Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For All LEOs, Who on the forum joined the force causethey felt God was telling them

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For All LEOs, Who on the forum joined the force causethey felt God was telling them

Here's my story,

I am 22 years of age, am married to a beautiful wife and we live in North Charlotte. I currently own a carpentry business where I work on very upscale homes in Charlotte. Lately, I've really been feeling God leading me out of the business and sell it.
    Along with that, I've been thinking about what else I would do and I really felt God was laying on my heart to go into Law Enforcement. This is something I've wanted to do for years now and I feel this is a big chance for me to. I've been praying about this, fasting about this, and asking TONS of friend's advice. I've already had two phone meetings with different police officers, a face-to-face meeting with a police officer and I'm signed up for a ride-along in a week or two.
    I really feel like this is where God wants me, and one big thing that has really convinced me is the fact that for the last number of years, my wife has always said she would never allow me to be a LEO, and since she's seen me praying and seeking wise counsel on this situation, i've seen God move in her life and change her heart and opinion.

Question is, do any of y'all feel God moved you to be in law enforcement?

-Donald Eslick
    Last edited by Eslick; 04-14-2007, 08:15 AM.
    John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Be a preacher instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kodger
      Be a preacher instead.
      what? If he wants to be an officer, I'd much rather someone with god in mind did it instead of someone filled with hate.

good luck to you man. I hope your faith stays strong. Everything I hear makes it seem like an extremely strenuous job.
      -2Adam29... 10-8. Code-7

Comment

God loves you, no matter what you decide.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

man, i'm really looking forward to it. I'm honestly excited about just, being able to protect people. I think its going to be an amazing experience and possible develop into a lifelong career...

-donald
          John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

What do you think is going to be amazing about it? If I were you'd I'd be a fireman and keep the carpentry business going. You don't have to carry a gun, you don't have to deal with disagreeable people as much and you can keep your business going more easily.
            Last edited by Frank Booth; 04-14-2007, 12:30 PM.

Comment

some thoughts...

Donald,

Law, order, and justice are very important to God (Romans 13). LE is also a career that can help you provide well for your family and that is also important to God. It seems to me that you are taking the correct steps in pursing this desire and I wish you the best.

As you can see by some of the responses, saying that you "are being led by God" into LE will not be received well, rather it will be received as religious mumbo jumbo. This is not a surprise considering 1 Cor. 2:14. Keep that in mind as you are going through the application process and be wise with what you say.

Also keep in mind, that many (even Christians), have the dichotomy of sacred vs. secular etched in their minds. And many would believe that LE is a very secular job (and in many respects is). I would encourage you to read "Total Truth" by Nacy Pearcey as she does an excellent job at discussing the sacred v. secular divide.

Regards,

Karl

Comment

I used to believe god called men to three things.....the ministry, law enforcement, and the matine corps and not always in that order......do what your heart can stand.
                You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2Adam29
                  what? If he wants to be an officer, I'd much rather someone with god in mind did it instead of someone filled with hate.

While this is true, it's not either one or the other.

You don't have to either have God in mind, or be filled with hate.
                  And your don't have to be a believer to be a good cop.

One can be a good cop with or without belief.
                  You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Whatever you decide to do, keep God first. If God is leading you into law enforcement, then he will help you become a great law enforcement officer. The main thing is obedience. As long as you're obedient to God and are in his perfect will, nothing else will matter. Chances are most people are not going to agree with you, but that is because they don't have the same relationship with God that you do. As long as you stay in Christ, you will be just fine.

Comment

Cops are loud, profane, and love dirty jokes and gallows humor. Be prepared to deal with that without being a wet blanket. If you become the "sshhh...so-and-so walked in, no more jokes" guy, your career will be miserable.

Also realize that you have to leave the Bible at the door when you put the uniform on, at least in the sense no proselytizing to the masses or your coworkers. I've been in LE for 9 years, I'm a Christian, and I can think of only two times I've ever mentioned anything religious to a member of the public. And that was only after they brought it up first and I was responding to their questions in very stressful situations. There was a guy in his 40s in my academy class who was a former Bible school minister and missionary. He got the academics and physical part with no problem, but it's my understanding that once he was out on the street he had some major adjustments to do in regards to interacting with coworkers and especially the more hateful people we deal with. He's not sure now if he's going to stay in LE.

I would recommend quite a few ride-alongs to get the feel for how things really work before making any decisions.

Comment

There are plenty of believers with hate in them Adam. Plenty of Fred Phelps' out there who think they are more true to the Christian ideals than anybody else.

I've noticed on some of the jobs I've had, very zealous Christians would talk about religion a lot. Some would even proselytize while on the clock. Since most jobs are melting pots debate would inevitably come up and cause workplace issues. I'm sure the same is true for LE. I'm also sure your best bet is to put down the bible when you pick up the uniform.
                        -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Originally posted by ofc129
                          Cops are loud, profane, and love dirty jokes and gallows humor. Be prepared to deal with that without being a wet blanket. If you become the "sshhh...so-and-so walked in, no more jokes" guy, your career will be miserable.

Also realize that you have to leave the Bible at the door when you put the uniform on, at least in the sense no proselytizing to the masses or your coworkers. I've been in LE for 9 years, I'm a Christian, and I can think of only two times I've ever mentioned anything religious to a member of the public. And that was only after they brought it up first and I was responding to their questions in very stressful situations. There was a guy in his 40s in my academy class who was a former Bible school minister and missionary. He got the academics and physical part with no problem, but it's my understanding that once he was out on the street he had some major adjustments to do in regards to interacting with coworkers and especially the more hateful people we deal with. He's not sure now if he's going to stay in LE.

I would recommend quite a few ride-alongs to get the feel for how things really work before making any decisions.

I really appreciate your comment. I have definitely taken EVERYTHING you said into consideration. I understand what I will need to leave at the door. I'll keep my comments to myself. I definitely will not end up having people not feeling free to speak freely in front of me. I don't care how others talk. I don't let it bother me. I know that I am about to enter a field where there is cursing, bad jokes, etc... but I also know that I feel I will be able to stay strong and not fall into it. I already have a bad habit of cursing once in a while so that will definitely be a struggle.
                          Overall, I understand what I'm getting myself into (as much as a rookie can i guess,lol) and I accept it.

-donald

Comment

If it's Gods will who can fight it. May God bless you, your wife and your dream to become a LE. Godspeed!
                            If God is before me, who can stand against me!
                            I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me Phil 4:12-13!

Comment

seperation of church and state is for a reason.. one alot seem to have forgotton.

be a cop if you want to put bad people in jail and have the guts to do it.

dont be a cop if its just some silly religious quest for you. You have to kick your religion to the curb and do whats the law and whats right not what you think your god thinks is right.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6115 users online. 242 members and 5873 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X