• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profiling or probability?

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/87350

Daniel Enrique Garcia

messages tipped off police to man arrested for slaying
    Christian Richardson, Tribune
    Text messages found in a slain Mesa mom’s cell phone tipped off authorities to search for a 32-year-old man arrested Thursday — a year after her death, court documents say.
    Watch Tribune reporter Nicole Beyer's report

The capture of Daniel Enrique Garcia brings relief to the mother of Christine Ann Wood, who was 22-years-old when she was killed March 19, 2006 at her apartment at 718 S. Alma School Road.

“The first thing I did was thank God ... for when they found this person,” said her mother, Criselda Rodriguez.

Rodriguez described her daughter as one-of-a-kind, intelligent and funny, but said she blames a group of women whom she hung out with and trusted for her demise.

Following the slaying, Mesa detectives analyzed Wood’s phone and discovered several messages between the 22-year-old and Garcia, who police say frequented Chandler but hung out in south Phoenix.

“The text messages indicated the defendant was involved in the drug trade and he and Ms. Wood had a sexual relationship,” according to the Maricopa County Superior Court document.

Mesa police spokesman Detective Johnny Lopez said the police department is not yet revealing whether or not Wood was associated with the drug trade.

A friend had found Wood’s apartment door ajar on March 19. When police arrived, they discovered her two sons, then ages 18 months and 2, clinging to her bloody body. According to the court document, she was wearing only a bra.

Wood was shot in the front of her head, according to a report from the Maricopa County Office of the Medical Examiner. A toxicology analysis showed that she had methamphetamine and amphetamine in her system.

Rodriguez said she thinks her daughter was forced to use the drugs.

On July 20, 2006, police physically linked Garcia’s DNA to Wood based on evidence gathered at the scene, the court document says.

On Thursday, the U.S. Marshals Service caught Garcia in Phoenix after they tracked his Chrysler Le Baron to an apartment at 40th Street and Indian School Road. Garcia tried to run but found himself surrounded at gunpoint and was arrested about 11 a.m. on suspicion of second-degree murder and possession of dangerous drug paraphernalia.

Garcia told police he had consensual sex with Wood, who he said he later shot and killed when his gun accidently fired, the court document says. He said he then fled in a red mini-van.

Neighbors told officers they heard the single gunshot between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. and, according to the court document, said they saw two Hispanic males exit the hallway leading from her apartment. However, no one called 911.

The text messages indicate that Garcia and another male visited Wood at 4:46 a.m. at her apartment, the court document says.

Lopez stated that the case is an ongoing investigation with more interviews to be conducted.

On May 1, 2003, Garcia was arrested after a Phoenix apartment complex security guard found him in possession of a .357-caliber handgun and methamphetamine. In October of that year, he was sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for weapons misconduct and also received a three-year probation for drug paraphernalia possession, according to Maricopa County Superior Court documents. The probation was to be served after he was released.

On Oct. 22, 2005, Garcia left prison and on May 8, 2006, the court issued a warrant for probation violation.

Profiling or Probabilty?

How many of you that work the Street would take a look at this guy and think," He's dirty for something"?

The shaved head and the scruffy mustache tell me he lives in the culture of crime and hates cops.

The three names --Daniel Enrique Garcia-- tend to lead me to suspect that he is an Illegal alien.

Comment

Shaved head? Lotta cops shave their heads. Can't ding him for that. Same goes for his mustache. I can't tangibly identify anything in his appearance that would make me suspicious except for the healing wound.

It's the intangibles that count. What I get out of that photo is more in the facial expression. There might be body language that is telling as well. You know, the slouch, grouch, and shuffle attitude.

I'm glad they got him.

Comment

^^ same. The wounds are what stood out for me but that's about it.

Comment

I agree the wound stands out. As far as his look, well, that's a mug shot not too many people are excited about being arrested. If he's been to prison and he's into drugs out there I'm sure he's in with surenos, norenos, or the mexican mafia. Just a hunch.
          "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by xraodcop
            How many of you that work the Street would take a look at this guy and think," He's dirty for something"?

The shaved head and the scruffy mustache tell me he lives in the culture of crime and hates cops.

The three names --Daniel Enrique Garcia-- tend to lead me to suspect that he is an Illegal alien.
            I wouldn't necessarily use a shaved head as an indicator, since it seems half of the male population including myself shave their heads. I will agree with the poster who stated body language, though.
            Last edited by Gil; 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM.
            "Life should be a mission and adventure, not just a mere existence"

Comment

His eyes are too close together, judging from the crime he committed, they should be separated by the width of a large bullet.
              "Do unto others before they can do unto you", Fred G. Sanford

Comment

That is a very ignorant thing to say that because of his name he would seem like an alien. I'm surprised that more spanish people on this board did not take offense to that comment. I have a cultural name am I an illegal alien too?

Comment

I agree about the body language...He would appear to be a criminal to me (and to think, they think we only profile blacks). You can often pick out a 'bad guy' no matter the race.

I am also confused about your comment about the middle name. What does his name have to do with him being an illegal alien. I meet legals all the time that have longer names. In fact, I'm a mixed breed between white and native american, and yet I have 2 middle names....and the typical first and last name.

Comment

all of my dealings with cops say they look for dishonesty. shaved heads say nothing about your character, on the other hand three aliases does.

Comment

Anyone who's worked the streets know that some folks just have a certain look about them they telegraph to others and its hard to describe it even to another cop.

You just learn thru experience to notice it and build upon it.

Its everything all inclusive, the vehicle, the person/driver and or occupants, how they look at you or not look at you when they pass you, how they react when they first see you, they way they tend to carry themselves etc...

I've on more than one occasion just looked at the vehicle/driver and he/she just screamed out suspended, found my PC usually in the form of an equipment violation, pulled them and sure enough, bang... suspended and or wanted.

I guess its the perfect example of the legal term the totality of circumstances.

After a few years of working a high traffic/crime area you can pretty much spot the suspended, no licencia and the weed crowd.

The old beat cops adage of ladder trucks after dark, rock slinger or of course the CHAD club.
                      Last edited by JSandi; 04-22-2007, 04:20 PM.
                      "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

dirty? its what he does ,not what he his....

Garcia was an evil thug,and would have been one even if he had the face of a super model.Scott Peterson was a handsome middle class ,clean cut guy and LOOK at what he did.Darkness in the heart.....

yeah and "no"- depends on what he's driving,where he's at and his attitude-got a workman uniform on and polite but looking drained? probably just got off a local warehouse or heavy industry job ,going home- blk suit and tie,in a lincoln town car? limo driver .Astro van, old lady and 3 kids inside bundled up with toys and driving West?-enroute to the beach for a picnic--BUUTTTTT, in a "pimped out" SUV, Big rims,paper plated and no other evid of temp.regis, smell of "weed" as soon as the blk tinted windows come down,talking screw the cops B.S.,several other crap looking "potato heads" like him in the car? requesting an add'l unit to back and looking for a gun and multiple arrests...........Some of our ( So.Cal and Nor Cal,even western states )knucklehead do reform and "try" to be avg citizens- I know a local charter boat deck hand who was a former Nazi low rider- he's polite to everyone and cool,even heard him talk about his second job and getting rid of some of his "stupid" tatoos so that people wouldn't have a problem with him.but there are some dudes that want to look like "aholes" and live it- booked a warrant suspect with 18th st "tatt'ed" on his forehead- guy had numerous felony arrests and was only 20 yrs old- that fool won't live long. Its a matter of what they want - an early death or life long incarceration,or to see the "light" and live like the rest of us honest and broke "slobs".Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt until they "open" their mouths or resist or run...
                        Last edited by DOAcop38; 04-22-2007, 05:25 PM.
                        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6702 users online. 358 members and 6344 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X