Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former sworn officer; Am I eligible to be a cop (again)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former sworn officer; Am I eligible to be a cop (again)

Hello All,

So, I know there are about one trillion topics on “can I be an officer.” I am posting here because I was a police officer for a local municipality in Idaho; Prior to that I was a federal BOP correctional officer, and before that a County correctional officer. I am wondering if I might have any shot at become an officer again? I was a fully-sworn police officer, but got terminated as a probationary employee due to a domestic incident. My then girlfriend also got charged and convicted. I was given a deferred judgement agreement where I plead to all charges (Battery and DC) but these were dismissed after I served one year of “county” probation. I have a Master’s degree in CJ, as well as a Bachelors in CJ and Psych. I currently work in a manufacturing plant, but want to see if I might be eligible to be hired as a CO at the local, state or federal level? All charges were officially dismissed against me and I have moved to the state of Illinois for a fresh start. I know I probably do not have a shot at being a sworn officer again, but given my experience and educational background I am wondering if anyone knows of a department who might be willing to take a chance on me.

I assume I will get a lot of you do not belong in law enforcement, I can concur that being a sworn officer is not really a realistic goal, but maybe a correctional facility hurting “badly” for warm bodies might take a chance. Being able to get back into the BOP would be great, but I wanted to put myself out there and see what people have to say. Thanks for the feedback both good and bad, again it is expected. Really any help or job leads would be great.
    Last edited by fedrus; 10-03-2018, 06:39 PM.

By law you can't be hired as a police officer with a domestic abuse conviction.

MOST Correctional agencies are going to pass also since many times it is necessary for a CO to be armed. Yes it is POSSIBLE, but I believe it is highly doubtful that most agencies are going to want the liability of having an officer who can not be issued a weapon in an emergency.

The BOP would be an impossible since ALL BOP staff must be able to work as a Correctional Officer in an emergency and ALL BOP CO's must qualify with a weapon.

You might try one of the private Correctional facilities
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If the charges were dismissed and you're able to possess a firearm, then, at least judging by standards of the county correctional facility where I work, yes, you would stand a chance of getting a CO job . If you're still a prohibited person, then as Iowa said, you'd be a no go. Unfortunately, many correctional facilities only need a beating heart and a lack of felony or firearm-prohibiting convictions in one's background to get hired. We have COs at my facility with extensive arrest records and hard drug use in their past, as well as gang affiliations.

My advice, avoid ANY jail looking for a "warm body" like the plague. It's a miserable work environment. Not only do you have to work with a bunch of bad eggs, but because the administration invests so little into finding good people, they see every officer, both good and bad, as easily replaceable, and treat you as such. We are one of the lowest paid jails in our area, and when this was brought up, we were reminded that the standards for getting the job were not much higher than that of McDonald's or Wal Mart, so we are already getting paid more than we're worth.

If you can find a jail that actually DOES have a background investigation and some standards that will take you, lumps and all, put your cards on the table and see what happens. If that doesn't work out, I'd seek a job outside of LE/corrections. Working in a jail with low hiring standards is absolutely miserable and not worth it at all.
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

If the charge was "dismissed" after the pretrial diversion and you could buy and posses a firearm, then I guess it would depend on what happened when y'all were arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
          . We have COs at my facility with extensive arrest records and hard drug use in their past, as well as gang affiliations.

I have a real hard time explaining to most of my Cop friends just how much a lot of Correctional Officers are SOOOOOOOOOOOO unlike cops. AND how any CO's really don't LIKE cops.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of GOOD guys & gals working behind the walls.................but I always say the LE "brotherhood' doesn't and SHOULDN'T include Corrections automatically. Its more of a Cousin relationship rather than a Brother/Sister relationship.

I put too many years in working with probably thousands of Correctional Officers
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Thank you Iowa and everyone for your comments. My charges were indeed dismissed "with prejudice" so I am able and have purchased firearms since the charges were dismissed.

I can attest to the "warm body" culture with correctional facilities. I have work for a local agency like that and it is truly night and day. That is the reason I left and went to the BOP. I really enjoyed my time there but pretty much and unsure if I could get back in there. I am again being very realistic. Corrections and sworn patrol duties are similar in job category but completely different in how people react. So many different things I am certain have been covered already. Thank you all for the immediate feedback. It is appreciated.
            Last edited by fedrus; 10-03-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

If you try to go back to BOP, you will be competing with veterans and folks with clean backgrounds
              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
              DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by fedrus View Post
                Thank you Iowa and everyone for your comments. My charges were indeed dismissed with prejudice" so I am able and have purchased firearms since the charges were dismissed.

I can attest to the "warm body" culture with correctional facilities. I have work for a local agency like that and it is truly night and day. That is the reason I left and went to the BOP. I really enjoyed my time there but pretty much and unsure if I could get back in there. I am again being very realistic. Corrections and aworn patrol duties are similar in job category but completely different in how people react. So many different things I am certain have been covered already. Thank you all for the immediate feedback. It is appreciated.
                I understand that you had the charges dismissed & I now understand that you are able to purchase weapons.

Unfortunately what is going to most likely happen is during the application and BI process for a sworn job, you will talk about the arrest and the circumstances behind the charges.........................The problem will most likely be where you pled guilty and got the deferred judgement. While you don't have a "conviction" in the legal sense of the term................You DO have a conviction in a background sense.

A BI for a sworn job is going to look at the whole picture...............the fact that you pled to the charges and did probation in conjunction to the incident .. I think most agencies will be VERY , VERY uncomfortable hiring a person with your baggage. The BOP is considered "sworn".

Again I would look into private Corrections. I think someone someplace will hire you ...........but it will be an uphill battle

Good luck
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-03-2018, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I understand that you had the charges dismissed & I now understand that you are able to purchase weapons.

Unfortunately what is going to most likely happen is during the application and BI process for a sworn job, you will talk about the arrest and the circumstances behind the charges.........................The problem will most likely be where you pled guilty and got the deferred judgement. While you don't have a "conviction" in the legal sense of the term................You DO have a conviction in a background sense.

A BI for a sworn job is going to look at the whole picture...............the fact that you pled to the charges and did probation in conjunction to the incident .. I think most agencies will be VERY , VERY uncomfortable hiring a person with your baggage. The BOP is considered "sworn".

Again I would loook into private Corrections
                  Yes Iowa, you are very correct with the "sworn" aspects. I am looking more into local county or state agency, but CCA is something I have also looked at. It is kind of one of those things I think I can do to "get back into the swing of things." My only real expectation for any kind of shot with BOP is a USP that is hiring like USP Atwater or something like that or Chicago metro. Overall, I am starting small and hoping to get something, but will keep my options open. The "sworn" position are there for the individuals who are truly deserving and I as everyone already knows I had my shot and no longer deserve that. For now my hope is local or BOP.

Comment

I know a few police departments that are hard up for people that may hire someone with your background. You never know. Won't hurt to try.
                    Originally posted by RSGSRT
                    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I have a real hard time explaining to most of my Cop friends just how much a lot of Correctional Officers are SOOOOOOOOOOOO unlike cops. AND how any CO's really don't LIKE cops.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of GOOD guys & gals working behind the walls.................but I always say the LE "brotherhood' doesn't and SHOULDN'T include Corrections automatically. Its more of a Cousin relationship rather than a Brother/Sister relationship.

I put too many years in working with probably thousands of Correctional Officers
                      IOWA-
                      Like usual, you nailed it. Cousins is the great term. I've worked only for sheriff departments for my entire career in LE, so I have a lot of contact with CO's. They come in mostly these forms:

1. Wanna be a cop
                      2. Can't be a cop (for various reasons)
                      3. Don't want to be a cop/ dislike cops
                      4. Sadists wannabe cops who can't pass BI/Poly/psychological, and drive ex-police vehicles bought at auction.

Professional corrections officers do exist, but they are a rare breed indeed. Thank God for them....
                      SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

• westside popo
                        westside popo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Most of the ones I worked with took the job for the "pay and benefits." Nothing wrong that and the pay wasn't that bad but I didnt think it was ever enough for what we did or had to deal with.

Unfortunately most of them don't see that until things go sideways. When you need or expect them to help the "pay and benefit" types have second thoughts about helping. I've been in that situation while they watched.

I agree with y'alls opinions and observations on
                        CO's. I also have seen some exceptional CO's.

• Iowa #1603
                        Iowa #1603 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I spent nearly 30 yrs as a CO/ Supervisor............BUT I also had a few years as a deputy sheriff too.

There really are a lot more "good guys" working corrections than bad guys. Just because they don't want to be or can't be a cop has nothing to do with the fact they are good officers I worked with and supervised many good people doing a good job.

The ones that don't like cops are a minority but they are usually vocal about it and are the ones that bitch the most when they get a ticket driving to or from work

Yep most are there for the paycheck...............and nothing more Nowdays we are finding a lot of "plants" from gangs in the hiring pool...................another consideration

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9442 users online. 322 members and 9120 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X