Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY allows registered sex offenders to vote in schools

I don’t have words for this.
    A Long Island school district canceled all evening activities at schools being used as election polling sites Thursday -- after Gov. Cuomo gave convicted rapists and other sex fiends the right to vote after 7 p.m.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

And people sh*t on California for being liberal. There would be large scale protests and immediate recall efforts against anyone who went along with this idea. State law bans registered sex offenders from being within 1,000 feet of a school, any school.

I can’t believe he is just going to skate for this. We had a Judge get booted for giving Brock Turner six months in jail instead of 3 years in prison. We had a Governor booted over raising vehicle registration fees.

You guys have a Governor who just gave sex offenders free access to children.
    Last edited by RGDS; 09-14-2018, 08:03 AM.
    semper destravit

Comment

As a lifelong New Yorker, a parent, and a cop who works these types of cases, I’m sickened on so many levels.

Politics aside, this is just wrong.

Comment

Comrade Cuomo wants to ensure his victory this election.

Comment

• moparfan
          moparfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup.he just got at least 20k votes

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post
        Comrade Cuomo wants to ensure his victory this election.
        There’s no doubt his motivation, what child mollestor is going to vote anything other than democrat. What’s really sick is the lack of outrage by democrats, who are also parents. Where are they? The governor won the democratic primary yesterday by 30 percentage points!

Normal people in this state are f***ed.

Comment

WOW this is f****d up...NYS just keeps getting worse.
          Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 09-14-2018, 11:56 PM.

Comment

My own opinion as a sometime election judge is that if they are legally eligible to vote, they need to be able to vote...but there are methods of voting which do not require access to a polling place from which they are legally barred. Such as voting absentee by mail. Perhaps the voter record could be "flagged" in a non-public way to show that if their assigned polling place is a school or other off-limits location they either need to come in to a central location or be sent a mail ballot.

Comment

When you are a Democrat, you will take ANY votes, especially from child molesters, because THAT’S your base...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The Democrat party is about redistributing costs (of all kinds), and redistributing gains (from all sources). So if somebody does something bad, it's either all of society's fault, or the bad deed is redefined as a good deed. And if somebody does something good (like high economic productivity), well then those gains must be taken and handed over to society.

So Democrats take away the gains of the productive class, to redistribute them, and they take away responsibility from the criminal class, to redistribute that responsibility among society as a whole. What is it with Democrats and redistribution?
                https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

• retired137
                  retired137 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, is the Republikkkan party of family or child molestors, because they certainly support them.

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

There’s no doubt his motivation, what child mollestor is going to vote anything other than democrat. What’s really sick is the lack of outrage by democrats, who are also parents. Where are they? The governor won the democratic primary yesterday by 30 percentage points!

Normal people in this state are f***ed.
                The majority of these democrats are prissy yuppies living in their million dollar communities in Westchester Co. They are sheltered from reality. If it wasn't for the fact that democrats hate guns so much, they'd be all for reinstating that right to felons as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ehbowen View Post
                  My own opinion as a sometime election judge is that if they are legally eligible to vote, they need to be able to vote...but there are methods of voting which do not require access to a polling place from which they are legally barred. Such as voting absentee by mail. Perhaps the voter record could be "flagged" in a non-public way to show that if their assigned polling place is a school or other off-limits location they either need to come in to a central location or be sent a mail ballot.
                  If they are going to give them back the right to vote, then yes that's how it should be done, but in typical NY fashion, they passed a law without thinking about how it should be implemented.

Comment

How many children were actually molested by registered sex offenders, at a polling site, on election day between the hours of 7pm and 9pm?

How many children were molested and sexually abused elsewhere in the state during that same time frame?

Comment

• RGDS
                      RGDS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am sure the numbers are low and possibly zero.

It still isnt a good idea.

• not.in.MY.town
                      not.in.MY.town commented
                      Editing a comment
                      RGDS

As a parent and a cop, I don’t like the idea either, and I would prefer vote by mail or some other solution. However, the image that’s being conjured up (droves of pedophiles descending on schools and snatching up kids left and right) is politically-motivated, irrational hysteria.

IMO, laws banning sex offenders from school property aren’t much more than a “feel good” measure anyway (similar to restraining orders). As you and I know, laws only work for law-abiding citizens. They’re not going to deter a determined sex offender from entering school grounds…or simply hunting elsewhere. Anybody who believes their kids are safe in school because of some 1000 ft rule needs a reality check. The idea that all these pedophiles were just patiently waiting for an opportunity to legally enter a school and then take advantage of that 2-hour window of opportunity is ludicrous.

If this happened in my state, my initial reaction would be outrage as well…but then I’d take a step back and look at the issue more rationally. IF my kids’ school had anything scheduled after 7pm that day I’d keep my kids home. If they absolutely had to go, I’d attend with them. If I couldn’t go, I’d send someone else to keep an eye on them. If a school in my jurisdiction was a polling site, I’d have all our SROs working that evening and possibly have additional officers patrolling the area. Even though I believe the likelihood of any sex offender taking advantage of this “opportunity” is slim, I’d make sure that no child got hurt on my watch. But does this issue influence my political stance or vote? Nope. It’s a molehill, not a mountain.

• RGDS
                      RGDS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed, but, having a law banning them on or near school grounds (or wherever children congregate) is an effective tool. Why ever take the risk because it won’t be followed? It just seems like a no brainer.

While I agree with increasing staffing, I could see an argument that those measures will cause disenfranchisement and are being used to suppress the rights of these people who have “paid their debt to society”.... even though the concept of a sex offender registry would imply that they are still an unacceptable risk to the community regardless of their “paid debt”

If I were the school district, I would assess which facility has the least impact for risk and then use that one building/campus. These individuals aren’t in the normal categories anyway. No reason to just let registered sex offenders visit a campus on election night. They can go to the district office, or the fleet yard or something.

Cuomo- both of them- make me disgusted.

I'll bet some of those child sex offenders, even without kids present, went into the bathroom just to rub one out.

Reils- get out as soon as you can, brother.......
                    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

• reils49
                      reils49 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      East Tennessee is looking better and better!!!

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
                    How many children were actually molested by registered sex offenders, at a polling site, on election day between the hours of 7pm and 9pm?

How many children were molested and sexually abused elsewhere in the state during that same time frame?
                    What’s politically motivated is drumming up votes by allowing the worst of the worse kind of criminals the ability to vote in schools.

By your logic, sex offender registries and orders of protection should be ignored because they’re ineffective.

Have you ever worked a pedo case? If you have you would know that these scumbags are predators, who often attack targets of opportunity.
                    Why give them an opportunity?

Will there be a mass reports of abused kids following this? Are we going to see creepy guys with puppies, tossing kids into vans while voting? Probably not. But the possibility exists.

Furthermore, who says that the criminal act at school is the only thing we are worried about? I worked a case last year where a victim was groomed at school, because that’s where creepo had access. That’s just as bad!

What I find disheartening is that a parent/cop is minimizing this as political hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

What’s politically motivated is drumming up votes by allowing the worst of the worse kind of criminals the ability to vote in schools.
                      Well, pretty much anything a politician does is politically motivated, so that’s a given. Is Cuomo hoping for more votes? Sure. However, I doubt he was specifically fishing for votes from registered sex offenders. He signed an executive order granting ALL parolees voting rights, and this group happens to include an unspecified number of sex offenders who may otherwise be barred from schools. He limited their access to after 7pm and for voting purposes only (no loitering or roaming the entire campus). They are required to inform their parole officer that they intend to vote at a school, and they need prior written permission from their parole officer AND the school’s superintendent.

Should he instead have made provisions for alternate voting methods for this group that would completely eliminate school access? Probably. But it’s not like his executive order in its current form is the equivalent of an open invitation to sex offenders to come to schools and enjoy a smorgasbord of children in exchange for their vote (which is basically what the hysterical fear mongers seem to be suggesting).

By your logic, sex offender registries and orders of protection should be ignored because they’re ineffective.
                      No, they should not be ignored. But they shouldn’t be blindly relied upon either. They give a false sense of security…as evidenced by your fear that if the ban is lifted for two hours there’s going to be a sudden spike in child sex crimes in schools.

Have you ever worked a pedo case? If you have you would know that these scumbags are predators, who often attack targets of opportunity.
                      Yes, I have worked “pedo cases” during my years in Investigations though I have never worked sex crimes or crimes against children exclusively. There undoubtedly are investigators far more experienced in these types of cases…but I have enough experience to know that opportunities for these predators exist EVERYWHERE. They are banned from schools, so they hunt elsewhere…most often online and via phone apps. I don’t recall a single incident in my jurisdiction where a child was molested by a stranger on school grounds. The much bigger danger stems from their teachers, coaches and other school personnel, their friends' parents…and sadly, their own peers.

Why give them an opportunity?
                      If everybody (school district, local LE, parents) does what they should be doing then there WON’T BE an opportunity. The schools mentioned in the article that you posted decided not to have any activities after 7pm on election day. Not having children present on campus goes a long way towards keeping kids safe, doesn’t it? Additional measures were taken to restrict access to other parts of the building.

The schools in my jurisdiction that are used as polling places already have special protocols for election day in place. They are set up in a manner to just about eliminate the possibility of ANY interaction between school kids and voters (ANY voters, not just registered sex offenders). Voting takes place in a separate building at one end of the campus, with one set of double doors for ingress and egress. There is designated parking for voters next to the polling site. Voters are not permitted to use the rest rooms or go anywhere else on campus. There’s plenty of staff (poll workers, school personnel and SROs) to monitor compliance. If our schools had to permit voting access for registered sex offenders we would beef up security and safety measures even more during those limited hours.

I can tell you with absolute confidence that NO registered sex offender would catch as much as a glimpse of any child at any of our schools. Period. What I CAN’T guarantee is that no child will be groomed by school staff, molested by a family member or family “friend”, accosted by a creeper in a Walmart parking lot or Target bathroom, date-raped or seduced via phone app…and the list goes on…

Will there be a mass reports of abused kids following this? Are we going to see creepy guys with puppies, tossing kids into vans while voting? Probably not. But the possibility exists.
                      Election day in New York has come and gone. Any reports?

Furthermore, who says that the criminal act at school is the only thing we are worried about? I worked a case last year where a victim was groomed at school, because that’s where creepo had access. That’s just as bad!
                      Yes, kids are being groomed at school…but not by registered sex offenders who go there to vote…but by the same people I mentioned above…teachers, coaches, school staff and any other person who is legally permitted to be there and has time to build a rapport, gain their trust and manipulate the heck out of them over an extended period of time. Not while waiting in line to vote.

What I find disheartening is that a parent/cop is minimizing this as political hysteria.
                      Not minimizing. Just not over exaggerating.

Some issues involving our kids' safety are insurmountable. THIS isn't one of them....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12171 users online. 436 members and 11735 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X