S I-completed 3/12
    Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
    Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
    Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
    Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
    new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

Yep. The front says "West's California Penal Code 2007" and the back says "Do Not Remove From Roll Call Room".
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

That's great!

Comment

Penal code?

Must.....resist.....urge.....juvenile.....joke.... .

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer
          Yep. The front says "West's California Penal Code 2007" and the back says "Do Not Remove From Roll Call Room".
          Your killing me.........................but you got my vote
          Only the dead have seen the end of war! PLATO

Comment

I doubt many criminal lawyers know it all but here is what they teach in the academy.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I used to know it pretty well - especially that part about exhibition of acceleration!

As a former L.A. Streetracer, me and my '57 got to know that section pretty good. Actually, it was part of the vehicle code, but what a few digits between friends.

The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Comment

how many codes would you say there are? I know it differs from place to place, but maybe a ballpark estimate? that legalinfo site was incredible. how many of those do you actually use on a regular basis?

Comment

647(f) PC fits an amazing number of situations.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I'm just wondering if there's a difference between the criminal code and what you are calling the penal code.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer
                        I haven't laughed this hard in awhile. Thank you ateamer! Hope you have a pocket buddy

oh no a new juvenile joke......penal code.........pocket buddy sheeesh!

As for the original question.........The odds of knowing it cover to cover are slim to nil. They change non-stop. Like homosexual conduct was unlawful here now its not etc etc. Judges can't even keep up with it.
                        "That boys cheese dun slid off his cracker!"

Comment

Every state calls it something different. The California Penal Code sections have become well-known because they've been on TV so much, and because they're mostly three digits and easy to remember. A burglary in California is a 459, but in Nevada it's Nevada Revised Statute 205.060 (which is why we just called it "burglary").

Using that TV stuff can be fun, though. I was arresting a kid from California when he told me that what I was doing was illegal. I asked him for the source of his information, and he replied, "The Nevada Penal Code."

We also had an officer that was a California refugee. We got a BOL teletype one night from a California agency wanting us to find a guy wanted for 289 PC. I hadn't heard of that one before. He told me if was forcible sodomy, and he learned it from the rhyme,

Wine me,
                          Dine me,
                          289 me.
                          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by JPatrick
                            I'm just wondering if there's a difference between the criminal code and what you are calling the penal code.
                            The Penal Code is the primary set of California statutes defining crimes and punishments. It contains most of the commonly-encountered crimes. There are numerous other California codes, though.
                            Vehicle Code - all traffic laws, including DUI
                            Business and Professions Code - includes alcoholic beverage laws
                            Health and Safety Code - includes controlled substance laws
                            Welfare and Institutions Code - includes juvenile procedures and mental health laws

There are plenty more California codes, though: Fish and Game Code, Code of Civil Procedure, Civil Code, Corporations Code, it goes on and on. I guess some states just have one code with lots of different subtitles or chapters; we like to have separate codes and books.

Comment

Originally posted by Mole177
                              does anyone here know front to back?

California PC that is...
                              What exactly, if I may be so bold to ask, are you looking for?

The book itself is enormous, one runs the risk of a lower back injury if one picks it up, too quickly. It has print so fine, it requires the reader to be less than 40 years old. It has long sentences, with convoluted language which more often than not means absolutely nothing, to most readers. It is the most user-unfriendly tome published in the country.

But again, what is it you want to know?
                              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6939 users online. 359 members and 6580 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X