Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-duty Carry Policies

Hello,

I have been asked to look into off-duty carry policies. Currenyly our department does not mandate officers carry a gun off-duty, its the officers choice. Our policy only states that officers must carry their badge if they carry a gun off-duty. Can you please tell me what your department policy is...are you mandated to carry...are their any exceptions to it, like jogging, working out, etc where you are exempted from manadated carry ? I would really like to see some actual policies. If your policies are posted on your department website could you provide the web link ? Or if you can e-mail them to me at E-MAIL i would appreciate the help with my research. Also willing to hear all opinions on this topic.

Thanks and Stay Safe.

We were never 'required' to carry our weapon when off-duty -- unless we were driving a sheriff's office vehicle. As you mentioned, we were expected to have our badge/identification with us at all times when carrying.

It has been awhile since I was a sworn deputy, but we also were limited with the type of weapon we were permitted to carry when off-duty. We could either use our service weapon or other "approved" artillery. No .44 Magnum at a restaurant with your wife and kids.

Some deputies carried all the time when not working, while others hardly ever did. It was our discretion. In all honesty, I seldom carried when I was not working. Fortunately, I was never in a situation where I needed my weapon and did not have it.
    :Whew!:

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Though i am not a sworn officer yet, ive read many articles where off duty cops were able to stop things in progress and or stop things from happening while off duty, which they would not be able to if they didnt carry on duty.

Personally when i do become a police officer, provided the department policy for the department i aim to work for accepts, will always have a weapon off duty, along with identification, as you never really know what you'll see or encounter out in the public when your not in the black uniform and in a civilian vehicle.

I know this wasnt exactly what the original post was for, but i figured i would add my input/opinion.
      Sincerely,
      Justice71

"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Comment

We cannot carry our duty weapon outside of the state unless on official business(duh). Any other weapon we carry off duty must be inspected by one of our armorers, test fired by a crime lab tech, and then we need to pass the basic handgun qualification course. The same approval process goes for carrying your personal AR on duty.
        Last edited by SalemBlue; 09-28-2007, 01:07 PM.

Comment

We can carry anything .380 through .45, that we qualify with, and it must be approved by a firearms instructor. The gun must be carried in a holster with a retention device (thumb break, some type of latch, etc.). The deputy must carry his ID card, badge and cuffs. A firearm may not be carried, off-duty, into a bar or when drinking alcohol.

We don't mandate off-duty carry. I usually carry, but if they want to require it, they can pay me to do so.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We can carry a 9mm, .40 or .45 but only in certain makes (listed in the policy). Also, you must qualify for each weapon you intend to carry off duty. God help you if you are caught carrying a weapon you did not qualify with.
            A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Our off-duty must be at least .38 for revolvers, 9mm for semis. Hi end is .357 or .40. Our issued sidearms are Beretta 96, but as long as you qualify with it, you can carry a Beretta, S&W, or Glock off duty. We are required to carry at least 1 spare magazine and department ID.
              Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

We can pretty much carry any weapon off duty, as long as it is approved by the department armorer AND you qualify with it. We have an annual qualification with off-duty guns. You also must carry badge, ID, and an approved restraining device. I believe the policy is about to be modified to mandate carrying a reload as well.
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

We're mandated by dept policy to carry while off duty. We can carry anything we have qualified with. If you have any intentions of carrying said weapon on duty as a BUG you have to go through the same qualification course as our duty weapon. If you only intend to carry it off duty you just need to fire off a few rounds in front of a range official showing it is in proper working order. Our policy isn't very clear but does say you don't have to carry when it wouldn't be practical due to clothing (gym, sports, etc.) and also not allowed to carry if we intend to drink. Other than that, we are required to be armed, subject to a 1 day suspension if we're not.
                  sigpic

Comment

Permissive, not mandatory off duty carry policy. Only allowed to carry weapon qualified with, .38 or 9MM.

Comment

We are required to carry if we are within the city limits while off duty. The exceptions are anything unreasonable (at the pool, jogging, mowing the lawn, etc) or if we have been drinking.

Comment

Hi Jacko and welcome to the forum!

This question would probably be better answered in the Ask A Cop forum.
                        -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Back in the 1970s the issue of mandatory carry came back to bite the justice system. On St. Patrick's Day, an off duty SFPD officer who was drunk, came across an off duty parking checker in a financial district bar. The officer, who had a long standing feud with the parking checker, walked up to him, drew his weapon, shot him in the back of the head and killed him.

The officer was tried and convicted by a jury of murder and committing a felony while armed with a firearm. However, the conviction for committing a felony while armed was reversed by the judge. Their logic was that because the officer was required by his department (the government) to be armed at all times, it was inappropriate for the government to now punish him for having complied with that order. I know the logic sounds a little twisted. Nonetheless, I am not aware of it ever being overturned.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

My dept just changed their policy last week. It used to be we are required to carry off duty. Now it says we "may" carry off duty. It was changed due to a couple of officers recently getting into trouble for carrying off duty and drinking. Their argument was that they were required to carry off duty, but the law also says that you cannot carry and be drinking, so something had to be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKO
                              Hello,

I have been asked to look into off-duty carry policies. Currenyly our department does not mandate officers carry a gun off-duty, its the officers choice. Our policy only states that officers must carry their badge if they carry a gun off-duty. Can you please tell me what your department policy is...are you mandated to carry...are their any exceptions to it, like jogging, working out, etc where you are exempted from manadated carry ? I would really like to see some actual policies. If your policies are posted on your department website could you provide the web link ? Or if you can e-mail them to me at E-MAIL i would appreciate the help with my research. Also willing to hear all opinions on this topic.

Thanks and Stay Safe.
                              Not REDQUIRED, but is preffered that we carry off duty. We must qualify with our off duty weapon.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5109 users online. 282 members and 4827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X