300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth About Anarchism.

I may as well say openly that I am, in fact, an anarchist. While I know that many of you will automatically jump to conclusions about me, I wish to set the record straight about my ideology. Most people assume that "anarchy" is simply a society without rules or order. This is simply false. Anarchism is not a nihilistic *philosophy*, but a concrete political *system*. Anarchists desire a society without *hierarchy*, not without order.

Anarchism is a topic that I very much enjoy discussing with people. If you could please refrain from attacks and simply ask questions or present arguments in a civil and respectful manner, I will most certainly do the same. I wish this to be an intelligent discussion of issues and not a mud-slinging contest.

In order to give this discussion somewhat of a framework, I would like people to familiarize themselves to some extent with the "Anarchist FAQ", which can be found at www.anarchistfaq.org.

Some common questions that this FAQ answers are as follows:

"Are anarchists in favour of organisation?";

"Are anarchists in favour of 'absolute'
    liberty?"

and

"Do anarchists support terrorism?"

Please realize beforehand that I will not respond to questions or arguments that are based upon the premise that anarchy and chaos are synonymous. This is simply a falsehood. If I am presented with such an argument or question, I will simply refer you to the appropriate section of the FAQ.

How old are you anyway?
    Education is nothing without experience to back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone:
      How old are you anyway?
      How is that relevant?

Comment

If we have no hierarchical structure, how will things not degenerate into chaos? For instance, if you work somewhere and are told to do something, to keep your job you do it. But, if I understand correctly, in your society, that chain of command does not exist. So, how would anything get done?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTx:
          If we have no hierarchical structure, how will things not degenerate into chaos? For instance, if you work somewhere and are told to do something, to keep your job you do it. But, if I understand correctly, in your society, that chain of command does not exist. So, how would anything get done?
          Under the capitalist system, the sole job of workers is simply to physically produce goods while managerial decisions are made by a boss who pays the workers a flat wage. Under anarchy, however, wage work does not exist and the workers make the decisions of a boss collectively. In order to do this, all the workers at a given workplace (like a steel mill, for example) form what is called a "workers' syndicate." It is up to these syndicates to see to it that the product reaches the community. The size of each shipment is determined by orders which the community submits to the syndicate. Once they recieve these orders, the workers must see to it that enough of the product is manufactured, that there are enough trucks and drivers to distribute it, etc. Such decisions are made at regular assemblies of the syndicate where the workers discuss, debate, and vote upon the best courses of action for making production and distrobution most efficient. All decisions that affect the workplace are made at such assemblies via direct democracy.

Similar institutions actually exist within our current society, as a matter of fact. There are already workers' cooperatives in existence that manage their workplace and distribute profits equally among everyone. The key difference between these cooperatives and anarchist workers' syndicates is that the latter produces goods to fulfill the needs of the community while the former produces them for the financial gain of the workers.

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: militant_mind ]

Comment

To your knowledge, has this system ever worked anywhere?

Comment

FYI, capitalism really only works here. Communism has only worked in China. Anarchy has never been tried.

Comment

They sound like the Borg
                "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

I'd just love to move to China! Wouldn't you all? What a crock...China sucks.

Comment

troll droppings deleted

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: Niteshift ]

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTx:
                      China sucks.
                      Have you been there? or are you just making that statement based on what you have seen on TV?

Comment

troll dropping deleted

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: Niteshift ]

Comment

OK, outlet, here's the deal. We're being overrun by you, militant mind and punkboy. It's done...it's over...leave. You have nothing to offer this board in the way of meaningful conversation or deep thought. In other words, you're beyond thin ice and about to fall in.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4733 users online. 264 members and 4469 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X