300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law enforcement later in life

Just wanted to see if there were any female officers out there who decided to become a LEO a little later in life. I'm in my early 30's and have decided to pursue it. I hope to enter the police academy this August. Those that are officers, are you married with children? How was it on your families? I am married but do not have children yet. Thought I would see if anyone was in the same boat as me or was tossing the idea around.

Yes, I am in the same boat here. I am 32 and starting over from being in the military for the last 10 years. I was disqualified for a medical issue from serving further. Now I am focused on becoming a police officer and plan on attending the academy next year. For now its just working, working out, and studying to hopefully make that change. Good luck if you decide to persue your dreams further!

Comment

2 months away from 30 here!
      The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

I worked with an officer that went to the academy at about 35. She had been a civilian fingerprint tech in the same department for several years, but her marriage was falling apart and she needed more income than she would have been able to pull in from the tech job. She worked out, ran a lot, got through the academy and FTO easily, and eventually retired with a total of 30 years in the system between her police officer and fingerprint tech time. If her age was ever a factor, she didn't mention it. She was well thought of and a pleasure to work with.

Her biggest problem was in getting enough sleep when her children were young. When she started as an officer, her daughter was about 10 and her son 6. Not having much seniority, she had to work the graveyard shift, and she had the kids much of the day. Between court and having to tend to their needs, she was sleep deprived for a long time. However, she got so accustomed to working at night that she stayed on the graveyard shift after she had enough seniority to get off of it.

Don't let a number stop you. Consider this: if you didn't know how old you were, how old would you feel? I think I could go back to active law enforcement today (I'm 53) if it wasn't for my hearing loss. I see many younger officers that I know are in worse shape than me. The biggest obstacles to getting where you want to be are the ones you create for yourself.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

I am a f / 50 yrs old , starting a whole new life over and working on my applications for a l.e. job .

Im in good health ,my weight is good although i do know i need to start a good workout and gym program to prepare myself for academy and dept standards , i dont think i could walk in cold right this week into an academy until after i know i am in shape for the tests etc so i am working through that first then applying . I want to do it right the first time and not wash out of the p.t. part and have to go back through .

I dont feel old , look old etc , i have some prior background experience in l.e. and something i have always loved , so i see no reason i cant go after it any different than a younger person . I figure i have already done the first 50 years of my life for everyone else , now its time to do what I want for the next 50 . If i make it into a dept thats great , if my age hinders me , than there are other jobs within the l.e. community, i could do also is my thought .

Reality Advice anyone ?

Comment

Our dpt is going more and more to retired military....so its nothing to have 3-5 people in an academy class that are between 38-40's....My school hada guy that was 43 in it.

Sometimes older "rookies" bring a lot of life experience that cannot be taught, and the younger guys, that have more time on, can still learn a lot from them. The oldest guy in my office only has 2 years on, and he is a great police....it depends more on the type of person than the age in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Coffee
              I am a f / 50 yrs old , starting a whole new life over and working on my applications for a l.e. job .

Im in good health ,my weight is good although i do know i need to start a good workout and gym program to prepare myself for academy and dept standards , i dont think i could walk in cold right this week into an academy until after i know i am in shape for the tests etc so i am working through that first then applying . I want to do it right the first time and not wash out of the p.t. part and have to go back through .

I dont feel old , look old etc , i have some prior background experience in l.e. and something i have always loved , so i see no reason i cant go after it any different than a younger person . I figure i have already done the first 50 years of my life for everyone else , now its time to do what I want for the next 50 . If i make it into a dept thats great , if my age hinders me , than there are other jobs within the l.e. community, i could do also is my thought .

Reality Advice anyone ?
              *&^$ reality...GO FOR IT!

I am. I am 45.

Life begins at 40...

Comment

Thanks for all your replys. I am very determined to do this and hope to bring something beneficial to a dept. if I get hired. I'm sure it's natural for a woman my age to look both at starting a new career vs starting a family. I always wanted to become a cop ever since I can remember but didn't have the confidence back then. Now that I'm older I realize that I can do it and feel that now is better late than never.

Comment

Its all mentality and not being mental.
                  Patrick
                  Excuses only please the one telling them!

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.

Comment

I'm 22 and about to get out of the academy. The second fastest runner in our class is also the oldest -almost 40. He also scores exceptionally well on all the tests. Its more about fitness level than age. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5648 users online. 332 members and 5316 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X