Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must admit I was a little disheartened after reading all of the posts in this thread. Brother against Brother. Just remember at the end of the day you all bleed blue. Everyone no matter what race or gender will have some excuse as to why what they did was not wrong. Back when I was in FTO I remember my TO who just happened to be a black male tell me that being a white female in a predominantly black area would be rough on me. I really wanted to let him have it but decided against it. He was pretty tough for the most part but I admired that about him. He was a great cop and loved what he did. I have never forgotten one of the few occassions that he had something positive to say to me . He told me that I was quick witted but always polite, but that someday I am going to get tripped up and not know what to come back with. Sure enough that day came when a 16 yr old white male in baggy pants, gold chains and a cocked cap looked me in the eye and said "MAN you are only comin down on me cause you're a racist"
    I looked at my TO and said " you are right I have been tripped up, I have never been called a MAN".
    But as a female I was the butt of alot of jokes, negative comments, and left out of the good jokes because I was "mixed-company". That's ok though. You just laugh with the jokes that you can and ignore the ones that you can't and do your best to prove yourself. At the end of watch everyone is the same. I was aware that I was in a "mans job" as my mother called it. I didn't test low, I didn't do "girl push ups". I think expecting less of someone for whatever reason is wrong. I dont deserve to do what a man can if I cant keep up. To me being black, white, hispanic, asian, or purplepeopleeater is the same. You respect me and I respect you and you disrespect me and most likely I will still show you respect and that's how it should be.
    "That boys cheese dun slid off his cracker!"

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
      entre Nous- some people still have the stigma of race in them and it has made them bitter.My uncle- a former Blk Panther out of San Franscisco ,died a very angry and paranoid man( he refused to come to my Police graduation,saying it was a job for "dogs of the wht man"),while my dad looked on the 60's as what they were -a time in the past and kept on moving with his life.Many times its the same people who may have suffered the sting of racial discord,and who never got to taste the freedom and opportunities of todays society.While I may get angry with some assertions that Blk people are volunteering in droves to be criminals,I believe that its todays forced fed issues of "PC" that have caused a backlash in some people into thinking they are being cheated and kicked in the butts for not being a minority.civil rights movement is "just" 40 yrs old,and i actually had a Sgt(a goodhearted ,honest man) -now retired -who told me when he and officers could literally take a Hisp or blk man off the streets and beat the crap out of them "just becuase" without fear of punishment.It wasn't that long ago that people thought it was a womans job to stay home and cook and clean and make babies-now we have Female fighter pilots ,judges,corporate power brokers.I can also understand some folks frustration-often in L.A. I've seen crimes where I know for a FACT the victim was targeted becuase they were White,and this too disgusts me.all I ask for is that people be reasonable- you don't have to sit back and listen to "whitey is evil" -thats stone B.S. but don't pass the title of Blk = bad,or Hisp = "invader" on either.we need to do more than just acknowledge a bad situation-we need to talk about fixing it,or dealingwith it......
      I have a couple of things I've been wondering about. Okay, I can very much see your point about the whole civil rights issue being only 40 years old. It's hard to remember that it's only been that long, and yeah, I guess a lot of things used to go on that we don't even like to think about today.

But what exactly do you mean about force-fed PC causing a backlash? I'm wondering if it's similar to what I've been trying to say about the extreme PC that I grew up with - the taboo against ever expressing an opinion about or even questioning black people as a group or individuals. It turned racial issues into sort of a "forbidden fruit" which later led my family to become racist almost as a backlash. Is that an example of what you're saying, or am I totally misinterpreting?

I'm in my 40s so I remember the early days of the civil rights movement. Affirmative Action and such issues aside, I DO think that we as white kids were kicked in the butts to some extent. At least we were in educated middle-to-upper-class suburban America, if only because of the guilt that was drilled into us for what white people had done, and the burden of correcting it. That's a LOT for kids to start out life with.

Okay, maybe that's nothing compared to what black kids went through, but I do think it should be acknowledged, just as we're supposed to acknowledge your difficulties. At least you guys had that sense of unity that I mentioned before. And you had the whole "Black Power" thing, while nobody was teaching us white kids much but how to be ashamed of our "power".

So I guess all I'm saying is what I've said before in other threads - that we have to stop saying "waah-waah" over each other's complaints, and admit that it's a crappy situation for all of us. It's no longer a matter of who's at fault, as it was in the past, or competing over who had it worse. Like you said, it's a matter of fixing or dealing with it.

So how can we do that?

The Donut Shop : A Cop-Friendly Forum

(Please PM me for faster admittance.)

Comment

Originally posted by Entre Nous
        But what exactly do you mean about force-fed PC causing a backlash? I'm wondering if it's similar to what I've been trying to say about the extreme PC that I grew up with - the taboo against ever expressing an opinion about or even questioning black people as a group or individuals. It turned racial issues into sort of a "forbidden fruit" which later led my family to become racist almost as a backlash. Is that an example of what you're saying, or am I totally misinterpreting?
        I am not he but I have been saying it for years so I can probably answer:

A lot of people will blame blacks in general for the discrimination imposed by AA and PC speech. Thus the attempt to stamp out racism actually creates racism.

Some of the responses in this thread show the real cause of most "racism". It's easier to blame racism (or any other -ism) than to recognize it's one's own failings. People don't want to accept they were wrong, it's easier to believe someone has it in for them. Is it any wonder that racism is "rampant"???

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar2845
          And look at the history (of blacks, not speaking for other minorities here), almost everything you deal with is in some way related to your race. African slavery in this hemisphere began because indentured servatude didn't work because White indentured servants could escape into the population and melt away, but africans couldn't do that.
          Just a couple of things, Caesar. I once dated a black guy who used to love to point out that no matter how much my ancestors had been ostracized, at least they could always blend in, so I'm very used to hearing that.

But I don't think that's completely true. Black people may think we all look alike but especially in earlier years where people from different countries had less intermarriage, white people of different heritage are/were able tell the difference.

For instance, once I was in Italy with my mom, and a German woman correctly picked her out of a crowd as being someone of German blood and asked for her help in German. So it may not have been so easy to blend in as you think, especially for my Italian ancestors who were darker than many black people I know.

So yeah, the stigma of indentured servitude could be lost, but it was still obvious to others what our heritage was, and my ancestors still suffered the stigma of being Irish, Italian or Pennsylvania Dutch (actually Deutsch - German). No, I'm not comparing that to hundreds of years of slavery, but it was still a disadvantage.

But what I'm more interested in is what you said about everything you deal with being somehow related to your race. Can you give me some examples of that? I'm having trouble imagining what that would be like.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren Pechtel
            People don't want to accept they were wrong, it's easier to believe someone has it in for them. Is it any wonder that racism is "rampant"???
            Okay, I kind of understand what you're saying, but what do you mean by "people don't want to accept they were wrong"? Are you speaking of people in the race threads, or the white race in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
              Driver: You only pulled me over because I'm black.

Officer: You're only saying that because I'm white.
              nice one

Comment

Okay, I kind of understand what you're saying, but what do you mean by "people don't want to accept they were wrong"? Are you speaking of people in the race threads, or the white race in general?
                Loren is saying that people would rather scream racism than accept that they did something wrong. And this is true of some people.

Actually, I take that back, it true for LOTS of people, no matter their color. Some folks would really rather believe that AA is what kept them from getting a job, instead of believing that their really stupid answers in the oral board is what did it (lol). Lokk at the anti-governemt/anti-cop folks, it's so easy to blame authority than to look to your own actions.

Everyone wants sooo bad to be a victim.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven13
                  Sounds like the promotion case being discussed must have been in Memphis:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...se&no=02a0061p

http://www.ipmaac.org/files/johnson_...s-12-28-06.pdf
                  I guess nobody has anything to say about the information?
                  The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

This thread wasn't started with the intention of throwing the coals under the stove of long-debated civil rights issues, or family ties to racism, or "the white man's burden" or any of that stuff at all.

I really just wanted to see some of the witty responses you guys use when you're faced with this kind of stuff. It can just as well be "You're only harrassing me because I drive an import!" or "You only stopped me because I work at Taco Bell" or even "You would have put some effort into my burglary report if you didn't know I was a defense attorney!"

I'm talking about the BS arguements people come up with when they try to stop us from doing our jobs. It just so happens, that the race issue is that which comes up most often. That's why I asked the question the way I did.

Comment

But if they did, I doubt all the white people on the board would feel they had to jump in and defend the hayseeds/thugs.
                      Well...I'm not sure why there's such a disconnect between what I write and the CORRECT understanding of what I've written, but as I said numerous times in the now defunct Why Cops Frisk So Many Blacks thread, I certainly wasn't defending criminals or criminal activity. I'm not sure why after 5 weeks in that thread and my scores of posts, my points are still not understood.

I wasn't actually directing my comment in you in particular. I've just noticed that it seems to happen. For instance we consistently have an intelligent, articulate young black woman in the form of LongLegz who seems to think she has to defend criminals getting frisked on the street just because they're the same race, as well as obviously smart, well-educated black cops who will bicker endlessly with their "brothers in blue" over the rights of thugs that they would probably never associate with in real life.

I guess I'm just saying that as a white person, I will always find it hard to relate to that strong identification with race, or ever experience that sense of unity which would motivate me to come out fighting for whites, irish, italian, german,or whatever blood I may have in me.
                      Again, I wasn't defending "criminals getting frisked in the street". What I WAS defending was the BLATANT general attitude via Scratch, Miami, Subcop, and random others, that BLACK people are like...a "disease" in this country, if you will. And I KNEW that that is what that thread would turn into. "Why of course, we frisk so many Blacks because they are more likely to be criminals" and blah blah blah. That is what that thread was about.

I don't care if cops frisk criminals, I care when people generalize a whole race of people (of which I happen to belong) in such a scathingly, disgustingly negative way. Admittedly, I'm bound to be a little biased and more defensive since I am a minority, however I honestly do try to be objective and see everyone's side of things and think about everyone's points. I don't just automatically refute everything you and others say just for the sake of refuting it. But there are just some things that I am NOT going to agree with, period.

Some of the responses in this thread show the real cause of most "racism". It's easier to blame racism (or any other -ism) than to recognize it's one's own failings. People don't want to accept they were wrong, it's easier to believe someone has it in for them. Is it any wonder that racism is "rampant"???
                      It's easier to blame ANYTHING other than yourself for anything. It doesn't mean the "isms" do not exist are or not valid. If White people can cosntantly blame AA for their failings, then Blacks can blame racism. Fair?

Originally posted by Medici
                      I'm white and married to a white woman, as a result, we have a a white child.
                      Our daycare person is black as black can be with a black husband and a black child.
                      I tell people who think I am racisst to talk to my daycare lady. They get a dumbfounded look on their face and then I tell them she is black. I tell them I can trust my little guy with a black family.
                      That usually shuts them up.
                      As IloveAmerica touched on (and this is nothing specifically against you, I felt that you meant well but I just want to explain something), White people have NEVER had a problem with Black people taking care of their children. That's been customary throughout slavery, post-slavery, and as we can see, even now. You fail to understand that that kind of defense is akin to the "I have a Black friend" defense to racism. Does that mean you are not heavily prejudiced or racist? No. Slavemasters frequently bedded their Black slaves, you have KKK members who had Black mistresses, people like the late senator Strom Thurmond who for so long paraded FOR segregation and racist policies yet turned out to have had a long affair with a Black woman and fathered a child with her.

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                      Screaming about any of the 'ism's is what my mother used to say was the "last resort of the ignorant." Whether it was sex, race, age or whatever, it usually means that someone couldn't come up with a decent argument for or against their actions. I don't respond to that bait.
                      It is actually usually the "last resort of the ignorant" to deny that any of those exist. It usually means that you're just...ignorant.

Originally posted by ronbgone
                      Yet, let a white person wear a shirt that says, Its a White thing or lets have a month that we specifically call, White History Month, and see how many black people get upset.
                      Think we've beat that to death, please get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31
                        How bout if you ever get hired, give it a try and let us know how it works out.
                        No, and no.
                        The statements posted on here are of my own and does not represent any agency that I am in process with, was in process with or will be in process with.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar2845
                          Loren is saying that people would rather scream racism than accept that they did something wrong. And this is true of some people.

Actually, I take that back, it true for LOTS of people, no matter their color. Some folks would really rather believe that AA is what kept them from getting a job, instead of believing that their really stupid answers in the oral board is what did it (lol). Lokk at the anti-governemt/anti-cop folks, it's so easy to blame authority than to look to your own actions.

Everyone wants sooo bad to be a victim.
                          Exactly!

People blame all sorts of things other than themselves. It's just in generally socially acceptable to blame discrimination.

Comment

Originally posted by LongLegz
                            It's easier to blame ANYTHING other than yourself for anything. It doesn't mean the "isms" do not exist are or not valid. If White people can cosntantly blame AA for their failings, then Blacks can blame racism. Fair?
                            Except AA is real discrimination. It does cause people to be denied opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o
                              I guess nobody has anything to say about the information?

Ok, I'll say something about it. Is it the right case? it was posted by someone who is not you, so I really didnt know if it was the right stuff. I could only get one of the links to open and it looked like two (2) females had filed suit, not 50. I would think 50 would be a class action, but I dont know jack about the lawyer crap so I wont try to fake it. From what I read, it appeared that the suit was because the Memphis has trouble keeping the testing consistant.

Fight the power tony o.
                              It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Except AA is real discrimination. It does cause people to be denied opportunity.
                                As does skin color. And that is actually "real discrimination" as well. Like, I don't understand...so you want us to concede that Whites are discriminated against, but yet you don't want to concede that minorities are?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4145 users online. 271 members and 3874 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X