Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police work is fraught with anxiety, so you might want to look into ANY OTHER occupation than this. No shame in that, it just is what it is.
    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
    "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      You CANT be a cop,Trooper, Dispatcher, crossing guard, etc.

Find another line of work that’s not stressful.
      Has nothing to do with stress, I thrive on stress and high pressure enviorments, and die in classrooms and offices. Thats the issue.

Comment

No. It’s stress. You have MAJOR psych issues. You can’t do the cop job. Deal with it and stop arguing with the truth.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by hammertime4284 View Post
          To make this as short as possible, im 21 and ive always wanted to become a police officer, however, I've had a problem thats been holding me back quite a bit in life. I suffer from some rare stomach/intestinal disease, which goes into overdrive whenever im in a classroom enviorment. Its always been this way, ever since I was a kid. A myriad of doctors and all they could really tell me was it being some form of aniexty, be it a brain-gut type connection, where when anxious (i.e, classrooms) it fires up. This got so bad that I ended up leaving high school at 15. I got my G.E.D a year later and attended college on and off due to this problem, while holding some pretty good sales jobs. In short, I dont know what it is, but I seem to have trouble sitting in classrooms. Its.... strange.. and stupid, to say the least, especially strange as im not an anxious person by nature. Im actually very extroverted. So, to my dream of becoming a plolice officer. I understand that one must attend the police academy, which varies in time but usally lasts around 6 months. Six months of mon-friday, 9-5, classroom settings.... oh boy. Should I even make an attempt? For what its worth, ive never seen a psychologist about this, you would think I would have by now, but some have suggested that xanax could possibly help. Ive never tried it but im a little weary of heading into the benzo territory, especially for 6 months.

I tend to keep telling myself otherwise....

Good question, but thats one id prefer not to answer.

Only results in train-wrecks. Honestly, very ****ty problem to have in this day and age where almost everything is office based

I know what the disease is, why the anxiety comes up is whats stooped everyone, including myself. Im more so looking into becoming a state trooper... for what its worth

I cant tell if your being serious or not...

If you are, how do you suggest I even go about that. Call the agency and flat out tell them I suffer from stomach issues? To be frank, I dont think ill get a straight answer, if you know what I mean.

Has nothing to do with stress, I thrive on stress and high pressure enviorments, and die in classrooms and offices. Thats the issue.
          Saved
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Answer this quietly to yourself: How do you think you could possibly handle the academy, all the classes throughout the coming years on law updates, long drawn-out court sessions, attending promotional ceremonies for coworkers, funerals, etc? I cannot see any department taking a chance on you creating an embarrassing situation.

I simply cannot grasp the fact no doctor can figure out a medication that will help you out. But the very fact you have to medicate yourself would probably disqualify you from law enforcement. I'm basing this opinion on a relative of mine that suffers from anxiety disorder and cannot drive or hold a job. She is taking online college classes...... for whatever good that will do............because she is basically a 22 year old afraid of everything in life.
            If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town
              You've gone to "a myriad of doctors", some of whom told you it was anxiety-related...yet you've never seen a psychologist?? How come?

Good question, but thats one id prefer not to answer.
              That's fine. You don't need to tell us. But you DO need to see a mental health professional (psychologist/counselor and psychiatrist) asap. There very well may be treatment and medication that can help. Benzos aren't the only route. SSRIs can effectively treat anxiety.

Forget the cop job for now. You're only 21, and this issue has already made your life much harder than it needed to be. Addressing the underlying psychological issues should be your immediate focus. You can always try to pursue LE in the future. Best of luck!

Comment

If you have some physical condition that prevents you from attending normal classroom activities, then the likelihood of making it into -- much less successfully completing -- a police academy is virtually nil. At least, it is based on my experience.

I'm a bit confused as to why you feel the 'anxiety' of a classroom would trigger this condition, but haven't touched on the stresses of, say, having an instructor yelling at you, experiencing training scenarios, testing and examinations, etc. Most people find that extraordinarily anxiety-inducing.

You indicate you have an anxiety-related condition, but don't appear to have spoken to a medical professional that specializes in treating anxiety issues (psychologist/psychiatrist). It doesn't sound like you've done everything possible to pursue your dream. Do so, get your condition under control, and maybe the advice could change.

Comment

Short answer: no.

Long answer: all other previously stated answers.
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

Didn't even realize Op was only 21. Figure out whats going on with your illness, finish a degree, do young adult stuff etc etc and then maybe apply again if you even want to. I'm not too older than you so believe me when I say that you have LOADS of time.

Just please note A LOT of careers require some classroom time. Honestly anything that pays well and has security is going to require you to sit down and study for something at some point.
                    Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 12-17-2018, 11:53 PM.

Comment

I'll take this from a little bit different angle, as someone who has struggled with periods of anxiety and depression and had to get counseling and medication for it, and actually was able to get a job in law enforcement. First, I know that anxiety is not a one size fits all type of ailment.

There's generalized anxiety disorder, which means just about every aspect of your life makes you anxious and panicky. This can be debilitating; even decisions as simple as what to have for dinner causes someone with GAD to panic. If you suffer from this and can't control it, forget police, you'll likely fail even at entry level jobs! From what you're saying, however, it doesn't sound like it's GAD.

But there's also more specified anxiety, that may not necessarily creep up into one's job functions. There are people who will be cool as a cucumber in life and death situations, but will be an absolute basket case if they have to take a test or give a speech. The human mind is weird like that.

But all that is neither here nor there, and the main question will be this: Can your condition be controlled or cured? The best chance you would have would be some kind of counseling or behavioral therapy. If you can make this thing of the past without medication, that will speak well of your mental fortitude, and there's a chance that, one day, a PD may be willing to take a chance on you. If you need medication, if all you need is some kind of long term, daily pill that consistently controls your condition, you may also have a chance. However, keep in mind, whether you do the former or the latter, you'll likely have to take some kind of academic classes or do some job with a good amount of stress that's going to prove that your issues are either in remission or completely a thing of the past.

You mentioned Xanax, however. If you need some kind of anti-anxiety tranquilizer, I can tell you from firsthand experience, you will be a no-go for as long as you need to take it, and for some departments, a no-go forever. It doesn't matter if it's a specific situation that causes the need for the benzos; if there are situations that require you to take a sedative in order to function, any department psychological evaluator is going to deem you too nervous for police work.

So, can someone who has overcome a history of mental health issues get hired in police work? Potentially. I did. But I did get rejected 3 times due to my history before I finally got hired. Truly evaluate and be honest with yourself whether or not this is the right job for you. And prepare for a lot of rejection.
                      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                      -Chris Rock

Comment

Knowing how state police academies are you have ZERO chance of successfully completing the academy, even if you were to get hired. Our days ran 18+ hours M-F and sometimes Saturdays if you failed enough inspections or got dinged enough. Not all of that was classroom, but even the physical stuff like defensive tactics, handcuffing, firearms, etc all had some classroom aspect to them. It would be impossible for you to keep up with the class if you were constantly running for the bathroom. In fact, aside from one time I was sick and got permission from an instructor I never pooped during the day, just at night back in our rooms when we had our hour of personal time. A 10 minute potty break for 40 students doesn't allow a lot of time. Just saying.

Comment

OP, I empathize with your plight. you want to become a sworn LEO.

That said, you have issues that, as of now, prohibit you from "sitting in classroom settings." So the problems I see are:

- issues in the academy (obviously)
                          - in-service training
                          - in a cruiser several hours a day, maybe with a partner, maybe not, doing reports in there too

Maybe there is a condition that rears its ugly head only in a classroom setting but the job entails many things that are done in a classroom.

And I know you said you thrive on stress ........ not quite sure what that means but I dont think anyone wakes up, goes to work & says "Boy i hope today's really stressful .... I want to thrive."

@ the end of the day, you can be the "ancy" type that would rather be up & moving around, but not to the point you suffer a medical emergency or need a doctor anytime you sit at a desk for more than ten minutes.

Just wondering how you made it as far as you did in HS

Comment

Even if you were able to get through the academy (doubtful)...

If you think that it's stressful in a classroom setting, wait until you're in court & being cross-examined by a defense attorney....

You'll end up looking like a broken sewer line.
                            This Space For Rent

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                              not.in.MY.town commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Welcome back, Pogue. And thanks for the visual.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11679 users online. 369 members and 11310 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X