This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Experience Instead of College to be a Houston Cadet

To get into Houston's Police Academy, right now you have to have 60 college hours or 5 years LE experience.

HPD Chief Hurt talked to a cop/civilian group recently, and said that they are trying to get requirements changed, so that a person can be admitted to to the academy withOUT any college or LE experience, IF he has 2-4 years military experience.

Do you think serving in the military is interchangeable with book-learnin', or with actual LE experience?

I can see where people who've been in the military would be good with guns and good at following orders. But I think they would NOT make good LE people - UNTIL they had some debriefing from war tactics and some instruction on dealing with people. Not every person an officer encounters on the job is the enemy, after all. College makes for a more rounded individual, who knows how to THINK.

Originally posted by the Chools
    To get into Houston's Police Academy, right now you have to have 60 college hours or 5 years LE experience.

HPD Chief Hurt talked to a cop/civilian group recently, and said that they are trying to get requirements changed, so that a person can be admitted to to the academy withOUT any college or LE experience, IF he has 2-4 years military experience.

Do you think serving in the military is interchangeable with book-learnin', or with actual LE experience?

I can see where people who've been in the military would be good with guns and good at following orders. But I think they would NOT make good LE people - UNTIL they had some debriefing from war tactics and some instruction on dealing with people. Not every person an officer encounters on the job is the enemy, after all. College makes for a more rounded individual, who knows how to THINK.

So you're gonna bunch all of us military folks into a group of people who:

1. Don't know how to think
    2. Everyone we encounter is the enemy
    3. Must be debriefed from 'war tactics'
    4. Needs instructions on how to deal with people
    5. basically 'only' good at guns and following orders...

Your disrespect and generalization towards service members is disgusting. I would guess that a larger percentage of the law enforcement officers on this board (and in general) are prior service.

Let me tell you how wrong you are in your generalizations:

1. I do know how to think: In Iraq, when a soldier took a round to the head, I had to use my brain to provide medical aid. There are HUNDREDS of other examples from Iraq and stateside I could provide..just ask.

2. Everyone we encounter is the enemy: The other night at a Top Food, a gangbanger didn't like me and my fiance for some reason. I deescelated the situation verbally rather than physically.

3. We must be debriefed from 'war tactics': read above

4. Need instructions on how to deal with people: read above

5. Only good at guns and following orders: I don't like firearms anymore than I like tomatoes. I use them when I have to and do so with skill. I can follow orders, but I also have the authority to give orders and do so with sound judgement, integrity and responsibility. I proved this under fire and have the decorations to back it up.

My last oral board with a law enforcement agency, only two people recieved conditional letters of hire. Myself and a former Detroit PD Officer. He had a BA and I didn't...out of over 2 dozen people.
    Last edited by timothy.dunkin; 04-12-2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

College makes for a more rounded individual, who knows how to THINK.
      Are you implying that military people do not know how to think? I know many Marines I was in the Corps with I would put up against ANY 4 year college graduate, on ANY day of the week. Just because someone goes to college does not make them more well rounded than a military person. They just have a different form of education. If I was a department chief/sheriff, I would prefer military experience over college. The military experienced people will already know how to work under pressure, deal with the daily stress, and know how to make those split second life and death decisions that have to be made while extremely stressed.

UNTIL they had some debriefing from war tactics and some instruction on dealing with people.
      Again, another semi-ignorant statement (just my opinion). Just because someone is in the military does not mean they have no people skills, or are "war mongers." Alot of time spent in a war zone is dealing with people. Watch the news sometime. You will see many instances where people skills have to be used. Yes, SOME people come back from war messed up. But, in actuality, ANY traumatic experience can mess someone up. Not just war.

LE work is a some-what paramilitary career. Hence why many departments across the world will substitute military experience for college. Also, as you stated in your post above, many departments will substitute 2 years of military for 4 years of college. That statement, in itself, must say something for the type and caliber of people in today's miltary.

Comment

Originally posted by timothy.dunkin
        DQ'd during MEPS from the Navy for having sand in your vagina.
        I just had to laugh.. haha!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_DTO_77
          I just had to laugh.. haha!
          Haha..thanks. I decided to be more respectful.

Comment

Oh man I hated MEPS. That place sucks. Like others have said, a large amount of police officers have prior military experience. I'd rather have someone who was in the military (especially a Marine...Semper Fi) watching my back than some guy with a college degree who thinks he's better because he has a piece of paper. All it is is just paying for a piece of paper.
            Complete write up of the process with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) - http://forums.officer.com/t187923/

Comment

Wow, hard to believe their are people out there that think like the original poster. Have you been in the military AND in college? I'll be graduating this summer and i can tell you there are plenty of college students i wouldn't trust with making handburgers at McDs, let alone be a police officer.
              "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

As usual, Chools, you prove yourself to be a complete idiot living in a bubble.

Comment

It has been my experience that a good number of military members have college experience or are in enrolled in college classes while serving in the military. Some even take online classes while deployed to Iraq (I was one of them). Nothing I have learned in college has prepared me for ANYTHING in the real world...the military on the other had has. There have been many situations that I have faced outside of the military that I was able to smile at and say "Thats all you got?" due to what I did and saw in the military. Hate to say it because I am in college now but the degree is just a piece of paper that helps open some doors....it is common sense and experince (which the military gives ample amounts of) that keep the doors open and allows you to walk through. Some of this guys statements are just plain silly.
                  "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

By the way...Semper Fi to the warriors on here!!
                    "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

Hmm, no book learnin' huh. Hold on while I get this hay stock out of my gums before I git to writin'. Well, I guess the fact that the school I went to in the Navy was second only to MIT in how hard it was to pass at the time counts for nothing because I didn't graduate from Rice, UT or A&M. Many of the military schools are much harder than anything they teach in college. Let me see here, degree in art history or four years in the service where you learn about a whole heck of a lot more. Who do you want in a patrol car?
                      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Marine Corps Electronics School was real tough for me too. I studied my butt off, participated in class, worked with study groups, stayed after class for remedial training and I still barely passed. Alot of that stuff was calculas based so I could never get it. I have never had a college course that was as hard as that school!!

Comment

A HAHAHAHA your a TOOL! And its kind of disgusting!

Comment

I also like to know exactly college makes you "more rounded." Who informed you that we weren't allowed to think. I for one know that not only was I allowed to, I was ordered to think. I took a job on the mess deck of the USS Enterprise for my last 10 months in and if you want a job that teaches you how to work with people that one is it. I had from 40 to 80 young Sailors, Marines, Airmen and Soldiers under me at any one time. A good half of them were trying to figure out ways to get booted out of the service and it was my job to make sure they not only showed up every day but that they did their jobs. I pride myself on not one of them going UA on my watch and that I improved the decks for both them and the crew. Lemme see, toughest thing you face in college, calculus, what to wear on Friday night, where you're going to get your next keg???
                            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

My favorite part in this whole thing is your arguing that being the Military doesn't qualify you to attend the Academy because servicemembers don't know how to be Police Officers. Isn't that the point of attending the Police Academy?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4360 users online. 246 members and 4114 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X