300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario: Deal or No Deal?

Here's one for everyone, LE and civilians welcome.

You have been charged with a felony you didn't commit. Although you know you are innocent, you have no decent alibi because, let's face it, sometimes you're just sitting around the house by yourself. The case against you is based on the testimony of one questionable witness, and lots of circumstantial evidence. After examining everything during discovery, your lawyer informs you that, in his estimation, it could go either way at trial. If convicted, you face a minimum of 15 years before parole.

Two weeks before trial, the prosecutor offers a honey of a deal. 10 years probation, no jail time. In exchange, you must plead guilty, making a public statement in the media (high profile case), and write apologies to your victim's family members.

My question: how much is your sworn word ("So help me God") worth to you?
    Can you justify lying to stay out of prison for sure? Or do you feel an obligation to yourself to tell the truth, no matter what the consequences to you may be? Remember, it's not just the guilty plea - you have to admit to this crime a LOT, publicly and in writing. In essence, you're giving your word that you did it, when in fact you did not.

I'll save my answer a few days and see if anyone wants to reply.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

WOW!!

I just can't see myself admiting to a crime, in your case, a violent crime that I didn't do! Would I risk prison? Yes, because I would probably have soo much faith for the legal system to work! I do believe that there are some innocent people in prison but I would just have to keep in faith with our legal system...

I have always pondered this question too. I have always thought that I would be like Mr. Cage in Con Air! But unless I am seriously in that scenerio, I would really not know. ALL SIGNS POINT TO NO!!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Comment

I would never ever give anyone an apology for something I did not do. The last I recall Id be innocent before proven guity....the plea would be rejected and the trial would be underway. If Im innocent Im not going to admit to being guity. The funny thing..many criminals who know they are guilty have gotten off the hook..it would be my luck Id go away for 15
      And the road becomes my bride.

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop
        Can you justify lying to stay out of prison for sure? Or do you feel an obligation to yourself to tell the truth, no matter what the consequences to you may be? Remember, it's not just the guilty plea - you have to admit to this crime a LOT, publicly and in writing. In essence, you're giving your word that you did it, when in fact you did not.

I'll save my answer a few days and see if anyone wants to reply.
        i've been in a similar situation, although the sentence wasn't as long, 3 years instead of 15 (class d felony). this was about 30 or so years ago so i don't remember the details but the short story is that i would not take a plea bargain and got 6 months. i seriously doubt if i would lie to save my butt from prison.

Comment

If I was innocent I would not lie to stay out of prison. Hopefully the Justice system works out the right way. But if it didn't I'd take the time given to me. Then be rich when I sued and won after they found out that I was innocent.
          The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

You would be crazy not to take the plea offer. Just because you are convicted doesn't mean that you will stay convicted. Convictions are remanded for resentencing or overturned all the time. You will be much more successful fighting your conviction or even finding the real perpetrator from your own home rather than prison. You will be able to work and earn money to hire attorneys, investigators, and expert witnesses. You will have the freedom to do much of the necessary legwork and assist with research and interviews yourself. It's pretty hard to do much of anything from prison except time.
            "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

Originally posted by hankrearden2000
              You would be crazy not to take the plea offer. Just because you are convicted doesn't mean that you will stay convicted. Convictions are remanded for resentencing or overturned all the time. You will be much more successful fighting your conviction or even finding the real perpetrator from your own home rather than prison. You will be able to work and earn money to hire attorneys, investigators, and expert witnesses. You will have the freedom to do much of the necessary legwork and assist with research and interviews yourself. It's pretty hard to do much of anything from prison except time.
              But IF you somehow proved that you didnt do it, but did not find the perpertrator (sp?), could you look the victim/victims family in the eyes and say you lied to them? Gave them a false sense of justice. Tell the world, everyone you meet the same?

Comment

Why, Hell yes. I'm innocent, remember? If they have any complaints, direct them to the prosecutor.
                "Keep up the good fight, pass the word, and teach others to fight back when unjustly assaulted--be it on the street or in the courtroom. Self-defense is a normal, moral act. So teach your family, friends, and students practical defense against both physical and legal marauders." by Jerry VanCook www.PrisonOfficer.Org

Comment

The truth shall set you free. Every time. No deal.
                  The All New
                  BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Probation still sucks. No deal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3681 users online. 232 members and 3449 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X