Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Case Scenerio: U.S. Civil War II

‘Rock bottom’: Supreme Court fight reveals a country on the brink

When Christine Blasey Ford accused Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh of sexual assault last month, she did more than open herself up to unwanted scrutiny. She held up a mirror to a country in crisis, revealing its political players and embattled institutions not for what they claimed to be but for what they really are.

The painful 20-day passion play that followed — staged in committee rooms, Senate floor debates, hallway protests and millions of private conversations — did little to alter the future makeup of the Supreme Court. Now-Justice Kavanaugh was narrowly confirmed Saturday by the Senate, 50-48, in a vote that tracked expectations from the summer, with only one Democrat and one Republican defecting from the party line.

But few of the players emerged from the process unchanged or unblemished, underscoring the uncharted territory of deepening distrust and polarization that now defines the American system. The events further distanced the Senate Judiciary Committee from its nearly forgotten bipartisan traditions and raised new questions about the potential for the Supreme Court to maintain an independent authority outside the maelstrom of politics.

Public denunciations of the continuing slide were frequent and bipartisan, while political strategists and lawmakers raised new alarms about the ominous implications. Even top Republicans were downbeat on Saturday afternoon as the vote neared, cognizant of the cost of the political and cultural reckoning that had been sparked alongside the confirmation process.

“There is a split culturally, spiritually and socially,” said Sen. John Neely Kennedy (R-La.), who served on the Judiciary Committee and supported Kavanaugh. “It has to do with the pace of change more than anything else. There are some Americans who would like to see our country change quickly.”

Sen. John Cornyn (Tex.), the second ranking Republican, attributed the divisions in Washington to wounds inflicted by Trump’s election in 2016, which he said “half the population can’t seem to get over.”

Should Democrats win the House majority, as now appears likely, there will be a major push among some members to impeach both Kavanaugh from the high court and Trump from the presidency, all as special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is expected to finish parts of his work on the federal probe into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign.

That whirlwind on the horizon has leaders in both parties anxious about how bitter national fights could escalate as Trump lashes out at his opponents and the 2020 presidential race heats up later this year.

“The scar tissue will be thicker, the poison stronger, and the well of distrust deeper,” said Republican strategist Michael Steel, a former adviser to Speaker John A. Boehner.

Other Republicans see more fundamental cracks with historic connotations.

“This is the second most divided time in our history, and I’m worried about the legitimacy of the court,” conservative commentator William J. Bennett said, comparing the current moment to the breakdowns that preceded the Civil War.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.3e700ce9d856

I've noticed a more frequent tempo in the last few weeks re: discussion among the TV talking heads about the possibility of a civil war. Bill Maher opined a similar sentiment on his HBO show a couple of night ago.

God forbid. May such occurrence never happen in our lifetimes.

BUT, in case it does....

There used to be series of books called "Worst Case Scenerio" that provided guidance on how to handle undesireable events, like bad dates, travel mishaps, broken plumbing, on an on. As far as I know, there never was a civil war edition. So I offer up the O.com version.

Questions seeking answers:

What are the odds? Are the pundits seeing real storm clouds on the horizon... or just the usual weather patterns?

How would it happen? Urban vs Rural? Region vs Region? Poor vs. Rich? Faction vs Political Faction? Militia vs. Militia?

Would be spotty, low-simmering conflicts or a country immersed in full battle?

How would your community respond? What would you be required to do?

Are you personally prepared? How would you protect your family?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

-Jiddu Krishnamurti

Rule .303

Comment

I think it was more divided during the last administration (POTUS).

Looking through other social media sites it appears that more support or like our current President. The news media appears to be the only ones pushing the divided country propaganda.

That's just my opinion.

Comment

Wasn’t the civil war like 80 years after the republic was founded? It’s been over 100 years since the actual civil war.

I am not convinced we are near or even in the same chapter of US History as CW2. Other than a handful of violent protests have we had armed attempts at establishing a Dem or Rep only area? Anyone raiding military armories? Congressman dueling? Openly fighting on the floor of the Senate?

No? Then we aren’t there and it’s not likely any time soon. I think 1968 was closer.
        semper destravit

Comment

• Ratatatat
          Ratatatat commented
          Editing a comment
          Good points. There have been a couple of notable recent incidents involving armed seditionists (see Bunkerville, Nevada and Harney County, Oregon.) They did not rally more than a couple hundred participants, and ended with only one fatality, a few acquittals, and a few convictions. But were those situations harbingers of things to come?

Re: raiding armories ala John Brown's pre-Civil War raid on Shepardstown, WV. No, that has not happened. Given how we are the most armed First World nation on earth, would it even be a necessary pre-requisite in this age... vs.1861?

I'm not convinced it's eminent, but currents can shift very quickly and conflict only needs fuel and a spark....

The sagebrush rebellion is not about creating safe spaces for rich cowboys or the working upper middle class cowboys. These events were about businesses not being able to continue working their trades the way they want.

I think an attempt at securing heavy weapons, a la JB’s raid is the closest thing we will have.

But what fundamentally are difference between the two political parties? It doesn’t involve owning people as property... so there is commonality.
        semper destravit

Comment

• Ratatatat
          Ratatatat commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting perspectives. Thank you. I'm just curious regarding the potential.... is it a real possibility we need to be prepared for? Or just hype masters making more hype?

• Bing_Oh
          Bing_Oh commented
          Editing a comment
          What are the fundamental differences between the two political parties? My answer to that one has always been simple...the only difference between the two parties is who they want to give your money to.

Civil war or violent insurgency ....as in terrorist insurgency like in the sandpit?

Civil war -- the Antifa / SJW aren't going very far down a path of real violence outside of liberal city streets w/o finding a dirt nap pretty fast in the rest of the country. Plus the majority most of these noisy idiots need safe spaces and microwave pizza seven times a day.

Who else on the left are numerous and would get violent who are adults with enough political motive to kill, maim, and damage? Bill Ayers in pretty much retired from what Obama claims...…..is Hillary looking for replacements?

I may sound flippant but I'm not trying to be. I just don't see anyone on the left who would be part of a concerted effort to act out violently...…..except through terrorist type actions..... i.e. Baghdad circa 2006.

I personally believe our intelligence services along with federal and local LE are pretty well set up to handle those issues on any large scale effort and shut them down. Single actors are a different story and are obviously an on-going issue that are extremely dangerous but still one-offs.

Regarding the political right I don't see any violence.....only victims of it

Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
        “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
        “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
        "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
        ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

…..and before someone brings up stuff like Charlottesville...….I would just point out that situation was (for me at least) not a right versus left but a left versus left.

….and secondly the stupid butt holes of that unite the right just had their 'big' DC rally was a laughable flop so I don't see that 'movement' going anywhere substantial.

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

"I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Comment

I disagree with Bill Maher 95% of the time but sometimes he makes an insightful argument. The other night, he posited that if the dems take congress in 2018 and impeach or if a dem is elected in 2020, civil war could ensue. Hypothetical of course, but does he make a valid point?
            It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

-Jiddu Krishnamurti

Comment

I don't think things are THAT bad. It is concerning that as of recently I have noticed a bunch of people rely on the TV to get opinions that could only be obtained through real life experiences. I really have seen a downturn on young people actually asking questions and meeting people with different ideas, backgrounds. Its now a this side vs that side thing....lame
              Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 10-07-2018, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                I disagree with Bill Maher 95% of the time but sometimes he makes an insightful argument. The other night, he posited that if the dems take congress in 2018 and impeach or if a dem is elected in 2020, civil war could ensue. Hypothetical of course, but does he make a valid point?
                I guess more directly stated than I did above....no.

In order for the violence of a civil war it would be required that 1/3+ of the population would need to be committed to a cause so much so that they would emotion ally, logistically, and with manpower support violent actions over using the existing political system. I don't see that as a possibility on the right or left.

Terrorist one-offs are a completely different story, but a sustained terrorist effort from a 'group' would not be able to withstand the capabilities of LE.

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,

Comment

Also, there is the whole definition thing of a civil war: a secession with a fully function government (or something like that). This is more “sectarian violence” (what’s a better word for left vs right violence?)

And my guess is, unless you live in a “battleground State” you may not see much violence if CW2 does kick off. I mean, I live in the SF Bay Area. It’s not like this is going to be ground zero. Same with rural Kentucky.

I bet Ohio and Texas are going to be bad. But I could be wrong.

And it would depend what your individual State Governor says. If status quo order prevails, then your life won’t change a whole heck of a lot. I could see the impacted States ask for assistance and a joint NG/State Police element being sent. I use this example because if violence does breakout I do not see any Federal response for a significant amount of time. Congress will be frozen and the President will hesitate because action will be viewed as favoriting the part in office or an attempt to supersede the Constitution.
                  Last edited by RGDS; 10-08-2018, 10:12 AM.
                  semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
                    Also, there is the whole definition thing of a civil war: a secession with a fully function government (or something like that). This is more “sectarian violence” (what’s a better word for left vs right violence?)
                    I lived through the “sectarian violence” of western Iraq during the surge in 2006-07. Sunni vs. Shia, pro-American vs. Sadam loyalist vs. Al Qaeda, roving “death squads”, forced disappearances, bombings. It was scary $***, and we were heavily armed!

We’re on a downhill slide as a nation, and my worst fear is that kind of thing happening here. I don’t know about an outright civil war, but sectarian violence? Absolutely possible.

This is definitely an interesting thread and something I worry about.
                    Last edited by reils49; 10-10-2018, 07:21 AM. Reason: 1A
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

What we are seeing today is nothing compared to the 1970s. Back then, the Vietnam War was in full swing and the country was divided for more than it is now. The Vice President of the United States was indited for corruption and had to step down from office, The hate for President Nixon by the Left was so intense that today, Trump is being treated with kid gloves by comparison. Whenever a well known politician came to town there was bloody rioting in the streets, and not like these little skirmishes we we with Antifa today. I'm talking about hundred of officers and cops on horseback whacking the snot out of people for hours, because that's how bad it got. Groups like the SDS and Weathermen were planting bombs on campuses and in government buildings on a routine bases and bomb threats were the order of the day.

What we are seeing today is nothing but Theater by comparison, with Millennials and Gen Z whining emotionally, because they never developed the tools to do otherwise, and politicians catering to them, because that's what politicians do to get the votes rather than do what's right.

Part of the 1970s problems were addressed with a presidential election. Governor George Wallace of Alabama, and General Lewis Hershey ran for President and Vice President on the Independent ticket. Wallace was a strict segregationist, known for standing at the steps of a high school to prevent black students from attending and having to be removed by the National Guard at the order of the President of the United States, General Hershey advocated ending the Vietnam War by dropping Atomic Bombs all over the place. Both talked tough about dealing with protesters and bombers once in office. Needless to say, the thought of having these two gentlemen running the country scarred the crap out of the Left.

Today, the United States has 325 million people. Back then, it only had 200 Million, yet 10 million voted for George Wallace and Lewis Hershey. This scared the crap out of those who were rioting, disrupting and bombing. It sent the messages that they had pi**ed off enough folks that 10 Million Americans were willing to put Wallace and Hershey in office to turn the tide and would do more if they continued.

The bombings and riots dwindled down and stopped.

What we are seeing now is a modern day recreation of 40 years ago, but now its just theater compared to the 1970s with perhaps 10% of the violence.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It's all about ratings. If you actually drive out to neighborhoods and talk to people, 90% of us get along just fine. Sure, we'd all like change, but once these whiny basturds get real jobs they'll understand that what they're asking for is fantasyland, and maybe some good for the common person will come out of all of this mess.
                        Originally posted by RSGSRT
                        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I heard somewhere during a story of the weathermen, or SLA... that between 1970-1973 there were 900 bombings!

Today is nothing compared to that, and 1971 is still the worst year for California LE LODDs.
                          semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4939 users online. 310 members and 4629 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X