300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-up question to psych. DQ

Most are aware at this point on what happened.

Trying to wrap my head around how references from your Sergeant, Chief and fellow officers (of four years) hold so little weight, to the point of being automatically DQ'd should the psych come back negative. Perhaps a negative psych. eval could be a liability, opening up the S.O. to a lawsuit if they put someone on the road who hadn't been recommended by the psychologist?

So I don't spend another $1900, complete every single stage of a process, have a job waiting for me, have the Sergeant's friend realtor call me about buying, only for every bit of it to be wiped away with a "no" by a psychologist, I plan to discuss these findings with the S.O. next-door to that county, who I just applied to, whether they also DQ me right then and there or offer up a different answer.

In 2012 I was DQ'd, same situation, and he stated in his report that I'd likely turn to the bottle or drugs. Kind of interesting because six years later, including 18 months of part-time patrol, a decent amount of work as a reserve, and 14+ years as a National Guardsman, that assessment of drinking and drugs couldn't be farther from the truth, yet it was taken as the gospel there as well.

.... was there a question in there?

Comment

Yep. Question or rant..?
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Whether there is actually liability in hiring someone a psych. said shouldn’t.

Comment

Yes. There is.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Heard loud and clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio1408 View Post
              Whether there is actually liability in hiring someone a psych. said shouldn’t.
              Yes, there is liability for an agency for doing and/or not doing just about anything in this business. In my experience if a candidate fails a psych review then an agency would NOT then hire that candidate. That is certainly a universal situation in MY experience. Has it happened...? Undoubtedly, but I've never seen it done.

In 2012 I was DQ'd, same situation,......

I, obviously, find this bothersome and concerning. If it has happened more than once and with different examiners/evaluators than I'd say there is definitely something there that is needing your attention....if for nothing else than your own health and well being.

I recommend that you find a clinical psychologist and have that person collect both of those psych evaluations and sit down with you and discuss what are the main issue(s). That way it's private and you can have professional help is either finding a way to allay the concerns of future evaluators' in other hiring opportunities or you will might find that you need help with something and will have a professional 'on your side' to assist you.

Either way, good luck and try a let go of any resentment toward the agencies trying to choose the best candidates. They are just trying to do what they think is in their best interests.
              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

$2500. I wont be. I will disclose all these results immediately because Id rather be told no at the outset than go through this again. And if they still think it's worth their time even with two "no's" then they can make that call.
                Last edited by Ohio1408; 05-14-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Do you have problems with depression? Is there a history of drug and or alcohol problems in your family? Have you abused alcohol or medications in the past?
                  Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
                  President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
                  President Jefferson Davis

Comment

Here is a question I wish the mental health professionals would answer honestly:

How is it that the mental health community believes that the brains of young people are so immature that they should not be held criminally responsible for their actions, yet they hold actions committed by or even against young people against them when applying for law enforcement careers. Those positions are contradictory.

Your telling me that a teenager doesn't know assaulting a police officer is wrong, but a 30 year old can be DQ for seeing a counselor at age 4 because of a divorce???

Comment

Trying to wrap my head around how references from your Sergeant, Chief and fellow officers (of four years) hold so little weight,
                      References are looked at during a law enforcement application with bated breath

Who in their right mind is going to ask someone for a reference unless that reference is favorable to them.

Most Background Investigators look for their own “references”. They look for someone who has little influence in the community.....yet knows you and asks their opinion of you. That might be your ex-wife, someone you arrested or that guy you buy the daily newspaper from every day. Someone who has nothing to gain by telling the truth.

Oh you would be surprised how much you can find out from people like the ex.............A BI should be able to filter out the hate or dislike....but still get the real you.

The opinion of the town drunk you arrested 10 times last year my not sound “fair' but do you want to guess how many times that guy will tell an investigator that Officer Snuffy is an ok guy who always treated me fairly? Or say what a arsehole you are when you didn't really have to be.

The people you deal with and work with on a regular basis have formed an opinion of you that might or might not have anything to do with your professional demeanor. It may show an investigator the “real you”

to the point of being automatically DQ'd should the psych come back negative.
                      Step back and look at this sentence from the viewpoint of the administrator of the agency

A trained medical professional who has expertise in advanced mental health training has examined an individual and determined that a candidates personality profile is one that is not compatible with the rigors of the law enforcement profession. This examination may or may not have been conducted using a Nationally known and respected personality profile tool (MMPI or similar test) as well as an in person interview.

How is that going to look when the officer is hired and 10 yrs later is found to me another Drew Peterson or as in the case of a former co-worker of mine...........an arsonist.

I might add that the former co-worker went through TWO background investigations & psychological tests.

Perhaps a negative psych. eval could be a liability, opening up the S.O. to a lawsuit if they put someone on the road who hadn't been recommended by the psychologist?
                      SEE ABOVE

So I don't spend another $1900, complete every single stage of a process, have a job waiting for me, have the Sergeant's friend realtor call me about buying, only for every bit of it to be wiped away with a "no" by a psychologist, I plan to discuss these findings with the S.O. next-door to that county, who I just applied to, whether they also DQ me right then and there or offer up a different answer.
                      Probably a waste of time........................if you are not a candidate at that agency NOTHING they tell you means a bucket of warm spit. It would be all hypothetical.

In 2012 I was DQ'd, same situation, and he stated in his report that I'd likely turn to the bottle or drugs
                      His opinion. It's an educated opinion but and opinion none the less

. Kind of interesting because six years later, including 18 months of part-time patrol, a decent amount of work as a reserve, and 14+ years as a National Guardsman, that assessment of drinking and drugs couldn't be farther from the truth, yet it was taken as the gospel there as well
                      It obviously was enough for the psychologist to have the same outcome in 2018. THAT tells me there is something there.................something underlying in your psyche that is troubling to a trained mental health professional

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If two different psychologists have DQ'd you for LE work, a third one will probably (99.99999%) do the same.

Here's the deal: it's one aspect of the testing process you can't self-improve on. Say you failed the PT test- well, you could then train harder, do more sit ups, more push ups. Say they said you didn't have enough education- you could then go enroll in school. Say you didn't have enough real world experience- you could get a steady job for awhile, or join the military. Doesn't work that way with the psych exam though. It's the objective and subjective determination of a mental health doctor.

It's also designed so people can't game the process. People often fail when they answer with what they think are the 'right' answers. That's not what they are looking for. They are looking for patterns and themes, consistent or inconsistent thinking.

People often take it personally, and for good reason. No one wants to admit a psych DQ ended getting their dream job. But the low dirty truth is there were indicators that led two professionals to make a determination that LE wasn't a good fit for you. Maybe someday you'll look back and agree.

If I had the time, I would type out stories from many people I know who, for whatever reasons, either didn't make it through the hiring process, or didn't have a very long career. They all found their niche, and many went on to have very successful (and lucrative) careers doing something other than LE. Conversely, I could also type out stories of people I know who had no business getting in LE but did, and the disastrous outcomes that resulted.
                        "I keep six honest serving men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who."

-Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Most are aware at this point on what happened.

Trying to wrap my head around how references from your Sergeant, Chief and fellow officers (of four years) hold so little weight, to the point of being automatically DQ'd should the psych come back negative. Perhaps a negative psych. eval could be a liability, opening up the S.O. to a lawsuit if they put someone on the road who hadn't been recommended by the psychologist?

In 2012 I was DQ'd, same situation, and he stated in his report that I'd likely turn to the bottle or drugs. Kind of interesting because six years later, including 18 months of part-time patrol, a decent amount of work as a reserve, and 14+ years as a National Guardsman, that assessment of drinking and drugs couldn't be farther from the truth, yet it was taken as the gospel there as well.
                          It sounds like 2 different psychologists rendered their educated and experienced opinion on you after interviewing you, and it was accepted by the Chiefs and / or political appointess that make up the HR / Recruiting of the one, or two, Agencies that you applied to.
                          If it is a case of simply acknowledging it, and showing that you have taken steps to address it (counselling, yoga, whatever), then do so.
                          if it is more complicated than that, then it sounds like you at the cross-road to either keep butting your head against that Recruiting door, or to go onto another career path.
                          The other path sounds like it will eventually lead to contentment and peace.
                          Just remember: no matter what you do, you will eventually die; why not experience some peace and contentment between now and then?
                          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                          "Smile" - no!

Comment

Find a different line of work. Best case scenario, you keep getting rejected and finally decide to move on. Worse case scenario, some agency hires you, and an incident occurs where you go bezerk and give fellow LEO yet another “black eye”.

Go seek help from a therapist and figure out what your issues are so you can better your health. Two medical professionals from two separate agencies who probably have no knowledge of each other coming to the same conclusion looks pretty bad for you getting any favorable results in the future.

Good luck!
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                              Find a different line of work. Best case scenario, you keep getting rejected and finally decide to move on. Worse case scenario, some agency hires you, and an incident occurs where you go bezerk and give fellow LEO yet another “black eye”.

Go seek help from a therapist and figure out what your issues are so you can better your health. Two medical professionals from two separate agencies who probably have no knowledge of each other coming to the same conclusion looks pretty bad for you getting any favorable results in the future.

Good luck!

In your words, best case scenario is ...... I never get hired... interesting.

They had no knowledge of each other? Wrong bucko. The second already knew the results of the first.

And ..... Before I go berzerk and give an LEO yet .... another(?).... black eye?(?) Why dont you go in to details about this allegation

Sounds to me you are either making things up, think you know more than you do, or just trolling.
                              Last edited by Ohio1408; 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8211 users online. 355 members and 7856 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X