X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former deputy sentenced to 8 years in DUI crash

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...13deputyu.html

12:44 p.m. April 13, 2007

SAN DIEGO – A former sheriff's deputy convicted of drunken driving and injuring two men was sentenced Thursday to eight years in prison.
    James Costello, 42, pleaded guilty Feb. 15 in San Diego Superior Court to felony driving under the influence and causing great bodily injury in connection with the Nov. 6 crash.

Costello was a patrol deputy at the Lemon Grove substation but was off duty when the accident happened. Costello's pickup hit the rear of a flatbed tow truck whose driver had stopped to assist a motorist about 3 a.m. on state Route 15 south of El Cajon Boulevard.

The tow truck then slammed into the motorist's Toyota 4Runner, pinning the Toyota's owner and the tow-truck driver between them. Authorities said Costello's blood-alcohol level was .20 percent, more than twice the legal limit of .08.

The victims, Alfredo Garcia and John Naraka Coston, attended the hearing in wheelchairs. Coston's wife said it is uncertain whether her husband will walk again. Still, she said, the family has forgiven Costello.

Costello apologized and said he has sought treatment for alcohol addiction. “I am exceptionally, truly sorry, very sorry for what I have done,” he said.

sadly- It happend and it was felony due to the injuries.

But a drunk driving is a drunk.......in a loaded weapon.
    ‘Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.’
    Oscar Wilde

Comment

This is sad.
      The normal Felony DUI gets 1-3 years. I think this guy had a Prior.

In the Academy--35 years ago, they told us" There are two ways to get in trouble and end your career: Booze and Women"

Comment

He did have a prior, he was the only one injured the first time.
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

A shame he didnt learn his lesson the first time....now he hurt someone and ruined two lives. This job can take a toll on your life....but alcohol only makes it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop
            This is sad.
            The normal Felony DUI gets 1-3 years. I think this guy had a Prior.

In the Academy--35 years ago, they told us" There are two ways to get in trouble and end your career: Booze and Women"
            I have always heard it was three. Booze, women, or lying about them when confronted.

Originally posted by James Costello
            “I am exceptionally, truly sorry, very sorry for what I have done,”
            No doubt in my mind.

Would have been much better if he'ld have realized it back before he so painfully and permanently ... and so drastically altered the lives of two total strangers and their families ... and simply stopped drinking or driving drunk.

I do not understand the mentality of cops who take the grave risk with innocent lives by driving DUI.

I guess he'll be dry when he get's out.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I'm just surprised that the news media actually included the word "former" instead of "Deputy".

How about "Former burger flipper sentenced for fast food robbery". Not news worthy I guess.
              "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

Originally posted by ejay
                I'm just surprised that the news media actually included the word "former" instead of "Deputy".

How about "Former burger flipper sentenced for fast food robbery". Not news worthy I guess.
                He resigned his commission soon after the accident.
                Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4456 users online. 240 members and 4216 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X