300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Discourage “Pokémon Go” Players

Other than “trespassing”, any other ways to keep these guys off of a particular property? We have requested the stop be removed, but the issue is that the company says that our request isn’t being made by the right person.

I’m fed up dealing with them, so looking for alternative options with regard to discouraging players from trespassing and venturing into our training area. Everytime an idiot wanders onto the site, training needs to be shut down. Getting pretty old really fast.

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

We had a problem with something like this a few years ago. Not Pokemon, but people doing some haunted house investigation thing. Apparently it’s on a bunch of websites and they come from all over the Northeast to trespass and make videos, burn candles, etc.

Problem is we use this area for active shooter training. It’s also dangerous because some spots aren’t structurally sound and on the verge of collapse.

The only option is a 10 foot chain link fence and arresting violators.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Who made the request for removal of the stop? And who should be making the request according to the company? I'd continue to pursue that route. Removing what attracts players to the area in the first place is going to be far more effective than trying to discourage entry or fortifying the area. When the game first became popular it often took the company months to respond to removal requests, but they're usually pretty good about it now.

FWIW, a couple of years ago there was a PokeStop next to our prescription pill drop-off box. We'd get so many players that it got to a point where we'd ask people, "dropping off (pills) or picking up (Pokemons)"? Once we realized they didn't actually have to enter the building for the game to work we posted a sign at the entrance...along with a warning that if they loitered outside for too long we'd be happy to check them for warrants. Once the game lost in popularity things died down pretty quickly. I know one of the area hospitals had their PokeStop removed.

Until it's removed, arrest and prosecute trespassers. If you haven't already (and if circumstances allow it), post signs informing people that live ammunition is being used in the area and that there's a risk of serious injury or death. Either simply claim that the area is under video surveillance, or install decoy and/or functional cameras. Inform people that license plates are recorded and violators will be prosecuted. It's difficult to give specific advice without knowing the exact nature orof the facility or its layout.
      Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 04-08-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

How sensitive is this training facility? And who owns the facility?

Could you go to the local media and run a story about this is a recurrent problem and the makers of Pokémon Go are not responding to your requests and trespassers are impeding normal operations?

Is possible to post signage that says “Hey, this poke stop is in a dangerous area. You will be physically harmed or killed if you continue! Your death will be your own fault!” And then do not stop normal operations.

Post guards at all the entry points?
        semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
          the issue is that the company says that our request isn’t being made by the right person.
          I'd kick this over to the city attorney's office. They know how to write cease-and-desist letters.

Comment

Great ideas! Issue we’re running into is that the are we’re using is composed of land that’s owned by several different government agencies. Some land is state, some is county and a small portion is federal. We do low light training and have had Pokémon Go folks on site as early as 0300hrs! For the time being, we’ve resorted to hiring private security to keep the players out of the area. Arresting trespassers involves calling the county PD to come and grab ‘um, which can take a while as it isn’t an “emergency “ call.

Sure would be nice to find a better way!
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Great ideas! Issue we’re running into is that the are we’re using is composed of land that’s owned by several different government agencies. Some land is state, some is county and a small portion is federal. We do low light training and have had Pokémon Go folks on site as early as 0300hrs! For the time being, we’ve resorted to hiring private security to keep the players out of the area. Arresting trespassers involves calling the county PD to come and grab ‘um, which can take a while as it isn’t an “emergency “ call.

Sure would be nice to find a better way!
              Are you able to pinpoint the exact location (coordinates) of the PokeStop? Determine who owns that portion of the area and have them submit the removal request (or provide you with the necessary documentation to do so). Hopefully it's county and it shouldn't be that difficult to get cooperation. State or federal might be harder to get in touch with the right people. While none of these agencies may care that you guys are inconvenienced (or incur additional expenses) because of Go players...ALL of them should care about having a dead citizen on their property.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Are you able to pinpoint the exact location (coordinates) of the PokeStop? Determine who owns that portion of the area and have them submit the removal request (or provide you with the necessary documentation to do so). Hopefully it's county and it shouldn't be that difficult to get cooperation. State or federal might be harder to get in touch with the right people. While none of these agencies may care that you guys are inconvenienced (or incur additional expenses) because of Go players...ALL of them should care about having a dead citizen on their property.
                There are actually 3 stops throughout the 15 or so acres that we use for training, along with county and state agencies. (often joint training). Two of the stops are on state land. The last one is in an area that could be county or could be federal. The property line isn’t distinct enough to tell either way. So to pinpoint, would take a survey crew to figure out.

At this point, the trails and roads are more of a concern as we often drive in low light conditions. At 0300hrs, under a new moon, kind of hard to see a couple of trespassers seeking out their newest Pokémon prize. We have spotters with thermal and night vision, but that’s not exactly fool proof and folks often manage to sneak past (some actually think it’s funny and cool that they did) the spotters about 25% of. the time. My feeling is that all it takes is one dummy getting injured/killed and all agencies involved will get the usual bad press. Forget the fact that the dummies were trespassing on fenced off government property. I just don’t want to see anyone getting injured/killed, not to mention the poor LEO that was operating the vehicle that caused the casualty.

Good idea on pinpointing the exact spot. Coincidently, I FINALLY got a response from the good ‘ole folks at Pokémon who have provided a few options that may expedite shutting down or moving the stops. We go back out there next weekend. Sure hope we can get some resolution by then. My boss is on my @$$ over the added security costs. So far it has been costing nearly $6k per exercise in additional private security as well as special duty LEO. That’s money that can be spent on ammo and other expendable supplies.

Thanks for the ideas! Please keep ‘um coming.

Comment

There are actually 3 stops throughout the 15 or so acres that we use for training, along with county and state agencies. (often joint training). Two of the stops are on state land. The last one is in an area that could be county or could be federal. The property line isn’t distinct enough to tell either way. So to pinpoint, would take a survey crew to figure out.

At this point, the trails and roads are more of a concern as we often drive in low light conditions. At 0300hrs, under a new moon, kind of hard to see a couple of trespassers seeking out their newest Pokémon prize. We have spotters with thermal and night vision, but that’s not exactly fool proof and folks often manage to sneak past (some actually think it’s funny and cool that they did) the spotters about 25% of. the time. My feeling is that all it takes is one dummy getting injured/killed and all agencies involved will get the usual bad press. Forget the fact that the dummies were trespassing on fenced off government property. I just don’t want to see anyone getting injured/killed, not to mention the poor LEO that was operating the vehicle that caused the casualty.

Good idea on pinpointing the exact spot. Coincidently, I FINALLY got a response from the good ‘ole folks at Pokémon who have provided a few options that may expedite shutting down or moving the stops. We go back out there next weekend. Sure hope we can get some resolution by then. My boss is on my @$$ over the added security costs. So far it has been costing nearly $6k per exercise in additional private security as well as special duty LEO. That’s money that can be spent on ammo and other expendable supplies.

Thanks for the ideas! Please keep ‘um coming.
                  Any updates? Were you able to get this resolved?

Comment

• HI629
                    HI629 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Still working on a resolution, May take a couple of weeks, but some progress has been made.

Glad things are at least moving in the right direction! I can't imagine the frustration of having to spend thousands of dollars on options that don't even eliminate the problem. I'm sure these players don't realize the financial damages they are causing in addition to the interruptions. It's all fun and games to them.

Comment

What happened to some of the responses? They disappeared.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                      I'd sure like to know how my post violated the TOU's....
                      This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                        Dunno? Kinda sad. Was getting a lot of good info on here. :-(

Comment

Looks like the mods didn't like any of the more "unconventional" suggestions....which were obviously made in jest.

Or maybe it was my response to the squirtle pic that did it.

Comment

I guess they're making another effort to kill off this message board...
                            This Space For Rent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13749 users online. 475 members and 13274 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X