300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Police

Hello. I am a New Yorker who is taking the Mass statewide civil service exam. I have heard that it is hard for out of staters to get hired in Massachusettes? Does anyone know someone who moved from out of state to be a leo in Massachusetts? Thanks for any insight.

Originally posted by LSExplorer22
    Hello. I am a New Yorker who is taking the Mass statewide civil service exam. I have heard that it is hard for out of staters to get hired in Massachusettes? Does anyone know someone who moved from out of state to be a leo in Massachusetts? Thanks for any insight.
    Unless you're a resident it's near impossible. Even if you're a MA resident, your chance of getting hired in a community you don't live in is tough too. If that wasn't tough enough, veteran's get ultimate preference in many communities, meaning, if they get the minimum passing score and you get 100, they will get hired before you.
    The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
    Twitter Facebook

Comment

Well at the risk of being cynical I will say that unless you qualify for Vet status and are a resident...its going to be hard....I do know of several people that did become officers that came from somewhere else but..they either went to non civil service communities, or started at a college pd then after living here for a while were able to move on when the test came around again.
      Keep in mind alot depends on where you live, your score and how many vets in front of you..pick the wrong city to live in and you could keep taking the test for years...working both as a full time college cop for four years and part timer for a non civil service community for a year and half I can tell you that I am giving serious consideration to leaving the state this winter..just trying to take care of a few things first..
      I live in a civil service community and have taken the test more than a few times but because the town has no money to hire...has taken lateral transfers in the past or when they did hire they had too many candiates for too few postions it has kept me and alot of other well qualfied people from getting hired..so I wish you luck...but I would really suggest looking elsewhere...such as NH or RI if you really want to come up this way...
      "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

I unfortunetaly have heard that as well. But regardless of how you may feel about this issue; I am a minority who is willing to move anywhere in the state. Does that help at all? Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide.

Comment

I unfortunetaly have heard that as well. But regardless of how you may feel about this issue; I am a minority who is willing to move anywhere in the state. Does that help at all? Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide.
          Doubtful in Mass. I doubt there is a too much pressure to hire minorities there.

Comment

I guess the short answer is it many or it may not depending on what cities you chose....from time to time cities do call for special lists..ie female, persons that speak a different language..certain minorities etc....take a shot and see what happens...although in most cases..folks taking the test just bought a $75 lottery ticket..
            "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

Mass

Your on long island, why not apply to Nassau or Suffolk or the NYSP? You can't beat the pay and your close to Mass.

Comment

O believe me I am....I am just keeping my options open....I interned with Suffolk...Good group of guys....I will be taking the exam on June 9, 2007.....Later

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2971 users online. 178 members and 2793 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X