• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern California CHP Officer Injured in Collision

CHP officer, three others injured in multivehicle crash on I-5
    By Record Searchlight staff
    Originally published 02:45 p.m., April 19, 2007
    Updated 02:45 p.m., April 19, 2007

What's this?YREKA — A 35-year California Highway Patrol officer suffered moderate injuries in a multivehicle traffic collision this morning on Interstate 5 near Edgewood, and a Mount Shasta woman who was seated in his parked patrol car suffered major injuries, according to a CHP spokesman.

Officer Marty Shouse had parked his patrol car in the center divider while investigating an unrelated traffic collision on southbound I-5 near Edgewood Road north of the Shasta River Bridge around 7:26 a.m., a CHP spokesman said.

While getting information from Deborah Harton, 37, of Mount Shasta about the wreck, a northbound big-rig driven by Harmen Singh, 28, of Yuba City struck the left side of Shouse’s patrol car. The truck then crossed into the southbound lane and struck another truck driven by Jose DeLeon, 35, of Marysville. The collision pushed the CHP car into the southbound lane, where it was then struck by a southbound car driven by James McKinney, 36, of Montague, trapping the officer inside his patrol car.

The weather conditions at the time were described as icy with snow flurries.

Emergency personnel responded and got the officer out of the car. Shouse and Harton were then taken to Mercy Medical Center in Mount Shasta.

Singh suffered a cut to his hand, according to a CHP spokesman, who also said that DeLeon was uninjured and that McKinney suffered minor injuries.

The southbound lane of I-5 has been closed as CHP officers conduct a crash investigation. It was scheduled to remain closed until early tonight.

Comments
    Posted by Roger on April 19, 2007 at 8:06 p.m.

This portion of I-5 is an extremely dangerous stretch of road. Just north of the location of today's crash is where another CHP officer was hit head-on by a fleeing felon during a pursuit several months ago.

The 99 Ranch Hill grade on I-5 between Weed and the Shasta River sees numerous hazards from rolling boulders, heavy accumulations of ice and snow, to high winds, not to mention idiot out-of-area drivers.

Keep especially alert on this stretch of I-5!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Repost from CHP FORUM:

Yreka Officer injured in head on crash

Officer Marty Shouse of the Yreka Area was involved in a terrible accident today. He was working a non-injury accident in the center divider, snow and ice conditions. A big rig driver coming down the hill lost control and hit the patrol car head-on. They both went into the S/B lanes and were struck by an on coming big rig and passenger vehicle. Marty was trapped and the female previous t/c victim, who was sitting with Marty was injured also. Sergeant Lawson was at the scene of the first collision and immediately called for help and went to his aid. He was trapped in a very small portion of the destroyed vehicle. He was amazingly awake the entire time. They were both extricated with the help of the good old fire department. Marty is in ICU in stable shape. The poor lady almost died on the way to the hospital with a lacerated liver. The other three drivers were not transported. Marty was on his last few days in the Yreka Area before transfering back to West LA. I am sure there will be some pictures coming across the internet. The vehicle was destroyed. It is a miracle he is alive. It is one of the worst patrol car t/c's I have ever seen. That is in comparison to the head on with the Mt. Shasta officer last year. We are truly watched over by Angels. God was not done with him yet. Marty's statement: "There are still people that need me to take them to jail!" God Bless you Marty and get well soon!!!!!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Man! Glad he came out okay!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3128 users online. 167 members and 2961 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X