X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MykesCrazy
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2007

Recommended Police Books

OK, before posting I made an attempt to search but that feature is not working on this forum.

I went to my parents recently and found an older book I loved! "What Cops Know." I reread the paperback in about two days. It is VERY out dated, taking most stories from the late 70's and early 80's, but still a great read!

This book is seperated by different chapters, Narcotics, Sex Crimes, Violent Crimes, Organized Crimes, and Property Crimes. Connie Fletcher interviewed 125 Chicago cops and put their stories into a book. Like I said before, Great Read, very Outdated!

If any of you have read this book or know of any other one that might be similar, can you please recommend them.

From another thread, I also want to look at "Tactics for Criminal Patrol."

Thanks!!
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
  • ElDiabloJoe
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2007

Yes,the Tactics for Criminal patrol trilogy (surving edged weapons, Street Survival) are fantastic!! Don't forget the "Games Cons Play" book too. Also, since you're in Kalifornia, I recommend you get the Vehicle Code ($3 or so from DMV). It's published every other year. It is your probable-cause Bible.

HTH,

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

• kentreserve45
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2007

I have to say my favorite cop book is Far Beyond Defensive Tactics by Loren Christensen. The way he talks in the book is just very strait forward and no bulls&$t. I like that. His other books are pretty good too..
      If he knocks your teeth out swallow them and hit back, never give up because an officer doesn't deserve to die on a dirty street.

Comment

• SOCALCOP
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2005

Just wait until it comes out on DVD

Comment

• 1042 Trooper
          This Can't Be!
          • Feb 2006

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          The All New
          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

• ateamer
            Salty Dog
            • Aug 2000

Anything by Joseph Wambaugh, except for his last one, "Hollywood Station". I started reading Wambaugh in high school. His characters show how the real world works. You just know that while the plot itself is fictional, the side stories are all real, just with the names changed to protect the not-so-innocent.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

• aaa79
              Forum Member
              • Jan 2007

Homicide by David Simon. Non-fiction with brilliant prose. Baltimore, 1988, what could be better?

Comment

• stangfather
                Infidel
                • Aug 2006

Blue Blood, Edward Conlon

No Lights, No Sirens, Robert Cea

On Killing, Lt Col. Grossman

Steel my Soldiers Hearts, David M Hackworth
                The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

• jtwilluk
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by stangfather
                  Blue Blood, Edward Conlon
                  Just finished Blue Blood a couple weeks ago. It was a great read.

Comment

• MykesCrazy
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ateamer
                    Anything by Joseph Wambaugh, except for his last one, "Hollywood Station". I started reading Wambaugh in high school. His characters show how the real world works. You just know that while the plot itself is fictional, the side stories are all real, just with the names changed to protect the not-so-innocent.

About a month ago I picked up a book by Michael Connelley and couldn't read it. I just can't get into fiction books anymore.

I just ordered True Blue and No lights, No Sirens.
                    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

Comment

• Bighead
                      Qui audet adipiscitur
                      • Sep 2005

Cops.
                      by Mark Baker. This one is alot like "What Cops Know". I think it is the better of the two.

Cop: A True Story.
                      by Michael Middleton.

On Killing.
                      Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

On Combat.
                      Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Street Survival: Tactics for Armed Encounters.
                      The Caliber Press.

Are Cops Racist.
                      by Heather MacDonald.

I Love a Cop: What Police Families Need to Know.
                      by Ellen Kirschman.

The Super Cops: The True Story of the Cops Called "Batman & Robin".
                      by LH Whittemore.

Homicide.
                      by David Simon.

The New Centurions.
                      by Joseph Wambaugh.

The entire "Badge of Honor" series is excellent police fiction.
                      by WEB Griffin.
                      "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• Bighead
                        Qui audet adipiscitur
                        • Sep 2005

Wanting to read...

I picked up "Blue Blood" off the discount table at Barnes. Also saw "Crime Beat" which is non-fiction by Michael Connelly.

Why the pan for Hollywood Station, the new Wambaugh? Was thinking about buying it.
                        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

• marty33
                          In the Evil Village...
                          • Feb 2005

Can't remember the name of the author, but the title was "Night Dogs". It was a dark book about being a cop in Portland, Ore. back in the good old days. If you are thinking of trying to become a cop, you have to read this book. It covers the initial excitement of the job, then the slow transformation into a cynical, jaded cop. Looking back on it now, this book examines the down side of police work that few other novels attempt.

Comment

• Traffic_82
                            Forum Member
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by aaa79
                            Homicide by David Simon. Non-fiction with brilliant prose. Baltimore, 1988, what could be better?
                            I concur, it's my absolute favorite book. The one liners from the Detectives are priceless!

It's pretty neat to read about a tight knit group of guys like that.

Comment

• ateamer
                              Salty Dog
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bighead
                              Why the pan for Hollywood Station, the new Wambaugh? Was thinking about buying it.
                              The plot wasn't very well-developed, and the subplots weren't tied together well. It was more a series of unrelated short stories than a novel. It was, by far, Wambaugh's worst work, and the only one of his books about which I can say anything negative.

If you aren't familiar with Joseph Wambaugh, spent 14 years with LAPD before becoming a fulltime writer. His early works (The New Centurions, The Choirboys) were cynical and dark. His later books (The Golden Orange, Fugitive Nights) were a bit more lighthearted, with characters that were still flawed, but with a sense of humor who came out ahead in the end.

I have most of his books and frequently re-read just a chapter or two, or favorite passages.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18503 users online. 34 members and 18469 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...