300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-1639 & i-940

With both of these passing in WA State, do you think this will set the tone for the same initiative's to be passed across the country? Sad day to be a Washingtonian, the family and i need to move! SPD is already losing officers so fast they can't even replace them, i wonder if more dept's across the state will be seeing an increase of officers leaving to different states.

What is that?

Comment

WA State Initiative 1639 & Initiative 940

Comment

• Retired96
        Retired96 commented
        Editing a comment
        Why don't you tell us what it is and not just post some numbers.

• Sincity
        Sincity commented
        Editing a comment
        You have the power of the internet at your disposal

Can't believe these garbage initiatives passed, man. Of course, with how I-594 went a couple years ago, I could have guessed....:/

Comment

• Sincity
        Sincity commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah huge blow to the face regarding I-940. Gotta provide First-Aid to those criminals first and not the innocent person they injured who really needs it. What a time to be alive my man!

It’s called good manners to actually post the content, not just numbers then get snotty about it.

Says MUCH about a person...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Sincity
        Sincity commented
        Editing a comment
        Not getting snotty or being snotty. If i don't know something i turn to the internet or another resource for the answer.

I-1639 is a feel-good measure to further restrict firearms on the coattails of several of the country's mass shootings. Here is part of the 30 page bill:

"Gun violence is far too common in Washington and the United States. In particular, shootings involving the use of semiautomatic assault rifles have resulted in hundreds of lives lost, devastating injuries, and lasting psychological impacts on survivors, their families, and communities. Semiautomatic assault rifles are specifically designed to kill quickly and efficiently and have been used in some of the country's deadliest mass shootings, including in Newtown, Connecticut; Las 2 Vegas, Nevada; and Parkland and Orlando, Florida, among others. Semiautomatic assault rifles have also been used in deadly shootings in Washington, including in Mukilteo and Tacoma." (from https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elect...ltext_1531.pdf )

The nuts & botls of I-940 are based around LEO's receiving mental health training and to avoid using deadly force at all costs with a "good faith test" used in deadly force situations. Here is what I pulled from balletpedia.org:

"The measure's good faith test to determine when the use of deadly force by law enforcement officers is justifiable would consist of two parts:[2]
      • The first part, called the objective good faith test, would be met if "a reasonable officer, in light of all the facts and circumstances known to the officer at the time, would have believed that the use of deadly force was necessary to prevent death or serious physical harm to the officer or another individual."
      • The second part, called the subjective good faith test, would be met if "the officer intended to use deadly force for a lawful purpose and sincerely and in good faith believed that the use of deadly force was warranted in the circumstance."
        • This second "subjective good faith test" was removed by House Bill 3003.

The measure would also require that an independent investigation must be completed in cases where the use of deadly force resulted in death, substantial bodily harm, or great bodily harm to determine whether the use of deadly force met the good faith test's objective component.[2]

As of 2017, Revised Code of Washington Chapter 9A.16.050 stated that a “public officer or peace officer shall not be held criminally liable for using deadly force without malice and with a good faith belief that such act is justifiable...” By striking peace officer, also known as police, from that sentence, Initiative 940 would remove the requirement that a police officer acted without malice to prosecute the officer for using deadly force. The initiative kept and defined the good faith belief requirement for police.[14] "

(pulled that from: https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_I...ood_faith_test )

Comment

And THATS how it’s done.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

So, how is this different than anywhere else? The verbiage posted makes it look like the same standards already in use in California.

was Washington getting a “free pass” or using seriously out dated legal rationales?
          semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by HandsUp_Don'tMove View Post
            I-1639 is a feel-good measure to further restrict firearms on the coattails of several of the country's mass shootings. Here is part of the 30 page bill:

"Gun violence is far too common in Washington and the United States. In particular, shootings involving the use of semiautomatic assault rifles have resulted in hundreds of lives lost, devastating injuries, and lasting psychological impacts on survivors, their families, and communities. Semiautomatic assault rifles are specifically designed to kill quickly and efficiently and have been used in some of the country's deadliest mass shootings, including in Newtown, Connecticut; Las 2 Vegas, Nevada; and Parkland and Orlando, Florida, among others. Semiautomatic assault rifles have also been used in deadly shootings in Washington, including in Mukilteo and Tacoma." (from https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elect...ltext_1531.pdf )

The nuts & botls of I-940 are based around LEO's receiving mental health training and to avoid using deadly force at all costs with a "good faith test" used in deadly force situations. Here is what I pulled from balletpedia.org:

"The measure's good faith test to determine when the use of deadly force by law enforcement officers is justifiable would consist of two parts:[2]
            • The first part, called the objective good faith test, would be met if "a reasonable officer, in light of all the facts and circumstances known to the officer at the time, would have believed that the use of deadly force was necessary to prevent death or serious physical harm to the officer or another individual."
            • The second part, called the subjective good faith test, would be met if "the officer intended to use deadly force for a lawful purpose and sincerely and in good faith believed that the use of deadly force was warranted in the circumstance."
              • This second "subjective good faith test" was removed by House Bill 3003.

The measure would also require that an independent investigation must be completed in cases where the use of deadly force resulted in death, substantial bodily harm, or great bodily harm to determine whether the use of deadly force met the good faith test's objective component.[2]

As of 2017, Revised Code of Washington Chapter 9A.16.050 stated that a “public officer or peace officer shall not be held criminally liable for using deadly force without malice and with a good faith belief that such act is justifiable...” By striking peace officer, also known as police, from that sentence, Initiative 940 would remove the requirement that a police officer acted without malice to prosecute the officer for using deadly force. The initiative kept and defined the good faith belief requirement for police.[14] "

(pulled that from: https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_I...ood_faith_test )
            Thanks for posting the language. So back to the OP where does the 1st aid come in?
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

The Washington State Legislature addressed the issues raised by Initiative I-940 back in March by effectively adopting it and amending it with input from law enforcement and the group that filed the initiative. The result was "Engrossed Substitute House Bill 3003." It was signed by the Governor and became effective 6/8/2018.

However ...

Tim Eyeman, a guy who makes his living filing initiatives, challenged the process in court. Unusually for him, the judge agreed, ruling the legislature could not amend an initiative before it was voted on by the people. I-940 remained on the ballot even though "De-Escalate Washington," the group that filed it, wanted it removed.

The Legislature botched the job and will have to do it right in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Sincity View Post
                You have the power of the internet at your disposal
                What we have here is the subjective communication style (sometimes called 'self-absorbed' communication style). It's the equivalent of a car driver who doesn't signal lane changes, because he feels that everybody should be paying attention to him anyway, because it's him. He has arrived. Or is passing through. Anyway, the world needs to notice.
                https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10963 users online. 402 members and 10561 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X