300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorblindness....

Partilarly red/green, any one ever had a hard time getting hired due to this condition?
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

My friend is color blind and is currently being sponsored through the academy. They never asked, he never told. It only came up during his physical. The doc said "has anyone ever told you that you're color blind?" He just said nope.

BB

Comment

i thought i heard that here in Charlotte you can't be hired on if your colorblind.... i might be wrong though...

-donald
      John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

I knew a guy that joined the reserves the same time I did and after I got in full time he decided to go to the academy. His story, and he had a lot of them , was that they turned him down because of colorblindness. I do know it can be a factor but besides that guy I've personally haven't known anybody turned away for it.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

I know that some departments do DQ candidates who are color blind.

Comment

I'm color blind in my left eye. My vision is 20/20. My dept hired me no problems.

Comment

I did get knocked out of the hiring process about 10 yrs ago due to being slightly red/green color deficient. I have also heard of some agencies out west that will not allow it. Seems it's a real big issue with those who are civil service. The bad thing is that they only go by the color dot Ishiara test. For those that are red/green, which accounts for about 80-90% of those colorblind, most colors are distinguishable except for certain shades of red/greens/browns. If agencies would test primary colors, and hue tests, then I think more applicants would have a better chance. There are several agencies out there that will hire though (like mine).
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by Eslick
                i thought i heard that here in Charlotte you can't be hired on if your colorblind.... i might be wrong though...

-donald
                I was just on vacation visiting my brother who lives in North Carolina. I looked up local law enforcement websites from that area and I believe Charlotte was one of them. When I read this post that site came to mind because like you, I believe I read that being color blind led to disqualification.

I believe a few departments might disqualify you for this but I know alot of departments wont. One guy on my department is color blind. It came out during the hiring process and they still hired him.
                Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Color vision is not required for my state's POST. Individual agencies, however, can make their own hiring requirements.
                  I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

We disqualify for color blindness just like uncorrected visionn. However, I had 2 guys working for me who had red/green tint blindness. Their docs fitted them with red tint contact lenses which corrected the blindness. If it can be corrected with tinted lenses depends on what type of color blindness and the degree.
                    183 FBINA

Comment

I have red/green colorblindness and many dapartments use the dot test but there are few out there that use the Farnsworth D-15. I think that Las Vegas PD uses the Farnsworth D-15.

Comment

I had trouble with the red / colorblindness and still passed and got hired. All departments have different standards.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4322 users online. 276 members and 4046 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X