300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Loren Pechtel
    There's no law against possession that I'm aware of but they're prescription only.

You're missing the point.

I fully agree that the addiction makes them take the risks to get their fix. That doesn't mean that if there were a way they could get their fix without the risk that they wouldn't use it.

I have never denied that drugs are evil. I just believe that the drug war is causing more harm than the drugs themselves.
    What exactly IS your point then? The taxpayers should foot the bill for drugs and a clean way for people to use them?

I'll tell you what. Abandon the war on drugs and you might as well just let everyone have free reign on society. I appreciate your beliefs in mankind doing the noble, resposible thing but I think it's a fairy tail. Not only will it never happen, it would be complete madness.

Again, if you want to see what this type of environment is like there are a few in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mirrain
      Abandon the war on drugs and you might as well just let everyone have free reign on society. I appreciate your beliefs in mankind doing the noble, resposible thing but I think it's a fairy tail. Not only will it never happen, it would be complete madness.
      Personally, I think the whole "war on drugs" metaphor is unhelpful. If there was a war, then we've lost. It's that simple. I have never been to Canada but in the UK, which has the advantage of being an island, drugs are available pretty much everywhere. The price of cocaine, which has to be imported, has remained static since the mid 1980's. You don't have to be a genius to see that supply is massively out-stripping demand despite our robust anti-drugs policy. I am astonished at the naviety of some of the posters on this thread. Imagine a society where drugs are freely available. WAKE UP! COCAINE, HEROIN AND ALL THE REST CAN BE OBTAINED ALMOST EVERYWHERE DESPITE ALL OUR BEST EFFORTS.

Of course sticking cocaine up your nose is neither good for you or society. And don't even get me started on the idiots who think that cannabis is harmless. Any cop can tell you that this notion that the no-one ever started a fight after smoking some puff is c**p. The number of paranoid schizophrenics I have dealt with who smoke herb on a daily basis also strongly suggests to me that all the research by clever men and women about a link to mental illness may well have some basis in fact.

BUT. Please, let's not pretend that if we could only kick down a few more doors and arrest a few more dealers, then the problem could be turned around.
      I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

• Originally posted by cst.sb
        Save for "alcohol" none of those things are taken by choice. As a society we should be compassion to those with mental and physical health issues. And I am personally compassionate with drug addicts and probably know more by first and last name than any of you. That being said, just because we are compassionate to the addict, doesn't mean we should legalize drugs.
        Do the terms "decriminalization" and "legalization" mean the same thing? I see the former as meaning drugs would still be illegal to possess, but not a criminal offense, more of an infraction. That would be alright with me.

That you have compassion for the drug addict shows you view it as more of a health issue vs. crime issue. I think many that are anti-legalization have a similar viewpoint, some have given me a thumbs up for quitting meth even though I flat out admit to committing 1000's of felonies.If I admitted commiting any other type of crime I don't think I would get the same responses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mirrain
          What exactly IS your point then? The taxpayers should foot the bill for drugs and a clean way for people to use them?

I'll tell you what. Abandon the war on drugs and you might as well just let everyone have free reign on society. I appreciate your beliefs in mankind doing the noble, resposible thing but I think it's a fairy tail. Not only will it never happen, it would be complete madness.

Again, if you want to see what this type of environment is like there are a few in the world.
          The high price of the drugs is due to the illegality. If the drugs were legal the druggies would be no more problem than the winos are now.

I'm not saying they should be provided by the government. I'm just saying that the government should only be discouraging them, not making them illegal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren Pechtel
            The high price of the drugs is due to the illegality. If the drugs were legal the druggies would be no more problem than the winos are now..
            Another statement that proves you have no idea about what you're taking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigislander72
              Do the terms "decriminalization" and "legalization" mean the same thing? I see the former as meaning drugs would still be illegal to possess, but not a criminal offense, more of an infraction. That would be alright with me.

That you have compassion for the drug addict shows you view it as more of a health issue vs. crime issue. I think many that are anti-legalization have a similar viewpoint, some have given me a thumbs up for quitting meth even though I flat out admit to committing 1000's of felonies.If I admitted commiting any other type of crime I don't think I would get the same responses.
              I could live with decriminalization of possession marihuana, in Canada we're pretty much there now. However, I would like to see the sentencing here for the production be multiplied by 10.

As for the 1000 felonies, are you planning on making up for them?

Comment

• Originally posted by cst.sb
                I could live with decriminalization of possession marihuana, in Canada we're pretty much there now. However, I would like to see the sentencing here for the production be multiplied by 10.

As for the 1000 felonies, are you planning on making up for them?
                How? By doing life in prison? I would rather not, and just be a good citizen from now on.

PS Whats up with spelling it marihuana? Don't the use the letter 'j' up north?
                Last edited by bigislander72; 04-17-2007, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigislander72
                  How? By doing life in prison? I would rather not, and just be a good citizen from now on.
                  That's great that you're a good citizen now, and I don't know what types of crimes you committed, but I'm sure you probably left lots of victims in your wake.

Just wondering, what, if anything, you plan on doing to make amends. Or because you're clean now, and living like you should have been from the get go, or is everything square now?

Comment

• Well Bigislander, you appeared online long after my message was posted. Did you leave o.com up, or did you just choose not to answer?

Having been to countless "property crimes", such as break and enters, I can tell you that they are hardly victim less.

So, I was wondering if you planing on making amends IE teaching kids about the evils of drug addiction, volunteering at a seniors center or community center?

Probably the great victims of property crimes are seniors. A piece of jewelery stolen and traded for drugs, was more often than not the theft of a memory. Theft of a time or long long past.

So again, are you, or have you considered making amends for the 1000 evil (oops, I mean "felonies".) things you did?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4399 users online. 249 members and 4150 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X