Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any legal recourse?

This might be a long story...

My best-friend brought fairings from her motorcycle to a body shop (friends of her boyfriend) and they have had the pieces for approx. 4 months...

Still not finished. It always seems to be put off.

She tries to call, but they treat her like crap to the point where she is afraid to call anymore. She asks her b/f to ask about it but he's such a ***** that he won't even ask.

Now, the situation gets even more difficult because WE (My husband and I) are paying for the work. (He had a minor mishap and actually is the one who damaged the pieces)

We are paying about 2,100 for the entire job (Which IMO is excessive considering you can get an entire CAR painted for that) but we bit our tongue's because she was confident in their ability toget the job done.

They started work without an estimate, or contract or anything in writing- an simply said 1,400 for the paint job (700 for the parts)

She is a member on an online forum where one of the sons of the body shop made a comment about waiting on parts for her car, and she bitterly joked "Yeah, it sucks waiting for parts huh?"

Which he replied rudely with some statements and referred to my husband and I saying "...*something* a Jackass and his wife nit-picking at everything"

Which niether my husband or I have ever spoken to them...so I have no idea what that wa supposed to mean.

So, in an effort to kind of keep it short- Is there anything I can do?

Can a body shop take on work without giving a customer anything in writing? Do they have the right to take as long as they want?

Can I do anything to speed the process up?

I'm just worried we're going to pay out our a**es for the work, waiting months on end...and it's going to look like crap.

Then we'll be up sh*t creek without a paddle in a boat full of useless plastics.

HELP ME IF YOU CAN!

Thanks so much...

Your in a tricky spot, because your friend is the one who took the fairings to the shop, so technically, she's the customer. It's sounds like she went there because they are "friends."

You agreed to pay the amount she "quoted" to you.

So, you could give her the money, then it's no longer your problem to deal with.

Or you could pay her the amount you think it would really cost, if she's willing to accept that amount.

Or, you could tell her to get the pieces back, give them to you, and you will find a different shop to fix/paint them and you will pay the bill.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I heard her yelling at her boyfriend about it just a bit ago..

According to the shop- they are more worried about what we think that what she thinks.

Which, I am glad to hear.

So, they said they'll be done by the end of the week after also saying "Because she's bitching we're going to take longer"

I have screen shots of the 'remarks' he made (which are actually worse than I thought)

If it comes to the point where I feel we will have to take it to small claims.

I don't really feel like ****ing away 2,100 on a bunch of jerks that talk the way they do about customers.

Comment

Originally posted by ksadek
        Is there anything I can do?

Can a body shop take on work without giving a customer anything in writing? Do they have the right to take as long as they want?

Can I do anything to speed the process up?
        Unfortunately, you're kind of stuck. Willowdared is spot on. Technically speaking, your not really the customer here, so you don't have much of a legal leg to stand on. You're best option would be to give the agreed upon price to your friend, then back out of the situation altogether. I'd highly recommend getting the agreement and payment in writing between you and your friend as well.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I was afraid of that-- Does SHE have the capabilites of doing anything?

I told her she should take them to small claims or something if they take much longer.

The 83 dollar filing fee is probably worth it for the 2,100

Comment

Legal Recourse.

Presently, it's a civil matter. I suggest you see an attorney, or file a small claims action. Check into your state's statuatory cut off for small claims .

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
              Presently, it's a civil matter. I suggest you see an attorney, or file a small claims action. Check into your state's statuatory cut off for small claims .
              Yep, this would be small claims action. (Actions < $5000 in Wisconsin.)
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Usually just the mention of going to small claims is enough for guys like this to raise the white flag.

She needs to just call them and lay it out there. Either the work gets done properly in a reasonable amount of time or refer them to contact her lawyer. 2100 for a bike job is definitely excessive. I paid 75 bucks to have my whole tail redone at a dodge dealership and the body guy had a heck of a time trying to match the yamaha blue paint.

Unless she has a professional artist airbrushing the fenders, i'd say she's getting fleeced.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrain
                  Usually just the mention of going to small claims is enough for guys like this to raise the white flag.

She needs to just call them and lay it out there. Either the work gets done properly in a reasonable amount of time or refer them to contact her lawyer. 2100 for a bike job is definitely excessive. I paid 75 bucks to have my whole tail redone at a dodge dealership and the body guy had a heck of a time trying to match the yamaha blue paint.

Unless she has a professional artist airbrushing the fenders, i'd say she's getting fleeced.

Everyone knows she's getting be over on the cost.

I'm buddies with the guys of Ballistic cycles... who build/paint 70k custom bikes...and even the owner said it was a lot.

Ugh.

Hopefully I can get her to suck it up, grow a pair.. and SAY SOMETHING

Comment

Originally posted by ksadek
                    Everyone knows she's getting be over on the cost.

I'm buddies with the guys of Ballistic cycles... who build/paint 70k custom bikes...and even the owner said it was a lot.

Ugh.

Hopefully I can get her to suck it up, grow a pair.. and SAY SOMETHING
                    You asked Just trying to lend a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrain
                      You asked Just trying to lend a hand.
                      Oh, I know!

I'm thankful for everyones opinions...

Just frustrated.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6302 users online. 336 members and 5966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X