Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earpiece Question

Hello,

I work in a small (overcrowded) county jail which, as you can imagine is sometimes a loud place. We recently switched to earpieces so the inmates could not hear our transmissions. The problem is, whenever you are in a pod, or next to a closing door, you can't hear what is being said on the radio.

So, my question is: Has anyone heard of a way to amplify the sound coming out of the earpiece. We use the fitted, in the ear earpieces. I've done some searching on the internet and couldn't find anything so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Doug

Check with your local community Hearing Aid Center or otologist and get a fitting for a custom earpiece. They are not that expensive and can do wonders in improving clarity in an earpiece. I have had one for over thirty years and when I used it I never had trouble. I would recommend getting two - one for each ear. That allows you to switch over periodically and give one ear a rest.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Before the earpieces, could you hear the speaker of the radio when in a cell block or next to a slider door? Serious question, because if you could, it would seem that presenting the audio directly into your ear should work as well, if not better?
      "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

There are several companies that make custom-molded earpieces that are pre-fitted for common public safety radios. I saw one at a trade show last year and ordered a set of custom earpieces for my iPod (I don't use walkie-talkies much anymore). They are WAY more comfortable than anything else I have ever used, and this is kind of a big deal for me, because my hearing is going downhill fast.

If you inquire, you may be able to find earpiece sets that incorporate a microphone into the circuit, so that sounds around you can be heard when the radio traffic is not active.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Bighead
          Before the earpieces, could you hear the speaker of the radio when in a cell block or next to a slider door? Serious question, because if you could, it would seem that presenting the audio directly into your ear should work as well, if not better?
          Yes, before the earpiece I could hear the radio fine. The sound level seems to have gone down since we attached the earpieces.

Comment

could be plugged.... use some compressed air (like for the computer) and blow out the flexible tube.

Comment

and q-tips..........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4892 users online. 269 members and 4623 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X