicare, social security). This shutdown would've lasted a day if those weren't....

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied
    What is a government shutdown? My libertarian friends feel the only shutdown is when no one collects taxes... I find that one the easiest to understand.

This “partial” stuff is utter nonsense. Who is essential? I think it’s clear that sanitary folks are essential at National Parks if you leave the park open.

I am sure all the prior service folks will eagerly jump on this: When do the troops just not do what they do? You are telling me, with a straight face, that if this shutdown pushes into a year + that our military will still be able to do anything? If the government is shutdown, why are expeditionary forces still out there? You can’t clean up a national park but you can drone strike a village in the FATA of Pakistan? Give me a break!

And what happens if Trump uses “DoD” funding to build the wall? They are essential right? So he diverts $5billion. Then, what does Congress have? They didn’t authorize it and it got built anyway... so why are they shutdown?

Given it is Tax Season, I wonder what it will look like come April 15th and NO refund checks have been cut? Think that might be unbearable pressure put on Congress? ALL your constituents furious they didn’t get money? (I think this breaks the stalemate.)

Oh the Courts are shutdown? Really? Like this isn’t a violation of someone’s 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th Amemdmrmt rights? Really? How is that legal? “Oh SCOTUS, you know we weren’t paid so this guy’s rights just didn’t matter.” “There was no one on the Admin side to process this woman’s release so she stayed in Federal Prison until the shutdown ended. It’s okay, once Congress funded the clerks she got out... only a year later”

I love when Federal Administrators say “we have the best and the brightest of America.” That may have been true prior to the 1990s. Since 1996 there have been 2 (now 3)shutdowns that lasted longer than a week. As you said the promise of getting paid back only goes for so long before people actually need to get paid.

If the Tax Refunds don’t come, I see people walking shortly there afterwards. I also see people not paying taxes.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10598 users online. 460 members and 10138 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X