300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I become a cop?

To make this as short as possible, im 21 and ive always wanted to become a police officer, however, I've had a problem thats been holding me back quite a bit in life. I suffer from some rare stomach/intestinal disease, which goes into overdrive whenever im in a classroom enviorment. Its always been this way, ever since I was a kid. A myriad of doctors and all they could really tell me was it being some form of aniexty, be it a brain-gut type connection, where when anxious (i.e, classrooms) it fires up. This got so bad that I ended up leaving high school at 15. I got my G.E.D a year later and attended college on and off due to this problem, while holding some pretty good sales jobs. In short, I dont know what it is, but I seem to have trouble sitting in classrooms. Its.... strange.. and stupid, to say the least, especially strange as im not an anxious person by nature. Im actually very extroverted. So, to my dream of becoming a plolice officer. I understand that one must attend the police academy, which varies in time but usally lasts around 6 months. Six months of mon-friday, 9-5, classroom settings.... oh boy. Should I even make an attempt? For what its worth, ive never seen a psychologist about this, you would think I would have by now, but some have suggested that xanax could possibly help. Ive never tried it but im a little weary of heading into the benzo territory, especially for 6 months.

I think you already know the answer to your question.
    One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
      I think you already know the answer to your question.
      I tend to keep telling myself otherwise....

Comment

And how does that typically work out for you?
        One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

Originally posted by hammertime4284 View Post
          To make this as short as possible, im 21 and ive always wanted to become a police officer, however, I've had a problem thats been holding me back quite a bit in life. I suffer from some rare stomach/intestinal disease, which goes into overdrive whenever im in a classroom enviorment. Its always been this way, ever since I was a kid. A myriad of doctors and all they could really tell me was it being some form of aniexty, be it a brain-gut type connection, where when anxious (i.e, classrooms) it fires up. This got so bad that I ended up leaving high school at 15. I got my G.E.D a year later and attended college on and off due to this problem, while holding some pretty good sales jobs. In short, I dont know what it is, but I seem to have trouble sitting in classrooms. Its.... strange.. and stupid, to say the least, especially strange as im not an anxious person by nature. Im actually very extroverted. So, to my dream of becoming a plolice officer. I understand that one must attend the police academy, which varies in time but usally lasts around 6 months. Six months of mon-friday, 9-5, classroom settings.... oh boy. Should I even make an attempt? For what its worth, ive never seen a psychologist about this, you would think I would have by now, but some have suggested that xanax could possibly help. Ive never tried it but im a little weary of heading into the benzo territory, especially for 6 months.
          You've gone to "a myriad of doctors", some of whom told you it was anxiety-related...yet you've never seen a psychologist?? How come?

FWIW, a psychiatrist (not psychologist) prescribes medication.

Comment

I've heard of this problem when I was in the Army. It's called HUA!

Ask them if you can take the online academy.

Good luck!
            Last edited by westside popo; 12-16-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• hammertime4284
              hammertime4284 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the insight

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

You've gone to "a myriad of doctors", some of whom told you it was anxiety-related...yet you've never seen a psychologist?? How come?

FWIW, a psychiatrist (not psychologist) prescribes medication.
            Good question, but thats one id prefer not to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
              And how does that typically work out for you?
              Only results in train-wrecks. Honestly, very ****ty problem to have in this day and age where almost everything is office based

Comment

No. You can’t become a Police Officer.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Langford PR
                  Langford PR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was expecting a little more than this....

Wait do you actually have a name for this disease or do doctors still have no idea whats going on. If you have a name you could just call the agency directly and ask.
                Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 12-15-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TUNEDNIMPORTED View Post
                  Wait do you actually have a name for this disease or do doctors still have no idea whats going on. If you have a name you could just call the agency directly and ask.
                  I know what the disease is, why the anxiety comes up is whats stooped everyone, including myself. Im more so looking into becoming a state trooper... for what its worth

Comment

I know what the disease is, why the anxiety comes up is whats stooped everyone, including myself. Im more so looking into becoming a state trooper... for what its worth
                    Well just call and ask. I'm fairly certain the anxiety will be an issue in the process. You will at some point probably have to talk to a psychologist as well ( as everyone else does).
                    Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 12-15-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TUNEDNIMPORTED View Post

Well just call and ask.
                      I cant tell if your being serious or not...

If you are, how do you suggest I even go about that. Call the agency and flat out tell them I suffer from stomach issues? To be frank, I dont think ill get a straight answer, if you know what I mean.

Comment

I cant tell if your being serious or not...

If you are, how do you suggest I even go about that. Call the agency and flat out tell them I suffer from stomach issues? To be frank, I dont think ill get a straight answer, if you know what I mean.

Sigh. You call them and ask if they can assist you in insuring you would be eligible for candidacy and then explain your issue.
                        Why would you not get a straight answer? They aren't going to let you process and end up in academy only because nobody will give you a straight answer... Departments have gotten pretty good at the whole candidate relations things...

Comment

You CANT be a cop,Trooper, Dispatcher, crossing guard, etc.

Find another line of work that’s not stressful.
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5473 users online. 262 members and 5211 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X