300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing Stress from Work

You guys ever get stressed more than usual after a brother in arms gets injured? If so, got any tips on getting back on your game mentally and emotionally?

I've only been on the job two years. I've been quite lucky so far as far as violent encounters. I've also felt that I've managed work related stress well and typically dont feel adverse effects. I dont usually feel "hypervigilent" (just have a healthy awareness of my surroundings, not worried about the what ifs or worrying I'm going to encounter violence when I go to the grocery store)... and I usually can fall asleep within about 4 minutes of laying down. I don't often get headaches.

What seems to have thrown me for a loop is watching the dashcam of the PSP Route 33 shooting incident. I've watched a lot of police shooting videos in training and on my own and haven't had problems, but watching that video made me want to puke at the time and has left me struggling to fall asleep ever since I saw it several days ago. I've had headaches as well and can feel stress aches in my neck. The images of the Cpl. being shot after the struggle and seeing him fall/jump over the guide rail have been stuck in my mind. I guess what gets me is how nothing seemed to work to stop the perp and even getting shot 3 times didn't stop him. I'm not here to Monday morning quarterback though and that's not the purpose of my post.

Anyone else see stuff that leaves them feeling like this? What helped you get back in the game mentally? I've ridden my bike for some fresh air and exercise but that only helped for a very short time.

I'm asking on here for the normal BS reasons that keep cops from talking these things out in person. I'm planning to call a police buddy or two from other departments to vent when my schedule allows.

What's thrown me for a loop at times over the past 26 years are the people I trained with or worked with who've been seriously hurt or killed. One shot and killed during a vehicle stop. Another was severely brain damaged in a motor vehicle accident. Another was on Flight 93.

I'll also add two co-worker suicides, one of which I'm convinced kakistocracy management was a factor.

Call your buddies and vent. Go for a long walk in the woods. Sit on your porch and watch the clouds pass. Eventually you'll come to realize that the universe is not inherently benign, and sometimes the good guys pay an undeservedly high physical cost, while the bad guys pay little or no price at all.

And if watching videos of critical incidents cause you to suffer physical ailments, maybe you shouldn't watch them.

One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

I stopped watching cop videos for these same reasons (what if it happened to me?)... the last straw was the one from the 90s where the Officer is killed in his car by a Vietnam Vet with a rifle.
      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
      DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by Penn'sWoods View Post
        You guys ever get stressed more than usual after a brother in arms gets injured? If so, got any tips on getting back on your game mentally and emotionally?

I've only been on the job two years. I've been quite lucky so far as far as violent encounters. I've also felt that I've managed work related stress well and typically dont feel adverse effects. I dont usually feel "hypervigilent" (just have a healthy awareness of my surroundings, not worried about the what ifs or worrying I'm going to encounter violence when I go to the grocery store)... and I usually can fall asleep within about 4 minutes of laying down. I don't often get headaches.

What seems to have thrown me for a loop is watching the dashcam of the PSP Route 33 shooting incident. I've watched a lot of police shooting videos in training and on my own and haven't had problems, but watching that video made me want to puke at the time and has left me struggling to fall asleep ever since I saw it several days ago. I've had headaches as well and can feel stress aches in my neck. The images of the Cpl. being shot after the struggle and seeing him fall/jump over the guide rail have been stuck in my mind. I guess what gets me is how nothing seemed to work to stop the perp and even getting shot 3 times didn't stop him. I'm not here to Monday morning quarterback though and that's not the purpose of my post.

Anyone else see stuff that leaves them feeling like this? What helped you get back in the game mentally? I've ridden my bike for some fresh air and exercise but that only helped for a very short time.

I'm asking on here for the normal BS reasons that keep cops from talking these things out in person. I'm planning to call a police buddy or two from other departments to vent when my schedule allows.
        That kind of stress is going to kill you faster than the bad guys will.

Get a hobby........................get a girl friend (just don't let your wife know ) Get some friends out of the profession so you can unwind

Like said above...............if watching training films stresses you.............don't watch them
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
          kakistocracy management was a factor.

This is a huge problem. I agree it is more stressful than the street. Mental midgets should never be in a position of power.. Just look at politicians to find the most egregious offenders.

Just one caveat to what Iowa suggests..... try not to get into an argument with your wife and girlfriend at the same time..
          September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13698 users online. 497 members and 13201 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X