300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear and tear happens, but no breakdowns are expected

This forum probably has over a thousand years of cumulative LE experience, which to me is impressive.

Anyways, this question came up after we've read about folks in public/govt service held to certain standards of conduct breaking down in public...the astronaut meltdown and the bartender beating meltdown. I'm sure there are lots of discussions analyzing what could've caused the unusual behavior. But what I'm interested to know is...

What keeps you from succumbing to a meltdown like that? By what, I refer to a broad area, can be person/s, an aspect of your personality, your upbringing, work environment, or people you work with. If you could pin it down to 1 or 2 factors, what would they be?

Originally posted by JBean
    What keeps you from succumbing to a meltdown like that?
    I think you may have misread his question. He is asking what is it that prevents us from having the breakdown, not what causes it.

Come to think of it..........may alcohol is the right answer.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

What keeps you from succumbing to a meltdown like that? By what, I refer to a broad area, can be person/s, an aspect of your personality, your upbringing, work environment, or people you work with. If you could pin it down to 1 or 2 factors, what would they be?
      In short, I'M NORMAL. I'm not belittling your question or making light of it - that's my honest opinion.

The majority of humans are normal, rational people. Some are a bit unbalanced or have the capacity to become unbalanced over time. A few are crazy from the get-go.

The truth is that even for normal people, there is a possibility they will do one stupid, irreversible act if they are pushed far enough. Perhaps that was the case with the bar cop. The unbalanced folk tend to reveal themselves over time - astronaut lady. They make great headlines, don't they? With the truly crazy, and officers know who their local crazies are, you just hope they stay inside and take their meds.

Fact is, there are those that become cops that never should have made it through the cracks. No system is perfect, and a few wackos get in. They don't last long, but they go out with a bang. We just lost one like that who sure had ME fooled.
      My point is, don't assume most cops have the capacity to have a meltdown; we're normal. Now if you touch my family, yeah, I would probably go postal!
      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

This forum probably has over a thousand years of cumulative LE experience, which to me is impressive.
        Given that we're within shouting distance of 38,000 members, I'd call that a conservative figure.

Cops are basically good people, and that is the governing factor when someone's internal controls go sideways. There are all sorts of reasons that people go bananas, and some of them don't have any bearing on what the "normal" person is like. But I have to think that the basic, core personality is of great influence here. An illustration that comes to mind is the anti-Semetic tirade that Mel Gibson displayed when he got busted for DUI by LASD. He can say that was the liquor talking, but I'm more inclined to think that the liquor just removed the social controls enough so that we heard the real Mel talking.

I think those basic moral values keep cops from doing truly vicious stuff like we saw in the incidents with postal employees. Cops still do all sorts of illegal, immoral stuff--I've personally known stalkers, wife beaters, child molesters, and thieves with badges (and, fortunately, most of them don't have their badges anymore). But there haven't been all that many with homicidal tendencies, even though cops have greater access to the tools than do most private citizens.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

[QUOTE=JBean

What keeps you from succumbing to a meltdown like that? By what, I refer to a broad area, can be person/s, an aspect of your personality, your upbringing, work environment, or people you work with. If you could pin it down to 1 or 2 factors, what would they be?[/QUOTE]

I don't want yet ANOTHER thing to list on the background packet for lateral transfers .

No seriously, the screening, although it can seem absurd, really does seem to weed out folks who do not have the mental capacity to deal with it.

I just don't take much personally, and realize that if for whatever reason I lose my career, there's loads of other jobs out there (with a better schedule).

Comment

Originally posted by Kalibero
            Dont drink alcohol,
            Now why in the world would have to use obscene language like that? Alcohol can be a great thing, in moderation.

Nothing like a nice cold beer at the end of the day, or a well-made cocktail in the evening.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

As a postal worker, I - as many of my co-workers do - take what we like to refer to as "crazy pills." Really, we take them to PREVENT us from going crazy...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5990 users online. 361 members and 5629 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X