Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amtrak Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Amtrak Police Officers are federally certified peace officers meaning they have jurisdictional authority across the whole of the United States when Amtrak property, passengers or personal are involved. Although Amtrak Police are supposed to only deal with Amtrak related incidents, they are federally certified peace officers which means, for example, if they are driving in the vehicles on the interstate and on the side of the road two men are in the process of having a fight, the officers have the authority to intervene and even make an arrest. They would obviously dial 911 and request the highway patrol for that interstate but the Amtrak officers would be the ones to make the arrest (not detain) the two men. So yes they are fully qualified peace officers with federal authority both on and off Amtrak property, although of they do make an arrest of Amtrak property they better have a damn good reason for it!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Dres2346 View Post
      Amtrak Police Officers are federally certified peace officers meaning they have jurisdictional authority across the whole of the United States when Amtrak property, passengers or personal are involved. Although Amtrak Police are supposed to only deal with Amtrak related incidents, they are federally certified peace officers which means, for example, if they are driving in the vehicles on the interstate and on the side of the road two men are in the process of having a fight, the officers have the authority to intervene and even make an arrest. They would obviously dial 911 and request the highway patrol for that interstate but the Amtrak officers would be the ones to make the arrest (not detain) the two men. So yes they are fully qualified peace officers with federal authority both on and off Amtrak property, although of they do make an arrest of Amtrak property they better have a damn good reason for it!
      This is so completely wrong I don't even know where to start...
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

      "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

      Comment


      • #18
        Yes, so wrong.

        "Amtrak police officers derive their legal authority from the railroad commissioning laws in each state. Typically an Amtrak police officer is commissioned in either the state of their residence or the state in which they will work. Where states have created minimum hiring, training or certification requirements, candidates must meet the minimum hiring standards for both Amtrak and the state in which they will be commissioned. State laws and state agency procedures for an applicant to obtain a railroad police commission vary and often establish a separate and distinct set of criteria for getting a railroad police commission"

        https://police.amtrak.com/index.php/career

        Granted, they are a very unique agency, great retirement.
        Last edited by Kraut0783; 01-05-2021, 05:18 PM.

        Comment


        • Decided
          Decided commented
          Editing a comment
          The retirement isn't that great.

        • Kraut0783
          Kraut0783 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's 100% after 30 years, 50% for your spouse on top of that, and medical....that's pretty good, right? Not counting any 401k you start.

        • Decided
          Decided commented
          Editing a comment
          Wrong. It's 90/40%, and that's based off of the NATIONAL AVERAGE SALARY for a railroad worker. That means your pension is being calculated on the salaries from the person that cleans the train toilets to conductors, engineers, and everyone else who works for any railroad. You can do much better in many police pension systems and still collect social security.

      • #19
        Originally posted by Dres2346 View Post
        Amtrak Police Officers are federally certified peace officers meaning they have jurisdictional authority across the whole of the United States when Amtrak property, passengers or personal are involved. Although Amtrak Police are supposed to only deal with Amtrak related incidents, they are federally certified peace officers which means, for example, if they are driving in the vehicles on the interstate and on the side of the road two men are in the process of having a fight, the officers have the authority to intervene and even make an arrest. They would obviously dial 911 and request the highway patrol for that interstate but the Amtrak officers would be the ones to make the arrest (not detain) the two men. So yes they are fully qualified peace officers with federal authority both on and off Amtrak property, although of they do make an arrest of Amtrak property they better have a damn good reason for it!
        WTF is a federally certified peace officer?

        And everything you just wrote is wrong because not all states give railroad police the same authority as local or state police.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

        Comment


        • #20
          Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post

          WTF is a federally certified peace officer?

          And everything you just wrote is wrong because not all states give railroad police the same authority as local or state police.
          I'm guessing that the poster is equating the federal government recognizing Amtrak Police Officers for the purposes of LEOSA to: Amtrak Police Officers are "federally certified peace officers."

          Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont believe Amtrak Police Officers have any federal arrest/apprehension authority by federal statute and they dont attend FLETC UPTP or any other FLETC-certified federal police academy. So that's my only guess as to why the poster thinks they are "federally certified peace officers."

          Maybe some have used UPTP certs as a base to qualify for the state POST cert requirement, but I still dont think that makes them "Fed LEOs"
          Last edited by 5149.5; 01-06-2021, 10:25 AM.

          Comment


          • #21
            Originally posted by 5149.5 View Post

            I'm guessing that the poster is equating the federal government recognizing Amtrak Police Officers for the purposes of LEOSA to: Amtrak Police Officers are "federally certified peace officers."

            Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont believe Amtrak Police Officers have any federal arrest/apprehension authority by federal statute and they dont attend FLETC UPTP or any other FLETC-certified federal police academy. So that's my only guess as to why the poster thinks they are "federally certified peace officers."
            Actually Amtrak does send officers to FLETC UPTP along with using local/state academies.

            Amtrak police do have federal arrest authority under 49 U.S.C. 24305
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

            Comment


            • #22
              Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post

              Actually Amtrak does send officers to FLETC UPTP along with using local/state academies.

              Amtrak police do have federal arrest authority under 49 U.S.C. 24305
              Well that shows how much I know about Amtrak Police. Thanks for the info.

              So are the considered Fed LEOs or not?

              Is the issue with the term "federally certified peace officer" vs the title of Fed LEO?

              Comment


              • #23
                Originally posted by 5149.5 View Post

                Well that shows how much I know about Amtrak Police. Thanks for the info.

                So are the considered Fed LEOs or not?

                Is the issue with the term "federally certified peace officer" vs the title of Fed LEO?
                Their job announcements require that you be certified by the state you will work in.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                Comment


                • #24
                  Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

                  Their job announcements require that you be certified by the state you will work in.
                  Generally they handle most cases through the local courts, some issues that happen on trains will be taken to the US District Court. States like Maryland give limited police authority to railroad police to allow cases into their courts but don't require full certification.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

                  Comment


                  • #25
                    Originally posted by 5149.5 View Post

                    Well that shows how much I know about Amtrak Police. Thanks for the info.

                    So are the considered Fed LEOs or not?

                    Is the issue with the term "federally certified peace officer" vs the title of Fed LEO?
                    Amtrak (as I stated in the beginning of this thread) is a federally owned corporation, not really a federal agency per se. Amtrak police and IG agents have law enforcement authority via federal law and the police have authority via state law.

                    There is no such beast as a federal peace officer, nothing noted in the US Code or Code of Federal Regulations
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

                    Comment


                    • #26
                      I guess no one reads my posts....not fed LEO...this is from their website. OIG is not part of the Amtrak Police....it's its own governing body, like other OIGs.

                      "Amtrak police officers derive their legal authority from the railroad commissioning laws in each state. Typically an Amtrak police officer is commissioned in either the state of their residence or the state in which they will work. Where states have created minimum hiring, training or certification requirements, candidates must meet the minimum hiring standards for both Amtrak and the state in which they will be commissioned. State laws and state agency procedures for an applicant to obtain a railroad police commission vary and often establish a separate and distinct set of criteria for getting a railroad police commission"

                      Comment


                      • #27
                        Thank you all for the replies. A lot of good information.
                        It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

                        Comment


                        • #28
                          Originally posted by 5149.5 View Post

                          I'm guessing that the poster is equating the federal government recognizing Amtrak Police Officers for the purposes of LEOSA to: Amtrak Police Officers are "federally certified peace officers."

                          Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont believe Amtrak Police Officers have any federal arrest/apprehension authority by federal statute and they dont attend FLETC UPTP or any other FLETC-certified federal police academy. So that's my only guess as to why the poster thinks they are "federally certified peace officers."

                          Maybe some have used UPTP certs as a base to qualify for the state POST cert requirement, but I still dont think that makes them "Fed LEOs"
                          Oh sorry I was wrong. They do not have federal authority, only authority depending on which state there in right?

                          Sorry everyone.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 3268 users online. 159 members and 3109 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X