300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMPLETELY Hypothetical Situation

As the title states, this is a completely hypothetical situation and I just wanted to hear people's thoughts.

Say a person who worked at a big name electronics store for two years as asset protection in Indiana finally got the chance to go to the police academy. That person took a leave of absence for the summer, knowing that the department he or she got onto was only a part time gig until that person could graduate college. So he or she graduates the academy that summer and returns back to the big name electronics store to work part time as well as working for the police department part time. Unbeknownst to he or she, their position as part time asset protection had been given away, and their job title got switched to Inventory. He or she was also expletively told not to cover the breaks or shifts for asset protection (if no one else in AP can cover a shift, the inventory associates can cover it, and breaks are also covered by inventory associates). So now he or she works in the warehouse as inventory.

Does this person in the situation above have a legal case to get their job back? Is it worth their time? Or should the person cut their losses and attempt to find another part time job?

Find another job. Most employers have ZERO duty to ensure that your job is kept open unless explicitly stated in policy or law. Or stay there until you find a FT cop job.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by paulrevere View Post
      As the title states, this is a completely hypothetical situation and I just wanted to hear people's thoughts.

Say a person who worked at a big name electronics store for two years as asset protection in Indiana finally got the chance to go to the police academy. That person took a leave of absence for the summer, knowing that the department he or she got onto was only a part time gig until that person could graduate college. So he or she graduates the academy that summer and returns back to the big name electronics store to work part time as well as working for the police department part time. Unbeknownst to he or she, their position as part time asset protection had been given away, and their job title got switched to Inventory. He or she was also expletively told not to cover the breaks or shifts for asset protection (if no one else in AP can cover a shift, the inventory associates can cover it, and breaks are also covered by inventory associates). So now he or she works in the warehouse as inventory.

Does this person in the situation above have a legal case to get their job back? Is it worth their time? Or should the person cut their losses and attempt to find another part time job?
      HYPOTHETICAL answer

No case
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Would the pay or hours be different? Would the hypothetical employee be living with hypothetical parents, so quitting a part-time job wouldn't matter anyway. Would quitting the job look poorly to the employee who may apply for full-time status at a PD? Would a change in title matter that much?

Comment

The hypothetical person, being a hypothetical LEO and all, should realize that this is strictly an employment issue and has nothing to do with law enforcement. Hypothetically, they should consult an employment lawyer.

Comment

Was the LE gig in the military?
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

If you had something in writing stating that you would return to the same position you might be able to take it up with the company, otherwise nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by paulrevere View Post
                Does this person hold in their hand a valid legal employment contract, drawn up by an attorney, and signed by both the employee and the employer, which spells out and guarantees the exact job requirements and functions to be performed, along with pay rate and hours to be worked?

If Yes, consult a lawyer about a possible lawsuit.

If No, quit and apply for a different job.

When the manure hits the fan, it's never evenly distributed.

Comment

Unless you are covered by a union contract that says otherwise, you are an "at will" employee who serves at the pleasure of your employer. You can be hired, fired, promoted or demoted for any reason or no reason. The fact that they were willing to disrupt their staffing needs and give you a leave of absence to pursue educational and professional matters totally unrelated to their business interests and then reemploy you, was very generous of them. For you to now demand you old position back is childish, ungrateful and will make them regret they helped you in the first place.

Even if you say nothing and do not pursue this, were I your supervisor, I would regard you as "just a warm body" who has no future with this company and is to be kept on payroll only for as long as you are useful. You actions have demonstrated that your heart and career are in another profession and that you're only using your current job to put food on the table until your "real job" comes along. I would view you as someone who has no long term goals with the current employer, and is not worth putting the time or effort into promoting or advancing because you are going to be leaving for another career shortly. Were you to actively pursue the issue, then the old saying come into play - Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I would rather have the inventory gig.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5056 users online. 242 members and 4814 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X