Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting and LP personnel

To Police Officer's

How do you feel about the Asset Protection/Loss Prevention Officers you come in contact with?

Do any of you have good relationships with these LPO in your community?

Do you feel they provide a service that helps the community?

The reason I ask is in my City I have a great working relationship with my Police Officers. They help me and I help them. Is this like this in other Cities?

Also, what do most of you do when you respond to shoplifting calls? Do you most of the time let them sign or do you take them to jail. (Depending on the circumstances)

Just interested in what is going on out there in my field.

Thanks
    Last edited by CommonGoal; 03-31-2007, 09:47 PM.
    "Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

People who love sausage and people who believe in justice should never watch either of them being made. ~Otto Bismarck

"Don't put yourself in a position to investigate yourself" ~CommonSense

"Now, what is the rule?" "Protect myself at all times."

sigpic

I spent 9 years in retail law enforcement before the WHP hired me. All in greater L.A. Started as an undercover agent and winded up as Security Director for Montgomery Ward and then later, an internal fraud investigator for a grocery chain called Ralphs.

Good, needed work. I probably made more physical arrests (20-30 a month) than most uniformed cops for self-discpovered / witnessed crimes.

You should be proud of what you do - good stepping store to sworn work, too.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

The LP department at Sears in Reno was, at one time, something of a farm team for the PD. I think we hired every one of their LP agents that applied for a few years.

LP people are like anyone else - there are good and bad ones. I have known mostly good ones. The bad ones forgot who they were working for and tried to be cops,l which is what my late wife (former Wal-Mart LP associate and LP regional supervisor) referred to as a "CED": Career-Ending Decision.
      Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Tim, I am a Asset Protection Manager for a large retailer and if anyone of my LPs stepped out of there bounds so to speak they are immediately corrected and/or terminated. So I know what you mean when you say CED.

I know that some in my field can give people the wrong idea about law enforcement. A customer sees a guy in plain clothes with a badge around his neck using excessive force on a shoplifter, that person may think the individual is a Police Officer. Then that person could have a bias opinion of other Officers. It is a fine line, you have to make sure the people who work for you remain professional at all times.
        "Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

People who love sausage and people who believe in justice should never watch either of them being made. ~Otto Bismarck

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CommonGoal
          Tim, I am a Asset Protection Manager for a large retailer and if anyone of my LPs stepped out of there bounds so to speak they are immediately corrected and/or terminated. So I know what you mean when you say CED.

I know that some in my field can give people the wrong idea about law enforcement. A customer sees a guy in plain clothes with a badge around his neck using excessive force on a shoplifter, that person may think the individual is a Police Officer. Then that person could have a bias opinion of other Officers. It is a fine line, you have to make sure the people who work for you remain professional at all times.
          That's where most LP's draw the line and mess up. I disagree with them having any type of badge, let alone using any force, unless it is to protect themselves. I worked LP before LE and our policy was, well first off, no badge, but never to put a hand on the person suspected of shoplifting. that is what the Police were for. We were issued handcuffs and were trained to use them seldom did. All you are doing is detaining the person until the police arrive. I did enjoy the work and had very good relations with the local Police and did so when I got into LE, vice versa. So I know what it is you do and I commend you for it.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Among the best, are the guys/girls who have almost everything wrapped up neatly, and produce legible, reader-friendly reports....Home Depot, Rite-Aid are a couple...in my little corner of L.A. Unfortunately, with a shift of 10-16 (and sometimes as few as eight! ) cops to service a population of over 300,000, we don't have the luxery of time to get to know our local LP folks with any depth. I have often thought that we need to offer training or at least provide written training material to them.

Among the worst, the non-English speaking, let alone English writing, no formal training security guards in the LAPD-looking (at a distance) uniforms.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

We have a large mall in my area and in the mall is a police substation. The Officers in this substation set up monthly meetings open to all retail loss prevention. They set up guest speakers and we can all share info and pictures of the people we catch. This is a great way to set up working relationships with your local LP folks. LPs have allot of information on bad people working the area. If they have not caught them they at least have pictures of them, car details, possibly license plate. This can help LE identify career criminals. LE can also give us info on people they are looking for or scams working in the area. I would suggest that you set these meeting up in your area if you have not already.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                That's where most LP's draw the line and mess up. I disagree with them having any type of badge, let alone using any force, unless it is to protect themselves. I worked LP before LE and our policy was, well first off, no badge, but never to put a hand on the person suspected of shoplifting. that is what the Police were for. We were issued handcuffs and were trained to use them seldom did. All you are doing is detaining the person until the police arrive. I did enjoy the work and had very good relations with the local Police and did so when I got into LE, vice versa. So I know what it is you do and I commend you for it.
                Quite different in L.A. - or at least it was 25 years ago when I was involved. We were armed, placed the thieves under arrest (citizen's) right there on the sidewalk, cuffed and frisked everyone and, had the contnuation sheet ready to go when LAPD arrived.

Had real pretty badges too (I designed them!)

I guess things have changed.
                The All New
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                  Quite different in L.A. - or at least it was 25 years ago when I was involved. We were armed, placed the thieves under arrest (citizen's) right there on the sidewalk, cuffed and frisked everyone and, had the contnuation sheet ready to go when LAPD arrived.

Had real pretty badges too (I designed them!)

I guess things have changed.
                  Guess so..lol. And that was 25 yrs ago...ouch...j/k. Anyway, I know that Macy's up in NYC has their own "lock-up". Of course each Department/Chain Store is different. Wal-mart could care less and doesn't have the best camera equipment as opposed to Target (top notch) to me, but when I worked Wallyworld yrs ago, it was all walking the floors. I enjoyed it until I went into LE.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M.
                    Among the best, are the guys/girls who have almost everything wrapped up neatly, and produce legible, reader-friendly reports....Home Depot, Rite-Aid are a couple...in my little corner of L.A. Unfortunately, with a shift of 10-16 (and sometimes as few as eight! ) cops to service a population of over 300,000, we don't have the luxery of time to get to know our local LP folks with any depth. I have often thought that we need to offer training or at least provide written training material to them.

Among the worst, the non-English speaking, let alone English writing, no formal training security guards in the LAPD-looking (at a distance) uniforms.
                    Sorry, this is breaking topic just abit, but how on earth could you possibly cover a 300k+ population with only 8 officers! The local county in which I live in has on average around 35 partols out, and we have around 300k living here.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                      Guess so..lol. And that was 25 yrs ago...ouch...j/k. Anyway, I know that Macy's up in NYC has their own "lock-up". Of course each Department/Chain Store is different. Wal-mart could care less and doesn't have the best camera equipment as opposed to Target (top notch) to me, but when I worked Wallyworld yrs ago, it was all walking the floors. I enjoyed it until I went into LE.
                      Cameras were still very expensive in my day so we just had a few we "hid" in mirrored ceiling tiles above cash regisister to nab employee theives.

In my day, it was the Grande Mirror mounted high on the wall and all of us (store security) living with rats and bugs and spiders, crawling around up there, sitting behind them for friggin hours on end. And yes, of course, walking the floor.

Today they have the camera bubbles all over the place and the store dicks just sit in anair conditioned office playing with the cameras. Must be nice!

Paid pretty good back then too, as opposed to now. They way I understand it, it doesn't pay as it once did.
                      The All New
                      - M1Garand

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                        Cameras were still very expensive in my day so we just had a few we "hid" in mirrored ceiling tiles above cash regisister to nab employee theives.

In my day, it was the Grande Mirror mounted high on the wall and all of us (store security) living with rats and bugs and spiders, crawling around up there, sitting behind them for friggin hours on end. And yes, of course, walking the floor.

Today they have the camera bubbles all over the place and the store dicks just sit in anair conditioned office playing with the cameras. Must be nice!

Paid pretty good back then too, as opposed to now. They way I understand it, it doesn't pay as it once did.

The pay is not so bad in my area (KCMO). LP Agents and Officers starting out make between 8-13 dollars an hour. If you get into a Sup. or Manager position you can make between 30-60,000 a year depending on the Company.
                        But you are doing more that floor walking all the time.

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4682 users online. 281 members and 4401 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X