Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 black men arrested at Philadelphia Starbucks draw outrage..One-sided story?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
    I believe that the board of an internet forum filled with cops (some of whom still represent their dept) is not the place to have this conversation. You can't give the proper tone and scope needed for this conversation through a series of back and forth banter. Just my opinion.

Dunno where this came from, but for the record, all of the opinions and posts I contribute to this board at my own, and DO NOT reflect the opinions and beliefs of my employer in any way, shape or form.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post

I don't think blaming people, or throwing around the term racist loosely helps anything. That just creates more animosity. But understanding it is important. If generations of my family were forced into slavery by black people, if that was my history, then I would hold a much different perspective on life than I do now.

This line of thinking that basically just tells black people "get over it" is just insulting. It's like telling a Jewish person to forget the history of the Holocaust. These people have direct lineages to this history, and there are elderly black people alive today that dealt with horrific racism. And there are societal consequences that result from 350 years of racist history. For white people to tell black people to shut up about racism is counterproductive. Part of understanding the history is understanding racism through the eyes of a black person. The reason it makes no sense to a white person is because they are white. I don't really get why this is so hard for people to understand.
      Where exactly did I say "get over it"?!?!

There's a difference between acknowledging what happened, understanding what happened, and ensuring that it never happens again versus somehow constantly owing someone for something that they didn't do. I didn't do it. My ancestors didn't do it. So why should I be blamed for it? Why should my tax money go to people that never lived it because they feel entitled to it? Why should businesses that weren't around 200+ years ago somehow owe people something? Why do people feel entitled to something that they didn't earn? And I damn sure won't feel guilt or apologize for something that I didn't do.
      Last edited by Aerohead; 04-27-2018, 04:58 PM.
      Originally posted by RSGSRT
      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by iconoclaste View Post
        ...... Also, you have cops who are risking their lives for the betterment of these communities being demonized by privileged liberals who would never set foot onto one of these blocks.
        This is spot on.....you sure seem different than when first I read you on this site.

At the same time, I also think there are deep scars, deep psychological ramifications that result from hundreds of years of slavery and racism. This isn't to say that all people were implicit, clearly they were not. But I think it's irresponsible to act as if our history has not affected our present. Black people are every much American as any white person. The arrival of the first slave ship was in 1619, a year before the Mayflower ported in Cape Cod. There is no conversation about American history that does not involve the black man and his history as well. We can sit here and act as if this history didn't happen, and as if it has no consequences, or we could see our present through the lens of our past. I think the world makes much more sense if you do.
        The wording of this is okay to me. I don't have any issues with it. On face value and without any other context I'll agree 100%.

I won't say that I represent anyone else here or anywhere but, for me, this type of conversation gets my back up pretty quick. While, in general, history is a necessary thing to learn about and know so as to help with making valued and competent decisions in the present....when it comes to this race thing and trying everyday to keep this past slavery thing in mind is far past tiresome. As has been described before...I wasn't there...I didn't do that....neither did my ancestors (as if that would matter anyway...sins of the father aren't the child's). I've been lectured all my life about this stuff I had nothing to do with and am supposed to take extra latitude for it because of the.......

......deep scars, deep psychological ramifications that result from hundreds of years of slavery and racism.....

...........for people who weren't there or experienced it either! IMHO I'm sick and ****ing tired of hearing it.

Throughout my life I've seen women, Asians, Hispanics, blacks, and whites all make it. I had nothing to do with holding them back and at most was a competitor for a position. Their is absolutely nothing special about the crap someone's ancestor's had to deal here in America over anywhere else.

The only racism in America today is perpetuated by race-baiters to stoke emotions of hate and fear to maintain a group of voters to stay in line and vote accordingly! Its political power 101 and keeping that same political power base in line.

And, on an esoteric aside, history has all kinds of truths to learn. I read this just yesterday....about the largest known child sacrifice EVER found in the whole-wide-world....and it wasn't whites against blacks...or blacks against whites....it was native American Indian against native American Indian....well who ****ing knew!
        More than 140 children were ritually killed in a single event in Peru more than 500 years ago. What could possibly have been the reason?
        Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
        “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
        “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
        "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
        ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Here's a harsh reality: slaves throughout history were a commodity. They were not considered to be the same as the citizenry. That is a fact that seems to be lost in discussions today. I'm not going to say "get over it". But when attacking historical figures for being slaveholders it would be best if the attackers actually knew the full history of slavery and its economic impact. And for those who complain that white settlers were invaders, remember that your beloved "indigenous peoples" were slave owners and thought nothing of destroying other tribes of "indigenous people".

Comment

Bazinga. Everyone forgets history. Hell...that upset? Why aren’t people screaming about the Saudis, Somalis, Libyans, CAR Warlords, etc., all who are among slave holders TODAY.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

And do not forget that it was African tribes and Arab slave traders that were providing the slaves to the Europeans.

Comment

Oh, you guys and your silly "facts". Those don't matter. Whitey bad, grrrrrrr.
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                  And do not forget that it was African tribes and Arab slave traders that were providing the slaves to the Europeans.
                  Oooohhhhh.... now you done it! Facts have no place in history nor in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                    Hmm, it is my understanding that those same two groups are the ones primarily supplying the slaves today, as well.

Oh, and by the by, since its quite evident that there are some who come here without much knowledge of factual history I thought this would be a good place to lay this turd for their punch bowl. Mootchelle's #bringbackourgirls is still going strong (cough cough) to this day .......

http://allafrica.com/view/group/main.../00060499.html

.........my guess is that this type of effective foreign policy is why Odumma was given a Nobel Peace prize on the come....well earned, well earned!
                    The group had convened at Unity Fountain in Abuja - where they have been observing a daily sit-down protest to demand the release of the schoolgirls still in Boko Haram custody - when the incident happened.
                    Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                    “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                    “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                    "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                    ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

****#UPDATE******
                      Two black men arrested for sitting at a Philadelphia Starbucks without ordering anything settled with the city Wednesday for a symbolic $1 each and a promise from officials to set up a $200,000 program for young entrepreneurs.

The men and their lawyer told The Associated Press the settlement was an effort to make sure something positive came out of the incident.

"We thought long and hard about it and we feel like this is the best way to see that change that we want to see," said Donte Robinson, one of those arrested. "It's not a right-now thing that's good for right now, but I feel like we will see the true change over time."

The men also reached an undisclosed and confidential financial settlement with Starbucks earlier this week, the company announced in a news release.

The arrest of Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson on April 12 touched off a furor around the U.S. over racial profiling. They were led away in handcuffs and accused of trespassing after the manager called police, saying the men refused to buy anything or leave. After spending hours in jail, they were released and no charges were filed.

Their arrest record will be expunged as part of the deal.

The men said they were waiting at the coffee shop in the city's well-to-do Rittenhouse Square neighborhood for a business meeting with a third man about a potential real estate opportunity.
                      "I am pleased to have resolved the potential claims against the city in this productive manner," Mayor Jim Kenney said. "This was an incident that evoked a lot of pain in our city and put us under a national spotlight for unwanted reasons."

Kenney said the men approached city about establishing the the entrepreneur program for Philadelphia public high school students.

Nelson said he considers the incident a case of being at "the wrong place at the right time because of the outcome that can come out of it."

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross, who is black, at first defended his officers' conduct, but days later issued a televised apology for the way the Starbucks call was handled.

During the uproar, Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson came to Philadelphia to apologize to the men. He also announced that more than 8,000 Starbucks stores in the U.S. would close on the afternoon of May 29 so nearly 175,000 employees can get training in unconscious bias.

SO If these diptards would've just spent the $2 to buy something in the first place all of this drama could've been prevented
                      Two black men arrested for sitting at a Philadelphia Starbucks without ordering anything settled with the city Wednesday for a symbolic $1 each and a promise from officials to set up a $200,000 program for young...
                      I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Agenda anyone..?

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          Agenda anyone..?
                          Looks like ”ghetto lottery” has paid out once again.
                          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post

$1 per person?

I didn't know the "ghetto lottery" had scratchers....
                            This Space For Rent

Comment

• Jane Q Public
                              Jane Q Public commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The $1/person is only the public payment. There's also that " undisclosed and confidential financial settlement".

• HI629
                              HI629 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes. I’m thinking that Starbucks paid out at least 5, maybe 6 figures.

Originally posted by HI629 View Post

Almost like this was the planned "business opportunity" from the get-go. ("We're going to meet at Starbucks, but you just don't show up! Then we'll hang out there until the manager is fed up and calls the cops and we'll refuse to leave until we're forced to, and then $$$.") Of course, being the cynic that I am, I wonder if the "third person" even existed in the first place.
                            Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Q Public View Post

Almost like this was the planned "business opportunity" from the get-go. ("We're going to meet at Starbucks, but you just don't show up! Then we'll hang out there until the manager is fed up and calls the cops and we'll refuse to leave until we're forced to, and then $$$.") Of course, being the cynic that I am, I wonder if the "third person" even existed in the first place.
                              I’m beginning to think that Starbucks may have had something to do with this. Lots of bad press lately, so something needed to be done to put them in a “good” light. They were quick to throw the manager under the bus, so for all we know, he could have been on his way out. They find a location where they put their act into play.

I’ve whittled down my visits to Starbucks over the years. This incident has caused me to stop all together.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7260 users online. 367 members and 6893 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X