300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Back up officer

Does anyone here have a "back up" officer, who you wishes they just wouldn't respond because when they get there, it's like "adding fuel to the fire" of a situation . Tell your stories.....

I have a couple on my shift. I responded to a fight in progess, this was my PSA (I was dispatched as primary), therefor I am in charge. I get there, calm the situation down, start my investigation then he shows up..... He starts to question people I questioned already, I was just about to get the id from one of the uncoopertive persons involved then he butts in and they start to argue. This person puts the id back in thier pocket and almost a fight occurs. This guy is out of control. We brought this to his attention, but he is just nuts. I try and 10-22 (disregard) him when I don't need him or another officers presence on location. Some other officers on the shift try to 10-22 him also..
    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Yah, I've had it happen, fortunately not too often. Don't really know if there's anything you can do, except possibly try some peer pressure, as in you, and a few of the other guys try to set him straight. I don't mean anything physical, just a little serious "heart to heart".

Comment

OOOOOOooooooooooohhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhh!

I've had this happen. To keep it short we had one guy that was constantly doing crap like this. He'd get your suspect all ****ed off and then leave you to deal with it. Finally on one call (domestic) where I was primary and he was backing me I'd had enough. I get there and have everyone calm and speaking like adults when he shows up and starts running his mouth at the very large excon male involved. Well the fight's on. After about 3 minutes of swinging and rolling on the ground we get him under control. I grab my backer's cuffs and hook the guy up. I then pick him up walk him to my backer's car and put him in and said "You instigated this clusterfu*k now clean it up. Oh and by the way, if you ever do some $hit like this again I'm gonna kick your ***." Then I got in my car and drove away.

He complained to our supervisor who already knew this guy's reputation from everyone in the squad. I told him my side and that was the end of it. After that when he backed me he kept his mouth shut.
      Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

I had a similar situation when I worked In security. I recieved a call about a drunk, on the 2nd level exterior, I was by myself at the time, so I was hesitant and cautious, I approached the area from where I could see the area, but anyone there couldn't easily look back. I see the man slumped over in the corner outside by a pile of construction materials. I approach him carefuly, crouch down, with a hand on my knee, and my body angled away so he couldn't see the hand I had on my maglite, and I said

"sup buddy?"

He raised his head up, and he's just snot bubbling, tears everywhere, the guy was cryin so hard his shirt was drenched, he's looking at me, breathing hard. Hear my captain over the radio calling his 10-8; And I don't smell any booze, so I relax my poster and say

"Whats wrong man, you don't look so good?"

Turns out he'd lost his son inside the building, he'd been looking for three hours, and he'd just gotten to his wits end. I get him calmed down, take him by the arm (guy was just dead out of energy) start walking him in, so I can get him sat down, while I find his boy. I get on the radio, informing all traffic, that we had an 11-30 (our code for lost kid), then I hear over the radio that My captain was heading up to assist with the call. I replied okay.

I get about half way to our desk area when my captain comes storming up, and stops us in our tracks, he looks at me and says

"This the guy?"

"yea he los..."

He cuts me off, and starts drilling the guy, with "You can't be drunk in the building", "You need to leave" blah, blah, blah, I have a stick in me bum named authoritah.

And we take this poor pops who was devistated, that i'd spent the last 20 minutes (at least) calming down, and now some dick (pardon my language) comes running up spouting his authority fest at the guy. Captain there had this serious cop complex, couldn't find the line between security and police, serious authority hound.

And I'm to worried about the guys condition to obey my chain of command, and just snap off at the Cap, "Shut the **** up, sir! Your makin it worse, this man has lost his son, start following procedure and look for the kid, I'm first responder, its my scene, my call, and I won't have you messing it up because you have a bug up your behind"

I found the mans son later, kid was worse than the dad, had to carry the poor kiddo all the way back to pops, never saw such a happy dad, its one of those times in life I was thanked and it really stuck with me.

I decided a short while after, that the work environment had become to politcal, and filled with people who didn't understand their station in life, and I just wasn't down with it anymore. We went from really community oriented guys, talking and knowing our traffic, to cuffs, and fights, and this really bad authority position, when before we were a service. Its why I don't do security anymore, couple of bad seeds ruined the party.
        The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

Comment

I think every Department has some of these guys.
          In my career, two stand out:
          One who physically pulled a "Dusted" driver out of his car and the fight was on.

Another who skidded 65 feet to a stop behind my unit. I had a black man in custody for DUI, and his family (Four People) were simply standing and asking me how to get him out of jail after I booked him.All I wanted was another officer to stand by and listen. The Officer then compounded his antagonism by stepping out and leveling a shotgun at the family

Comment

Originally posted by sob153
            Does anyone here have a "back up" officer, who you wishes they just wouldn't respond because when they get there, it's like "adding fuel to the fire"
            I suspect every dept in the US has it's share. I worked three different municipalities, and each had at least one. We called them, "walking cluster _ _ _ _ s" If the heart to heart doesn't work, then perhaps "other" methods may need to be explored (wiring locker, hiding war bag, moving/hiding officer's unit, etc...)
            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop
              One who physically pulled a "Dusted" driver out of his car and the fight was on.

Another who skidded 65 feet to a stop behind my unit. I had a black man in custody for DUI, and his family (Four People) were simply standing and asking me how to get him out of jail after I booked him.All I wanted was another officer to stand by and listen. The Officer then compounded his antagonism by stepping out and leveling a shotgun at the family
              isn't it sad how the hiring process knocks so many good people out, and keeps some of the biggest idiots you've ever seen?
              The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.

Comment

Doesn't every department have at least one of those guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Enikad
                  I had a similar situation when I worked In security. I recieved a call about a drunk, on the 2nd level exterior, I was by myself at the time, so I was hesitant and cautious, I approached the area from where I could see the area, but anyone there couldn't easily look back. I see the man slumped over in the corner outside by a pile of construction materials. I approach him carefuly, crouch down, with a hand on my knee, and my body angled away so he couldn't see the hand I had on my maglite, and I said

"sup buddy?"

He raised his head up, and he's just snot bubbling, tears everywhere, the guy was cryin so hard his shirt was drenched, he's looking at me, breathing hard. Hear my captain over the radio calling his 10-8; And I don't smell any booze, so I relax my poster and say

"Whats wrong man, you don't look so good?"

Turns out he'd lost his son inside the building, he'd been looking for three hours, and he'd just gotten to his wits end. I get him calmed down, take him by the arm (guy was just dead out of energy) start walking him in, so I can get him sat down, while I find his boy. I get on the radio, informing all traffic, that we had an 11-30 (our code for lost kid), then I hear over the radio that My captain was heading up to assist with the call. I replied okay.

I get about half way to our desk area when my captain comes storming up, and stops us in our tracks, he looks at me and says

"This the guy?"

"yea he los..."

He cuts me off, and starts drilling the guy, with "You can't be drunk in the building", "You need to leave" blah, blah, blah, I have a stick in me bum named authoritah.

And we take this poor pops who was devistated, that i'd spent the last 20 minutes (at least) calming down, and now some dick (pardon my language) comes running up spouting his authority fest at the guy. Captain there had this serious cop complex, couldn't find the line between security and police, serious authority hound.

And I'm to worried about the guys condition to obey my chain of command, and just snap off at the Cap, "Shut the **** up, sir! Your makin it worse, this man has lost his son, start following procedure and look for the kid, I'm first responder, its my scene, my call, and I won't have you messing it up because you have a bug up your behind"

I found the mans son later, kid was worse than the dad, had to carry the poor kiddo all the way back to pops, never saw such a happy dad, its one of those times in life I was thanked and it really stuck with me.

I decided a short while after, that the work environment had become to politcal, and filled with people who didn't understand their station in life, and I just wasn't down with it anymore. We went from really community oriented guys, talking and knowing our traffic, to cuffs, and fights, and this really bad authority position, when before we were a service. Its why I don't do security anymore, couple of bad seeds ruined the party.
                  Too bad. You sound like exactly the kind of guy that should be in security.
                  Last edited by MEA0306; 04-15-2007, 11:41 PM.

Life begins at 40...

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop
                    I've had to pull people out of cars....I know alot of alot of Cops who've done it.

Or am I missing something?...did he do it just because the driver ****ed him off?

Comment

Originally posted by MEA0306
                      Too bad. You sound like exactly the kind of guy that should be in security.
                      I hope not.

My aspirations are to dedicated to becoming a sworn police officer, in my home community.
                      The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Traffic_82
                        I've had to pull people out of cars....I know alot of alot of Cops who've done it.

Or am I missing something?...did he do it just because the driver ****ed him off?

well it seems to me, that leaving him in the car until backup arrived may have been a better choice, if the primary officer could tell the person was in fact on PCP or whatever, inside the car is a semi controlled environment no?
                        The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Originally posted by stangfather
                          well it seems to me, that leaving him in the car until backup arrived may have been a better choice, if the primary officer could tell the person was in fact on PCP or whatever, inside the car is a semi controlled environment no?
                          I don't think that the problem was with the officer getting the suspect out of the car, but with the manner that he did it. He said that he "pulled" him out of the car. Sometimes, the way that you talk to people, even the ones on PCP, can keep you out of a fight or at least give you second to plan for the fight. Also, I think the one who got him out of the car was the back-up, so waiting for back-up is already a moot point. Yes, if you have an uncooperative suspect, sometimes it's better to leave them in the car until you can get another unit. It is a semi-controlled environment. The other side to that is, you don't know what's inside the car as far as weapons and the longer you let a suspect sit there, the more time they have to prepare and arm themselves. If you do let them stay in the car until back-up arrives, make sure to get their keys and pay alot of attention to what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by AlabamaCop
                            I don't think that the problem was with the officer getting the suspect out of the car, but with the manner that he did it. He said that he "pulled" him out of the car. Sometimes, the way that you talk to people, even the ones on PCP, can keep you out of a fight or at least give you second to plan for the fight. Also, I think the one who got him out of the car was the back-up, so waiting for back-up is already a moot point. Yes, if you have an uncooperative suspect, sometimes it's better to leave them in the car until you can get another unit. It is a semi-controlled environment. The other side to that is, you don't know what's inside the car as far as weapons and the longer you let a suspect sit there, the more time they have to prepare and arm themselves. If you do let them stay in the car until back-up arrives, make sure to get their keys and pay alot of attention to what they're doing.

thanks thats ptretty much what i was thinking, my primary instructor liked to talk about how alot of cops start thier fights by carrying a "cocked and loaded tounge", and i agree.
                            The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

My partner and I turned on this car and as we spun around the car sped up. As we are coming over this hill we see the car turn hard right, they didn't know the area because it was a dead end. My partner called out we had a possible chase right before the car turned so other guys in the area we on the way. We get the two, both 16 and in their H.S. golf team shirts, out of the car and then the cavalry shows up. By this time we had already told central we were secure but this "one guy" comes screaming up to us and jumps out of his car and just lays into these two kids, who were already in tears. These two didn't know what hit them, we weren't yelling at them(anymore) and as we're trying to calm them down guess who gets them going again. we cut them a break a figured the verbal punishment was enough.
                              Oh yeah the "one guy" is now a det. sgt.!
                              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3021 users online. 180 members and 2841 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X