• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you have shot this suspect?

Three Florida Officers Injured in Pursuit

Updated: April 18th, 2007 11:10 AM EDT

E-mail Story Print Story Most Read Most Emailed

MARLENE NAANES
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.-- A man used a semitrailer truck cab to yank a deposit box from a bank Monday morning and led police on a chase that ended with three officers injured, police said.

William F. Targett, 36, targeted the Wachovia Bank in the 1700 block of West Commercial Boulevard about 4 a.m. but a bank alarm alerted police. As officers showed up, Targett fled without the loot, police said in a news release.

Targett led police south on Interstate 95 and drove to an apartment complex in the 2100 block of Davie Boulevard, police said. In the complex's parking lot, he injured three officers and damaged three police cruisers and seven residents' vehicles, police said.

"I heard [Targett's] vehicle engine roar and watched in horror as he turned the [semitrailer] and aimed it for the marked vehicle," an officer wrote in the police report. " ... I heard the engine of [Targett's] vehicle continue to accelerate as it began crushing the occupied driver's compartment and pushing the cruiser backward across the parking lot."

That officer was treated for minor injuries and released from Broward General Medical Center. Two other officers trying to arrest Targett were also injured but not taken to hospitals, police said. Police did not release the name of the officers involved.

At some point, the Fort Lauderdale man -- who lived nearby -- ran from the cab, and an officer tried to arrest him. Targett punched the officer in the eye several times, kicked him and punched him again on the top of his head. He also attacked other officers as they struggled with him, police said.

Officers punched and kicked back. They also Tasered him more than once, but he still fought, said police spokesman Sgt. Frank Sousa. Targett was eventually arrested on several counts, including attempted murder of a law enforcement officer and aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer, police said.

Targett was taken to Broward General Medical Center where he remained Monday afternoon recovering from his injuries.

For me, it would have been when the suspect tried to kill the officer in the vehicle by crushing the drivers side as he tried to run the vehicle over with the truck
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

The guy tried to kill the officer with a truck. Sounds like good grounds to shoot him to me. I'd have no problem with it.

Comment

i wasnt there, so i cant say but the way ive been trained a car is a deadly weapon, and a big assed truck speeding towards me is even MORE of a deadly weapon..
      The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

I agree, this is a clear cut case of ADW involving a vehicle. Ability, intent, and delivery system.
        "A Nation without Borders is not a Nation."
        - Ronald Reagan

"Every immigrant that comes here should be required, within five years, to learn English or leave the country." -Theodore Roosevelt

"Liberalism is a mental disease." - Mike Savage

Comment

I'm not up to date on how laws etc work. Is "attempted murder/murder of a law enforcement officer" a Capital Crime? if not.. why?

Comment

Originally posted by MesaHopeful
            I'm not up to date on how laws etc work. Is "attempted murder/murder of a law enforcement officer" a Capital Crime? if not.. why?
            Murder yes, attempted murder no.

Comment

DRT (Dead right There)

Comment

Yep, sounds like deadly force would have justified.

Comment

Bang x 16 = DRT
                  The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

Way easier for us to dissect it now, without having to face some raging nut in a roaring truck, but I agree with everyone else: Ability? Check. Opportunity? Check. Officer or anyone else in jeopardy? Yup.
                    BANG! (Had to use a bigger font for my .357 Magnum. ) Repeat until threat is neutralized.
                    --
                    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

100% agree lethal force was justified!!!! Now since they did not it would REALLY suck to be him during the l-o-n-g ride to the jail!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MOGSOT
                        Bang x 16 = DRT
                        Ditto on that!
                        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3279 users online. 169 members and 3110 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X