Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another(yes another!) Teacher/Student sex scandal

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another(yes another!) Teacher/Student sex scandal

    From our friends from CNN.com:

    Highlights from the story:

    • Two white women teachers are accused of having sex with black male students
    • Arrests stir racial tensions in conservative Southern town
    • South Carolina community has a Ku Klux Klan museum
    • The students' ages ranged from 11 to 15

    Here's a link* to the story:

    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/28/tea....ap/index.html

    My questions. . .

    The issue raised here was, had the teachers been black and the students white, it would be a whole different story as to the bail or even release of the accused. So my question to O.com and forum, would this be the case had the teachers been black? Or worse yet, had the teachers been black males and the students were white females, would it be different? We all remember the teachers from Florida and Tennessee, Debra Lafave & Pamela Turner, both of which practically got away with murder(having sex with their students).

    TIA.

    * News story is just too long to post, be a pal, click on the link

  • #2
    This dont sound right. Two teachers from the same school? 11yo's? I mean anythings possible but this story reeks of a setup by the students. Just my opinion.

    As for your query....would it be different? Absolutly, based more on gender than on race, but again, I have some issues with this one and I think Im gonna stay out of it till more facts come to light.
    Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
    Thomas Jefferson

    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm going to stay away from the racial topic and just approach it from a different angle.

      From what I've read women who sexually abuse boys/young men get much lighter sentencing than adult males who assault juvenile females.

      I don't know if it's just the screwed up way society looks at these things or what, but women are definetley sentenced differently than men.

      Look at that teacher (Pamela Smart?). Even after getting out of jail & being told to stay away from her victem she wouldn't leave him alone. Now what's going on? They live together. Just imagine if an adult male did this to his juvenile victem.

      BTW -> IMHO pedophiles can't be rehabilitated. You touch a child you get LIFE. Period. Too many of these sickos are able to continually re-offend. Anyone know the actual recitivism (sp?) rate? It's got to be high.
      "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
      ____________________________________
      http://www.danielfaulkner.com
      Justice for Officer Daniel Faulkner
      ____________________________________
      09/11/2001 Never Forget

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Operator13
        .....


        BTW -> IMHO pedophiles can't be rehabilitated. You touch a child you get LIFE. Period. Too many of these sickos are able to continually re-offend. Anyone know the actual recitivism (sp?) rate? It's got to be high.
        I am in agreement, pedo's can not be rehab'd. I just don't see how from my vantage point.

        In regards to your question the recitivism rate, here's an article:

        http://www.csom.org/pubs/mythsfacts.html - an August 2000 article

        # child molesters had a 13% reconviction rate for sexual offenses and a 37% reconviction rate for new, non-sex offenses over a five year period; and
        # rapists had a 19% reconviction rate for sexual offenses and a 46% reconviction rate for new, non-sexual offenses over a five year period.
        Another Article from 2006 http://www.livescience.com/othernews...tor_panic.html

        Their stats claim, 1/5 re-offend.

        A question, should a female be held to the same standard as men when it comes to sex crimes?

        As to the race card being used, this is tough, and you all both right, it is probably best not to touch it, too controversial; it'll open a new can of worms

        TIA

        Comment


        • #5
          Since no one wants to have an opinion on the issue or race in the case, let me start by saying that the thread starter asked for opinions. Opinions cant be right or wrong so I'm not sure why the others avoided adding their opinion on race in this case but had an opinion on other aspects of it...JMO.

          As far as the questions....would black teachers had gotten the same treatment? Of course not. This country has definately came along way as far as trying to eliminate the negative stigma of the law being enforced based on race. But let's be honest, there's just some places that it will never change any time soon. It's not just because of the race of the parties involved that the treatment was lesser than if the roles were reversed. Like operater said, males get treated harder than females. There's also the notion that males cant be raped or forced to have sex.

          I did find it interesting though that two other teachers in that area were punished for the same offense somewhat recently.

          Comment


          • #6
            Reason I didn't want to touch the race card is because some folks around here don't know how to handle it properly as adults. It is not to say there can't an intelligent conversation, it is just that one thing can lead to another.

            The race is an issue if it was a black man, the DAs would rip him a new one; especially in a town like that, where they have a KKK museum. But who knows, I am not a resident of that town to be able to get a clear consensus on race relations. I am quite sure the females may be let off with a slap on the wrist, I believe, from a guys point of view.

            The idea that a man can be sexually assaulted by a female hasn't hit mainstream America yet. Until some real tragedy occurs, I don't see a white woman whether sexually assaulting a black or white boy or girl to be considered a heinous crime. Maybe in the next decade, this will be the case, but not in this generation. As it becomes more prevalent, maybe.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Raiden
              Reason I didn't want to touch the race card is because some folks around here don't know how to handle it properly as adults. It is not to say there can't an intelligent conversation, it is just that one thing can lead to another.

              The race is an issue if it was a black man, the DAs would rip him a new one; especially in a town like that, where they have a KKK museum. But who knows, I am not a resident of that town to be able to get a clear consensus on race relations. I am quite sure the females may be let off with a slap on the wrist, I believe, from a guys point of view.

              The idea that a man can be sexually assaulted by a female hasn't hit mainstream America yet. Until some real tragedy occurs, I don't see a white woman whether sexually assaulting a black or white boy or girl to be considered a heinous crime. Maybe in the next decade, this will be the case, but not in this generation. As it becomes more prevalent, maybe.
              Good point on everything you said bro. I second.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Raiden
                My questions. . .

                The issue raised here was, had the teachers been black and the students white, it would be a whole different story as to the bail or even release of the accused. So my question to O.com and forum, would this be the case had the teachers been black? Or worse yet, had the teachers been black males and the students were white females, would it be different? We all remember the teachers from Florida and Tennessee, Debra Lafave & Pamela Turner, both of which practically got away with murder(having sex with their students).
                Of course - the punishment would be different, and the way people felt about it would be different.

                Its been discussed on here before. Usually alot of the guys say stuff like "where was that teacher when I was in school!?" so - that just perpetuates that its OK for the women to do it.

                Comment

                MR300x250 Tablet

                Collapse

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 4650 users online. 288 members and 4362 guests.

                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                Welcome Ad

                Collapse
                Working...
                X