300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your answering a call ...

Are you completely professional or do you often say sweetie, sweetheart, and those type words when your talking to someone on a non-emergency call?

I've never really been around officer's responding to calls. Other than the few times I've had to report something like an accident or something being stolen.

I had two tires get stolen from beside my carport and I called to report it, only because I was hoping for extra patrols by the house. Figuring it was prolly one of my neighbors son's needing drug money.

Anyway ... I can't say that I've ever had an officer to keep calling me sweetie or sweetheart ... that was weird. He was absolutely professional otherwise and very polite and resourceful in thought. The sweetie thing just kind of caught me off guard. It wasn't a bad thing, just different.

So I was wondering if any of you do this too?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

~~ Life's a garden, dig it ~~

Professional. Mr, Ms, Mrs, Dr, etc.

Comment

Ten Six, thats always been my experience in the past. Not that I minded, it just seemed out of place. Reminded me of the women I work with they're always doing that. It was okay, just felt odd. He was a sweetie though ...
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

~~ Life's a garden, dig it ~~

Comment

Dude, man, or MF'er I work in the city. Only rookies call them Sir, they learn fast though

Comment

Face to face? We have some older dispatchers that pull the "honey" thing on the phone.

I used to respond with "booger pootie" if someone called me sweetie or honey.
          Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Depends on what part of town you're in.

But no, I would NEVER call anybody sweeite, pumpkin or any other cheesy pet name on a call for service/traffic stop. I am never tempted to either.

The older guys do it, and get away with it...I think it's inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Traffic_82
              Depends on what part of town you're in.

But no, I would NEVER call anybody sweeite, pumpkin or any other cheesy pet name on a call for service/traffic stop. I am never tempted to either.

The older guys do it, and get away with it...I think it's inappropriate.
              I could only see that causing trouble if you call a young lady by a pet name when issuing a ticket to her that she really didn't want. I can imagine the complaints that it could bring in.

Comment

I really think the pet names have no place in the workplace.

With the exception of working with children or animals.

A girl used to do that at an old job and it drove me crazy- I said something and no one gave a crap...

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

But, If a professional/stranger called me sweetie or something I'd kindly ask to be referred to as Mrs. or even just my first name.

Comment

Well I've never been anywhere except the South, but I've been called sweetheart or hunny or whatever from women in all types of work environments. And actually I kind of laugh when someone gets offended if they're called something like that by a waiter/waitress, but I guess it all depends on where you're from and what you're used to.

However with saying that would I use any of the terms on the job? Depends... if I'm on a meal break or at the local stop and rob talking to someone who works there that I routinely see and talk to... sure. But on official business or someone that I don't know... definately not.

Comment

Completely professional. None of the women are my sweetie or honey's so I don't call them that.
                    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Well. LOL. It depends on the call I'm on. Traffic stop, absolutely NOT. Now, I pepper my off-duty speech with "hon" or "sweetie" and it's probably because I'm a woman born and raised in the South and I adopted the style of those around me (nature or nuture,eh?) and I have been on calls that I have called people that. When I'm speaking with a child (that is a victim or whatnot...not when the child is a teenager, mind you...and especially if they are the suspect) my maternal instint kicks in and it's been adventageous to me. If I'm dealing with a woman who is the victim of a personal crime, then I adapt my personality to whatever is needed to make her feel safe and comfortable and so that she knows I'm on her side in this. Now that I type this, I realized that I adapt my personality for every call I'm on, but I don't know if all Officers do this or not. I do see my partners adapt their personalities to whom they are dealing with. I personally don't feel the need to be ridgid and blunt with everyone...some people need to be treated with kid gloves (elderly victim, child victims, etc.). Now, that's just ME and it works for me.
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

No. Not only unprofessional, but it is just another reason for someone to complain about you.

Comment

Most officers don't, but you're in the South and for some people those are automatic and not a "term of endearment" or anything of the like. And like S_76 said, we tend to adapt our personalities to those we respond to (especially victims). Perhaps he thought he was being comforting for someone who called police to their house for a couple of missing tires wanting extra patrols...

Comment

The only people who I call sweetie is my wife and the Chief, uhhh wait she is the Chie... well she is the boss I mean.
                            "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

Its the line from the movie Roadhouse...

If somebody gets in your face and calls you a c***sucker, I want you to be nice. Ask him to walk. Be nice. If he won't walk, walk him. But be nice. If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you, and you'll both be nice. I want you to remember that it's a job. It's nothing personal.

I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice
                              I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3555 users online. 193 members and 3362 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X