300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced Holiday Comp question

In my department in California, as with many, we have paid holidays throughout the year. These holidays are paid at regular rate for an 8 hour. While on patrol if you work on the holiday you were paid your regular pay for hours worked along with the holiday 8 hours. We are now being told that in all other divisions, like investigations, we are required to take the day off. The problem is is all other divisions outside of our Patrol are more than 8 hour shifts most are 10 some are 12 hour shifts. Because of this we are forced to use two to four hours of our own time to supplement our shift

My question is can they force us to take a holiday comp day off when they're not forcing the teams on patrol?

That's one of the hazards of working 3/12s and 4/10s. More than likely it is spelled out in the MOU with your bargaining unit.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

That would be spelled out in your union contract, we wouldn't have the answer for you.

Comment

Bwahahahahahaha...classic...

Comment

Call your association or union rep. They will have the answer for you. You should also have a copy of your labor agreement and know it as well as you know the PC and CVC.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Wouldn't have to ask me twice to take the holiday off!
            Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
            Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

I know our non patrol guys are are flex 40. Meaning a 4/10. As long as they get their 40 in during the week. So some come in an hour extra for 2 days.
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

PER FSLA yes they can. They have a lot of things they can do with LE that don't apply to normal jobs.
                The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Look in your union contract under the section marked "Management Rights". Just about every contract contains the same boilerplate language stating:

Except for those rights which are expressly abridged or limited by this Agreement, all rights are reserved to the employer.

In other words, unless the contract says otherwise, your union has agreed that the department can do as it pleases.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I for one don't believe this one post wonder is actually a real cop.

As EVERY OTHER California Officer posted. Your answer isn't found online. It's found in your Association's MOU. A Real cop would know that. Even a rookie.
                    semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4594 users online. 303 members and 4291 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X