300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Bling Poll 2018!

Ok, so I had first considered making this a LE-only poll in the Squad Room, but I decided to get public input as well...

Should LEO's wear "bling" on their day-to-day uniforms? By "bling" I am referring to all the shiny s**t (collar brass, whistle chains, awards, pins, metal badges, chrome/brass buttons on duty gear, etc) that mesmerize birds and police administrators. Also, remember that I'm talking about a day-to-day patrol uniform, not "Class A's" or other versions of "dress uniform."

And, to really stir things us, let's expand this into a more general uniform question...does the public really notice or care about the uniform if the officer is recognizable as a LEO? Does an old-school leather duty belt garner more respect than a nylon one? Than a load-bearing vest? Does a "classic" polyester uniform garner more respect than a polo? In short, when a member of the public is approached by an officer...whether it be as a victim, suspect, traffic stop, or general contact...does the TYPE of uniform (assuming the officer wears the given uniform in a professional manner) make a difference in how they are perceived?
    "I love me some bling! Patrol officers should twinkle like a disco ball on duty!" (Yes)
    18.18%
    "Officer, why do you look like a Bolivian general?" (no)
    54.55%
    "I don't care as long as you come and solve all my problems when I call..." (doesn't matter)
    27.27%
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

An officer can look completely professional in Class Cs. Be in shape, get the uniform tailored, keep it creased and properly tucked and keep the boots clean, if not highly polished. No reason why a guy in utilities can’t look sharp, just as there plenty of slobs in Class As.

And no, the public doesn’t give a damn about it. The vast majority don’t notice cargo pockets, cloth badges and ballcaps. It’s other LEOs, maybe a few ex-military and the wannabes who never could be who pay any attention to uniform differences. Hell, one time I was in line at a coffee shop and a citizen asked if I was city PD or CHP. Um, no, the patch here on my shoulder says Sheriff, plus we’re the only ones who wear green pants.

People don’t care, as long as you do a good job.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

That’s because you LOOKED like a Chippie.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I’m a fan of the “old school” style uniforms for day to day work. I’m not a fan of cops with long hair and/or facial hair. That said, I also think there is a time and place for a tactical uniform. Either way, I think that the way a cop looks and carries themself is more important than the style of uniform.

I don’t wear a uniform anymore, but you could still pick me out as a cop in a of a crowd of suits. When I was in uniform I never gave it much thought, but I can tell you now, people notice how you look.
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I don't care as long as you come and solve all my problems. ieieieieieie .. VIPCLUB888

Comment

We had a deputy who went so far with the bling that he put a chain & whistle on his uni. He forever became known as "Commode Chain Wayne", even when ordered to tone all that shiz down.
            SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
            SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

• Bing_Oh
              Bing_Oh commented
              Editing a comment
              My department still has whistle chains as a part of the required daily uniform. At least the whistles are in the pocket and aren't on whistle hooks (though I won't say that out loud around my office...might give somebody an idea).

• reils49
              reils49 commented
              Editing a comment
              We’re still issued a whistle and chain, although not worn routinely.

I never understood it and thought it was a piece of equipment from a bygone era, until I spent 2 weeks on a foot post, directing traffic, at the state fair. At that point I understood that a whistle, as rediculous as they look hanging there on your shirt, is indispensable for a traffic cop.

• Bing_Oh
              Bing_Oh commented
              Editing a comment
              I can honestly say that I've ever used a whistle in 18 years on patrol and have never had the uncontrollable urge to pull out my whistle while directing traffic. Maybe I've been missing out all these years and the whistle suddenly makes people pull their heads out of their @$$es when they see a LEO directing traffic...

That stupid shiny whistle chain, though...ugh!

• reils49
              reils49 commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s a cathartic experience. You should try it.

For most of my time, we had a uniform shirt, badge, name tag and a whistle chain. The class behind me and back also had shooting badges AND years in service stripes on the sleeves(which we were allowed many years later. We were also authorized to wear our ribbons, but few did. Oh, and we also had other accoutrements like FTO pins, motor wings, SWAT, etc, but overall, we were pretty plain compared to other uniforms I've seen.

People have different reactions to police uniforms in general, and I believe that there is a little more perception of "authority" when there is more bling. Even so, safety, common sense and good taste should prevail.

I remember my first call for service while on bike patrol, which in itself, was a completely new unit in my jurisdiction. Even so, the citizens never looked me up and down, but treated me as if I was in my regular uniform. They didn't even bat an eye when we pulled up on bikes, appearing that we were still the "poe-leece" to them. Our uniforms were white long sleeve polo shirts, sewn on cloth badge/"Police"/agency shoulder patches, embroidered name, black nylon pants and black shoes. No bling on that uniform, but we appeared to have full respect.

Comment

RCMP non-Commissioned members used to wear metal rank badges on the collars of their Service Order #1 or #2 uniform shirts (khaki grey in colour), but now wear dark-blue cloth sleeves on the shirt shoulder epaulette flaps that have gold-thread embroidered rank badges on them.

Our members are allowed, and encouraged, to wear our RCMP / military / government / other organization (St Johns Ambulance) service and honour undress ribbon bars (above left breast pocket), metal RCMP Commendation pin (left breast pocket flap) and metal RCMP Generational Service pin (right breast pocket flap) on our shirts and blue jackets (a semi-formal military dress style, for media relations and Academy instructors, mostly).

We do not wear our metal ID badge on our uniforms, but wear a hook-and-loop cloth name badge above our right breast pocket.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6619 users online. 270 members and 6349 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X