Clear All

• djack16
    replied
    This directed at LEOs?

Leave a comment:

• RwHJR3
    replied
    Originally posted by (S)Sgt Elmer
    When I was on the job, even with the car at home I never got bothered.

It's worse now though, since I'm not working in LE at the moment - my FAMILY can't stop calling me for stupid things.

Had an aunt call me the other day to come over and look at a bone they dug up. My uncle (who found said bone) called her cell and told her it was a human bone - so she calls me! I asked her exactly WTF she wanted me to do - and that the local PD is who you call with that sort of thing! Duh!

Turns out my uncle was messing with her (duh) and it wasn't a human bone. Definitely the dumbest call ever.

When I was in the AF my mom called me when my brother got himself busted for having alcohol as a minor - trying to find loopholes for him. I blew up at her for that one.

A neighbor bothering me would almost be a refreshing change from that sort of crap!
    Thats a funny story!

Leave a comment:

• Trhopeful
    replied
    I guess some LEO's get bothered by neighbors and some don't. I also guess it depends on where you live and what type of neighbors you live around as well.

Leave a comment:

• (S)Sgt Elmer
    replied
    When I was on the job, even with the car at home I never got bothered.

It's worse now though, since I'm not working in LE at the moment - my FAMILY can't stop calling me for stupid things.

Had an aunt call me the other day to come over and look at a bone they dug up. My uncle (who found said bone) called her cell and told her it was a human bone - so she calls me! I asked her exactly WTF she wanted me to do - and that the local PD is who you call with that sort of thing! Duh!

Turns out my uncle was messing with her (duh) and it wasn't a human bone. Definitely the dumbest call ever.

When I was in the AF my mom called me when my brother got himself busted for having alcohol as a minor - trying to find loopholes for him. I blew up at her for that one.

A neighbor bothering me would almost be a refreshing change from that sort of crap!

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Knock Knock

Whether or not you put up with "knock knock" is up to you. There's an old adage in law enforcement, and it says, "don't police in your neighborhood". Over the years, I've had to tell a neighbor or two, to call the local P.D. if he had a problem, or couldn't control his kids, wanted to gripe about a citation, etc. Told them if it was a genuine emergency, house on fire type stuff, sure, I was there to help. Not as a cop so much , but as a neighbor. It usually worked, and over the years I had very little problems with neighbors knocking on my door.

Leave a comment:

• irishdep
    replied
    They don't knock on the door they wait until I'm leaving for work and catch me in the driveway. My one neighbor is this older guy (70's) and still works as an electrician. For some reason he thinks I know all the building codes and reg's for construction. Nice guy though.

Leave a comment:

• KingArthur462
    replied
    I'm no LEO but since our good neighbor found out I am in the academy, he constantly has questions about laws, "loopholes", and all other sorts of garbage when he sees me out in the yard doing work. Quite annoying at times to say the least. I can only imagine what the sworn O's go through if their neighbors pick up on the Vic in the yard

Leave a comment:

• Blueribbon
    replied
    Any of us that have been doing this job for awhile will admit that they've had that knock on the door. You can't always avoid it. With a marked cruiser in the yard, it doesn't take a Phi Beta Kappa to know your profession and when you're at home.
    I have told folks that I'm off duty I'm off, which means it is not the appropriate time to discus law enforcement matters. However, I do live on several acres and I usually keep the gate closed. On the gate there hangs a sign with a picture of a German Sheppard that says, "I can make it to the gate in 2.8 seconds, can you?” By the way, I also own two as pets.

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Its happened a few times to me. Everybody in my community now knows that dragging your personal problems to my home is a VERY bad idea. I don't have a problem helping someone out when I'm on the street or out and about, but don't drag your issues to my house.

I know an officer that had an issue with a neighbor constantly coming over to complain about so and so or request police assistance. The officer told him every time, call the department and speak to an on-duty officer. The guy never got it until one day the officer goes over his house at dinner time. When guy answers the door, he launches into a long complicated question about plumbing (the guys profession). Guy finally got it.

Leave a comment:

• Mirrain
    replied
    I don't tell people in my community I'm a cop for that very reason. I learned that lesson the hard way when I lived in my old apartment and decided to go home for lunch one day.

I constantly had people knocking on my door asking to help with tickets, talk to their son/daughter for being bad and talk to the people upstairs who had to rock n roll every night past 11.

Leave a comment:

• Trhopeful
    started a topic Knock Knock!!!!

Knock Knock!!!!

How often does your neighbors ring your doorbell with everything from questions to emergencies?

How often has it been for something weird or crazy?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3744 users online. 243 members and 3501 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X