• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN moves to allow guns in public buildings

TN moves to allow guns in public buildings
    Knox News ^ | April 18, 2007 | News Sentinel staff

Posted on 04/19/2007 9:02:58 AM PDT

NASHVILLE — In a surprise move, a House panel voted today to repeal a state law that forbids the carrying of handguns on property and buildings owned by state, county and city governments — including parks and playgrounds.

"I think the recent Virginia disaster — or catastrophe or nightmare or whatever you want to call it — has woken up a lot of people to the need for having guns available to law-abiding citizens," said Rep. Frank Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains. "I hope that is what this vote reflects."

Read the full story in Thursday’s News Sentinel.
    "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Yeah cause its smart to take a gun to a playground. The other parents will feel o-so-safe.

Comment

And your point with that snide comment is what???? If a CCW has it truely concealed who is going to know? Only police officers have the right to protect themselves? Wake up.

Comment

Yeah playgrounds have never had a crime committed on them, no kid abductions or rapist looking to prey upon young females and mothers, and no one has ever thought to shoot up a play ground much like Cho choose to shoot up a dorm.
        "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by normal1
          Yeah cause its smart to take a gun to a playground. The other parents will feel o-so-safe.
          In Israel it's nothing to see people out and about with an Uzi or whatever slung on their shoulder. If people are morons and get upset at the sight of guns, why is it the CCW's problem?

I have often suggested and thought about an "Open Carry Day" in Tennessee (since open carry is legal here). It would do the general population good to see how many and what kinds of people carry. There are over 300,000 permit holders in TN, a state with about 7M people. That's a pretty big percentage.

ETA: Not a word of this on the Tennessean's website. Hmm, wonder why. I have written Rep Odom urging his support.
          Last edited by The Rabbi; 04-19-2007, 02:00 PM.

Comment

It's definately not something I expected after the VT shooting. I would have figured they would have stuck with the typical ban guns routine.

Comment

Any job openings in Tennesee? I suddenly want to move there!

Comment

Good on them!

Comment

It would be nice to have an open carry day. Good idea. Even though open carry is legal here you don't see it that often. The only time I open carry is when I ride my mountain bike out lonely country roads. I started doing that after I was harassed by illegals a couple of times. I've never been stopped and asked for my permit. As a female, I prefer to conceal mine because I figure the element of surprise would be on my side.

Call me crazy but I think we might see a change in gun laws for the better. Except for the most hardcore liberal gun grabbers, people are starting to realize that gun control is not working. Gun free zones are the most dangerous places to be.

Elementary schools and high schools have RSO officers on campus but colleges do not. I would like to see professors obtain carry permits and be encouraged to be armed while on campus. It's a sad day for this country when it comes to that but at least some sane people trained in firearms and their use would be on campus if this happens again. Knowing there are armed people around would help discourage this type of thing in the future. I attend a very conservative college and most of our professors are pro-gun people. Heck, most of the people in TN believe in the right to bear arms. I guess that's why it seems so natural to me. I've never known anything else.
                  "You know, marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

"I'm against gun control generally. You know, you check my record. You'll find I'm pretty consistent on that issue."

"The court [by overturning the D.C. gun ban] basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."

Fred Thompson

Comment

Hm. I thought it was only LIBERALS exploiting the tragedy. *Woooop woop woop woop!*
                    -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Originally posted by djack16
                      Hm. I thought it was only LIBERALS exploiting the tragedy. *Woooop woop woop woop!*

Ahem... we're simply responding to their undereducated, feeble, fear-mongering attempts to exploit the situation.

Get back in your closet.
                      Last edited by Camo Cop; 04-20-2007, 09:26 PM. Reason: Minor typo

Comment

Originally posted by Camo Cop
                        Any job openings in Tennesee? I suddenly want to move there!
                        Me too! I like a govenrment that does not fear law abiding armed citizens. I fear the government that does not like its people armed.

Good move TN!!
                        Fear not the armed citizen but rather the government that tries to disarm him.

Comment

As a CCW permit holder in TN, I agree that this is a step in the right direction. In Tn, it is also illegal for permit holders to carry in any establishment that serves alcohol or liquor stores. I think that needs to be changed too. If I want to go to O'charleys and have a steak with sweet tea, why should I be deprived of my handgun? If a responsible gun owner is going to a restaurant to drink, they should leave their guns @ home or in their vehicles. As far as liquor stores goes, they get robbed just like convenience stores do. If I go to a liquor store, I'm not going to be drinking in the store.

Here's a link to the story if anyone is interested. I hope it passes.

Click Here for the Story
                          Last edited by JCT; 04-20-2007, 02:13 AM. Reason: Adding additional relevant information

Comment

AZ lets us carry in liquor stores if I read the law right. You're not allowed to carry in "an establishment where liquor is sold for the purpose of consumption on the property"
                            Something like that.

What I dont understand, is that state law says that any establishment can put up a "NO GUNS" sign, but to do so, they must have lockers available for patrons who may happen to be armed. Basically every store in mesa has one of those signs, and I've never seen any lockers =(

Comment

Originally posted by djack16

Say "Hi" to Roise and all the folks at moveon.org for us.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5752 users online. 324 members and 5428 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X