300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LongLegz
    Again, I wasn't defending "criminals getting frisked in the street". What I WAS defending was the BLATANT general attitude via Scratch, Miami, Subcop, and random others, that BLACK people are like...a "disease" in this country, if you will. And I KNEW that that is what that thread would turn into. "Why of course, we frisk so many Blacks because they are more likely to be criminals" and blah blah blah. That is what that thread was about.
    But they can say things all they want and it's still not directed at black people in general. It's directed at black CRIMINALS, or rather the people they come in contact with during their shift who are suspected of crime. Isn't it true that white people are more likely to commit DUIs? Am I missing out by not getting upset whenever someone repeats that statistic?

I doubt that you commit crime, or associate with anyone who does. I think most people will admit that the vast majority of black people are NOT committing crime. Neither do the vast majority have a problem with getting searched, as cops are not going into their cubicles at the office, or combing the libraries and grocery stores looking for black people to pat down.

So why is it that any time cops discuss black crime you take it as a general put-down of black people? I agree that you try to be objective and see everyone's points. I just think you tend to see any comment on black people to be directed at the whole race, and that keeps you from seeing a lot of the truth in what people are saying.
    Last edited by Entre Nous; 03-31-2007, 01:38 PM.

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Entre Nous: So why is it that any time cops discuss black crime you take it as a general put-down of black people? I agree that you try to be objective and see everyone's points. I just think you tend to see any comment on black people to be directed at the whole race, and that keeps you from seeing a lot of the truth in what people are saying.
      Right on the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous
        So why is it that any time cops discuss black crime you take it as a general put-down of black people? I agree that you try to be objective and see everyone's points. I just think you tend to see any comment on black people to be directed at the whole race, and that keeps you from seeing a lot of the truth in what people are saying.
        #1. Because the comments that appear here are directed at the whole race.

Answer a simple question:
        How many times do (the rare) discussions on here of whites who commit crime INCLUDE their race in the title of the tread?

If it were just a discussion about criminals, there would be no problem, but the posters here want to talk about "why blacks commit so much crime" yadda yadda.

In English, a word is understood to describe the whole unless you modify it. The question "why do some blacks commit crimes" would bring such a response from black cops (though we would still wonder why you are focusing only on black criminals).

#2. Because of the ham-fisted way white posters talk about these issues, which is the same ignorant ham-fisted way people talk about these things in real life. Ever heard the term, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

This is a big part of the disconnect. Many of the white posters don't MEAN to sound like racist buttwhipes, but when you read it from this end, from the perspective of a "member of the subject group" (black folks), that's exactly what it sounds like.

It's like when we have any discussion of hip hop music. I guarantee someone (most likely a white poster) is going to start a rant it.

Those of us who actually know something about the subject will try to set the record straight (for example, White suburban kids account for 70% of "gangsta rap" sales, real hip hop is different than the ganagsta pop radio/BET crap that damn near every white person I've ever met thinks is rap, yadda yadda). But we'll be speaking in vain, because the people who just know about rap aren't willing to listen to anything we say.
        ~~~~~

Okay, I'm getting off course, but the original point is this: If you can read english you can see what the problem is. Just put yourself in our shoes.

If (you are a LEO and) you go to another forum where the post says "Why are cops so corrupt?" , what would you think about the poster's feelings about cops (hell, what would you think about their intelligence)? It's obvious that the poster is anti-cop from the get go, right?

Saying "why are some cops corrupt would not be so bad, and would be clearer.
        Last edited by Caesar2845; 04-02-2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous
          Um, because Scratch and Miami proceeded to harp on the Black race, which included their experiences at KFC that somehow fit in, and thus came to the conclusion that since they come into contact with a lot of Black criminals, that crime is BLACK CULTURE. Did they not repeatedly say "It's Black culture" blah blah blah "It's Black culture" and this and that?

Talk about Black CRIMINALS all you want. DO NOT even begin to try and make Black people out to be a race of criminals. And that is what they did. And that is what I didn't appreciate. If anyone would like to say that they DID NOT do that, then you might need to read that whole thread over. Or, I'd be more and happy to point out the key points in it.

Originally posted by Caesar2845
          Answer a simple question:
          How many times do (the rare) discussions on here of whites who commit crime INCLUDE their race in the title of the tread?
          Ha. Amen.

Comment

I get called that. I am white, and work in a black area of town. However, I arrest many more white folks than I do black folks. I am not racist, I know it, and I don't care if i make people mad when I take them in. I threat everyone w/respect, white, black, or yellow. Nothing personal, just business.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar2845
              Okay, I'm getting of course, but the original point is this: If you can read english you can see what the problem is. Just put yourself in our shoes.

If (you are a LEO and) you go to another forum where the post says "Why are cops so corrupt?" , what would you think about the poster's feelings about cops (hell, what would you thing about their intelligence)? It's obvious that the poster is anti-cop from the get go, right?

Saying "why are [/i]some[/i] cops corrupt would be so bad, and would be clearer.
              Okay, you are right. The corrupt cops sentence was an excellent example.

So we as whites have a problem with the the way we use words when we talk about black people. I think you'd be right to point that out, and repeatedly if you have to. I would be very happy to see more people step up and say "You mean SOME black people" or whatever.

I don't think it would take very many times before everyone would start to be more conscious of it. We should be able to do that as easily as we point out each others' grammar and spelling mistakes.

It would not only change the way we talk on this board, but in real life as well. Not only for the posters, but for everyone who's reading the thread. And I believe that changing our ways of speaking actually causes subtle changes in the way we think.

But instead of trying to help each other work on bad habits of semantics, we get all defensive and mad at each other.
              Last edited by Entre Nous; 03-31-2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I love how the so-called "minorities" can display "Brown Pride" or "Black Pride" types of things, but if white people displayed "White Pride" we would be called racists/supremacists. A lot of people don't realize that in certain cities, towns, etc. white people ARE a minority. With the abundance of diverse people and different races living in the U.S., non-white people aren't quite minorities in a lot of places anymore. Let it be known that I have no problem with people taking pride in their heritage, but I just thought this needed to be pointed out because it's some good food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by superkoopa
                  I love how the so-called "minorities" can display "Brown Pride" or "Black Pride" types of things, but if white people displayed "White Pride" we would be called racists/supremacists.
                  that is true. i recently saw a fella wearing a black panthers t-shirt. guess it doesn't matter if I'm offended by it, just the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by LongLegz
                    If anyone would like to say that they DID NOT do that, then you might need to read that whole thread over. Or, I'd be more and happy to point out the key points in it.
                    I am actually in the process of reading the threads again, but I'm starting with the one on "Enemy of Young Black Males". If you would like to supply links to key points, I would certainly appreciate that.

My initial impression is that you stepped into the Frisking thread very early on and turned it into a discussion on general racial issues, while ignoring the original article the thread was based on (which made a very valid point).

I think you got people immediately defensive, and once we get defensive we start grasping at straws to prove our points, hence the KFC story. (Not to say the KFC story was worthless, because I found it interesting.) Maybe I'll have a different impression once I read the thread that preceded it.

I don't know what to say about the "black culture" thing. Don't you have the same culture that I have? Am I ignorant in thinking that? But there's probably a subculture among some blacks which you and I have little experience with, and for all we know, that may be what's influencing some young black males to commit crimes.
                    Last edited by Entre Nous; 03-31-2007, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Him: You're just messin w/ me cuz I'm black.

Me: That's kinda funny pal... I've been married to a black woman for 20 years and I'm a racist. Whatever.

Him: * silence *

OK, I'm a liar but he doesn't know that.

Comment

Originally Posted by superkoopa
                        I love how the so-called "minorities" can display "Brown Pride" or "Black Pride" types of things, but if white people displayed "White Pride" we would be called racists/supremacists.
                        \

There's no shortage of Irish Pride at the St. Patrick's Day Parade is there? I'm not a big fan of "pride" based on ethinc background. After all, you didn't have to "work" at being Irish, Polish, or whatever.

But, maybe you can tell me how a black person in 2007 is supposed to know what his ethnic background is, since his ancestors likely came her in chains and reading and writing, let alone keeping family tree records wasn't looked upon with a whole lot of favor by the authorities?

In large part, I think black people talk about racial pride, where you might talk about ethnic pride and go to the St. Patrick's Day Parade, or the local Paczki festival, or the local Italian-American club, because they don't have any reasonable basis for knowing WHAT country or cultural group they originate from. The closest a lot of them can get is continent of origin. Most people in this country don't go around calling themselves "European-Americans" when asked what their "nationality" is, because they generally have an idea of where their ancestors came from. Otherwise, we might be talking a lot more about "White pride" or "European-American" pride.

I haven't seen a lot of "Brown Pride"-related celebrations.
                        Last edited by ; 03-31-2007, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by superkoopa
                          I love how the so-called "minorities"
                          Not sure I understand. less that 15% is a minority, right. Have things changed?

As far as the T-shirts that say Brown Pride or whatever, get over it. It is OK for people to be proud of who they are and what they are. Its not offensive unless you dont like who they are or what they are, maybe your the one with the problem. I wear my Irish Pride T-shirt every now and then, because I am Irish and proud. If you dont like it, dont fricken look at me. You wont hurt my feelings, I swear.
                          It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31
                            Ok, I'll say something about it. Is it the right case? it was posted by someone who is not you, so I really didnt know if it was the right stuff. I could only get one of the links to open and it looked like two (2) females had filed suit, not 50. I would think 50 would be a class action, but I dont know jack about the lawyer crap so I wont try to fake it. From what I read, it appeared that the suit was because the Memphis has trouble keeping the testing consistant.

Fight the power tony o.
                            I've got dial up and even I got the second address to open up with the 39 pages. I'ts the right case. All you have to do is go down towards the end where the statements about the written part of the test are. The claim that minorities do poorly on written tests and that the written portion was given too much weight. Find statements where the city intentionally sought to discriminate, which is rediculous in a city that is 67 percent black. The prior tests where security was mentioned is because people were cheating like hell.
                            You've got the information that you've been wanting, look at it. So don't come back and say that what I was saying was not so and hint around that I'm lying about the number that was promoted.
                            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o
                              I've got dial up and even I got the second address to open up with the 39 pages. I'ts the right case. All you have to do is go down towards the end where the statements about the written part of the test are. The claim that minorities do poorly on written tests and that the written portion was given too much weight. Find statements where the city intentionally sought to discriminate, which is rediculous in a city that is 67 percent black. The prior tests where security was mentioned is because people were cheating like hell.
                              You've got the information that you've been wanting, look at it. So don't come back and say that what I was saying was not so and hint around that I'm lying about the number that was promoted.

I would never hint around that you might be lying, I would come out and call you a liar. thats not at all what I did. I read the 39 pages, that wasnt the link I was having problems with, and i believe on page 12 it makes reference to 23 black, 2 hispanic and 27 white officers. thats 52.

Now in reading further the law suit goes onto say that the discrimination wa agains white officers also. In the end, it appears that the 52 mentioned before did get promoted, as well as 264 more white, black and hispanic officers and like I said it looks to me like it was the City's fault for not being able to stay consistant with the promotion policies, add and eliminating parts of the test.

They opened themselves up to the law suit and the cops won. This is a good thing Tony, its good when the Cops win agains the admin. if your gonna draw lines in the sand, do it between the bosses and the street cops, not between cops and other cops.
                              It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31
                                I would never hint around that you might be lying, I would come out and call you a liar. thats not at all what I did. I read the 39 pages, that wasnt the link I was having problems with, and i believe on page 12 it makes reference to 23 black, 2 hispanic and 27 white officers. thats 52.

Now in reading further the law suit goes onto say that the discrimination wa agains white officers also. In the end, it appears that the 52 mentioned before did get promoted, as well as 264 more white, black and hispanic officers and like I said it looks to me like it was the City's fault for not being able to stay consistant with the promotion policies, add and eliminating parts of the test.

They opened themselves up to the law suit and the cops won. This is a good thing Tony, its good when the Cops win agains the admin. if your gonna draw lines in the sand, do it between the bosses and the street cops, not between cops and other cops.
                                It is a hard read. Alot of lawyer jargon and other confusing language and numbers because thats what lawyers do. The first portion of the 39 pages blended actions/complaints regarding tests from past years and past complaints. There never will be consistency, because every test is met with controversy to those who don't pass and something is then changed to make it 'fair'. The recent judges order, which I'm referring to, resulted in promotions given to about 50 people, for whatever reason, who couldn't pass a test.
                                The recent promotions, a couple of weeks ago, included no one from other races. It's not something to argue about, the local paper even referenced MLKs 'free at last' on the front page of the paper, regarding the racial makeup of the newly promoted.
                                The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2279 users online. 140 members and 2139 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X