300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Dinwiddie-Richmond Tank Pursuit

I am shocked...SHOCKED, I say...that no one has posted about this yet!

A Va National Guard Lt. absconded with an armored personnel carrier, leaving Fort Pickett and headed up US-460/I-85/I-95 for Richmond...he was stopped downtown, a stones throw or so from Richmond City Hall.

Photos and video at the link

RICHMOND, Va. -- A man who fled in a stolen armored personnel vehicle from Virginia State troopers surrendered Tuesday night and is now in police custody, according to Virginia State Police.

“The driver of the armored personnel carrier had stopped the vehicle and surrendered to Virginia State Police," said Corrine Geller, Virginia State Police spokesperson. "The vehicle stopped at East Broad Street and 11th Street in the City of Richmond.”

The suspect was taken into police custody around 9:40 p.m.

The male suspect was Tased after not following troopers commands, according to State Police Sgt. Keeli Hill. Sources said he has been transported to VCU Medical Center with minor injuries.

Crime insider sources said the suspect, whose name has not been released, is a Virginia Army National Guard Lieutenant and lives in the Fan area of Richmond.

Sources added the Lieutenant is a commander with an engineering battalion at Fort Pickett.

CBS 6 senior reporter Wayne Covil reported the suspect stole the military vehicle from Fort Pickett and drove it from Nottoway County to I-85 to I-95 in Richmond.

State Police said at 7:55 p.m., they were notified that the vehicle, which is not equipped with a weapon, was taken from Fort Pickett, a National Guard base in Blackstone.

They pursued the vehicle after receiving the initial report and traveled along with it from Nottoway County to downtown Richmond.

The armored vehicle was driven at a maximum speed of about 40 mph, according to State Police.

There were no crashes or injuries involving the vehicle during the pursuit, police said.
    A witness, who saw part of the pursuit play on West Broad Street near VCU, said he knew something was wrong when he heard the thunderous sound of the military vehicle.

“It just seemed like something out of a movie. I heard a large vehicle, it sounded like a tank, but it was moving pretty fast,” said Brian Wingert.

Charges are pending against the driver while the investigation continues.

Stay with CBS 6 for the latest on this developing story.
    And a couple more links with updates.

OH...the guy says he was authorized to take the ride so the Va.N.G. could 'Gauge Law Enforcement Response'

Yeah...sure. Me thinks the now very likely-former Lt. is is a HEAP o' trouble.

A couple more links with updated info..

Soldier, charged with driving on drugs, appears to have been tweeting from stolen military vehicle

Suspect in police custody after pursuit in stolen armored vehicle

Last edited by photone; 06-08-2018, 03:50 PM.

I like the pic of him, in uniform, throwing a gang sign.

Lieutenant Folk.
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Lieutenants gone wild. Somehow not surprised.

Comment

I think we have an army lawyer around here somewhere. I’m curious to hear the plethora of reasons why Lt. Yabut shouldn’t be tossed in the brig.

Criminal justice reform? Over incarceration of our society? Perhaps an undue command influence created by the Commander in Chief?
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Wait...what the hell? You can't get high and drive around in a tank anymore? What is this county coming too? SMH
          I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

But, he's a good boy. He's even turned his life around as demonstrated by the fact that not only did he join the National Guard to serve his community and country, but he worked hard and was promoted to Lieutenant. That certainly has to count for something.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              But, he's a good boy. He's even turned his life around as demonstrated by the fact that not only did he join the National Guard to serve his community and country, but he worked hard and was promoted to Lieutenant. That certainly has to count for something.
              Just visualizing the question coming soon in "ask a cop" / hiring+recruitment section 8)

I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Shaidon View Post

Just visualizing the question coming soon in "ask a cop" / hiring+recruitment section 8)
                I reminded me of the Menendez brothers, who murdered their parents and then asked for the court's mercy because they were now orphans.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  I think we have an army lawyer around here somewhere. I’m curious to hear the plethora of reasons why Lt. Yabut shouldn’t be tossed in the brig.

Criminal justice reform? Over incarceration of our society? Perhaps an undue command influence created by the Commander in Chief?
                  The Navy has brigs. The Army has stockades.

Comment

• reils49
                    reils49 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Brig has 1 syllable, stockade has 2. I’m a former Marine. Cut me some slack.

We have D-Cells too :-)
                  USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                  "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                  DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

The big green weenie made him do it. Or whatever the army version of that is. Next is that per basic marriage failing, buying a car at the closest dealership to your duty station and last but not least taking every pay day loan available to ball out on Oakleys and boogie boards for that big party going on at lake bandini.
                    Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 06-12-2018, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Oh come on, guys. Like none of you have ever stolen a tank to pick up women? Everyone knows armored vehicles are chick magnets.

Comment

Then steal something cool like an Abrams or even a Bradley
                        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                        DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

"driving on drugs" It's a trend now aday.

Report: Drugged driving increases as drunk driving falls
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RRierP59BU

"...There were no crashes or injuries...."

This is something... while impaired
                          Be sure to smile for the cameras.....

Comment

Originally posted by J2H View Post
                            Then steal something cool like an Abrams or even a Bradley
                            Like the guy in San Diego a few decades ago.
                            This Space For Rent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8969 users online. 349 members and 8620 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X