Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Lee Smith, infamous 'Onion Field' cop killer, dead at 76

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

Public outrage greeted his parole, which he violated repeatedly. He was again in jail when he died.

Jimmy Lee Smith, one of the notorious "Onion Field" killers whose crime was documented in a best-selling book and a movie, and who spend most of is life in and out of prison on repeated parole violations, has died. He was 76.

Smith died Friday of a heart attack in the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic, where he been detained for yet another parole violation, according to Los Angeles County sheriff's officials.

Smith led a life of petty crime and drug abuse, interrupted by the high-profile murder of Los Angeles Police Officer Ian Campbell in the early '60s.

Joseph Wambaugh's 1973 book, "The Onion Field," chronicled the case and was later made into a movie.

"Great. Wonderful," said former L.A. police chief Daryl Gates when told of Smith's death. Gates had criticized Smith's parole. "He was a hype and murderer and we let him out of prison. He should have gone to his death in the gas chamber" for Campbell's murder.

The crime occurred one night in March 1963.

Campbell and his partner, Officer Karl Hettinger, stopped a car for making an illegal U-turn in Hollywood. Smith, 29, on parole from Folsom prison, and Gregory Powell, 32, were in the vehicle.

Powell disarmed Campbell after pulling a gun on him. Threatening to kill Campbell, he then forced Hettinger to give up his weapon.

Powell and Smith drove the two officers to an onion field in Kern County. Powell killed Campbell with a gunshot to the face. Hettinger began running through the field and escaped as Powell fired at him.

Hettinger said a cloud passing in front of the moon allowed him enough darkness to hide in some bushes. He then ran four miles to a farmhouse, where he called for help.

Powell was captured a couple of hours later, driving back to Los Angeles.(BY the CHP)

Read more at:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

He should have been executed decades ago. Burn in hell, bastard.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Ditto the above.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

second that ditto

Comment

Where's he gonna be buried? I got a twelve pack of Bud I'm gonna drink.
          "The only means we possess to thank them is to try to be as good an American as they were. We might fall well short of their standard, but there is honor in the effort."

Comment

May he receive in hell, the punishment not delivered on earth.
            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sdb29
              Where's he gonna be buried? I got a twelve pack of Bud I'm gonna drink.
              I'd like to know too! I'll stand over him while I filter a six-pack through my kidneys and shower his grave.

EDJ
              "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Ditto thrice and more the above comments.
                Rot in hell puke...
                I got nothing for now

Comment

God did what the state wouldn't, may he rot in hell!!!!
                  Bulldog

Comment

Ironic, though, that because of his crime, thousands of officers are alive because of the training and changes in procedures that was a direct result of the onion field murder. So he killed one cop, but led to many, many more cops surviving encounters and killing the criminals.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by scratch13
                      ???????????

F*ck this POS. Glad he is dead. Nothing good came from this guy. It is a shame that you are trying to imply that something good did.
                      I am gonna go on a limb here and presume that you just dont get it. I dont for a minute think he is reveling in the death of an officer but simply pointed out the FACT that many of our learning experiences in the areas of tactics and officer survival are borne out of the tragic, tragic deaths and near deaths of our fellow law enforcement officers.

Some examples that come to mind...... contact and cover, the transition from revolvers to automatics, soft body armor, patrol rifles, portable radios not just car radios, the survival mindset, what lessons have come from observing the tactics of officers and offenders on dash-cams????? There are NUMEROUS bank robberies in California and the nation that have a direct impact on how we as cops now do our business, the loss of life during 9-11 has also altered our tactics to the point that although life was lost, the loss provides lessons that have kept other cops alive.......I will give you the benefit of the doubt but in your haste to criticize you failed to see the point.....translation...the big picture.
                      You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

That's exactly what I was saying. He killed a cop, but the entire profession learned from it, and thousands of officers have survived situations, and triumphed, because of the lessons learned. Officer Campbell's death was not in vain.

I think my thoughts about the vermin subhuman murderer were clear in my first post on this thread. There is no hell too horrible for someone who murders an officer.

Comment

Here's to hoping he rots in hell
                          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

It will be a good day when people are finally able to resist dysfunction in their lives and not end up like this sad sad man. I reserve my pity, however, for the victim and his family.
                            -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
                              I'd like to know too! I'll stand over him while I filter a six-pack through my kidneys and shower his grave.

EDJ
                              Hell, I'm a girl and I'd do that. What a-hat doesn't even come close to describing him. Here's hoping the fire's hot, the water's dry and you're next to the super high unreachable cupcake stand.
                              "Duty, then, is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less" R.E. Lee

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5225 users online. 276 members and 4949 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X