300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional courtesy for student?

I doubt many of you would but I was fortunate enough that I got two tickets recently removed due to the fact that I was a CJ student. I didn't tell the officer when they pulled me over, but approached them later explaining the situation, saying I was willing to pay the fine but wanted a ticket without points so that it wouldn't DQ me from getting hired on by a department. Expecting them to show up to court and ask that I receive a no point ticket, both chose not to show up at all. The first one told me he would dismiss it, and the second one was sent an e-mail by his supervisor letting him know I was a CJ student, wasn't trying to get out of the ticket and that I just wanted a no point ticket, but he never called me back, I assumed his absence at the trial was intentional. I don't intentionally violate the law with the hope of getting out of tickets this way, I just happened to make two isolated mistakes.

My question, do you feel PC extends to those going to school for CJ? I am not referring to any average joe who takes a CJ class but rather someone who has declared it their major and is dedicating themselves to it. This question also assumes the violator did not commit the violation with the intention of receiving PC if caught. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by michiganDT; 03-20-2007, 02:19 PM.

I believe CJ students are almost totally removed from the expectation of professional courtesy from Law Enforcement, however I have had a ticket taken care of once the officer learned of my aspirations.

I don't expect it. If I get it, that's great but if not I can live with it.
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Just remember when you apply some day you will still need to list the tickets you received on your application. They are still in the court system and your BI will find them. Just an FYI.

Comment

Get the popcorn out, there is a case of budlight in the fridge. Here have a chair.

Comment

Nope. It is great you are studying CJ in school, but its not the same thing in my opinion. There is a reason I extend PC and college is not it.

Comment

Originally posted by Contact

I don't expect it. If I get it, that's great but if not I can live with it.
            That's how I feel whenever I get stopped by someone my CIL works with.

Comment

I also don't expect it, I was shocked by the officers absence at the trial. I was more than willing to pay the ticket I just hoped they would spare me the points, I didn't expect to get off totally scot free.

Comment

I don’t extend professional courtesy to CJ students. First, they are not colleagues. Secondly, anyone can be a CJ student, even career criminals. Thirdly, I work for a university PD and some of most obnoxious people I arrest are CJ, pre-law, and law students.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six
                  I don’t extend professional courtesy to CJ students. First, they are not colleagues. Secondly, anyone can be a CJ student, even career criminals. Thirdly, I work for a university PD and some of most obnoxious people I arrest are CJ, pre-law, and law students.
                  Gee....how many pre-law or law students have approached you when you were making an arrest and started trying to quote the law when they were drunk....?

Comment

yea CJ is a worthless degree anyway. I dont see why anyone would major in it. They teach you CJ plus more at the academy.. I made the error of getting one of my Bachelor's in it. Im glad I also got one in a science since almost everyone around here seems to have that CJ degree including my most recent barber and a woman working as a cashier at the local police surplus store.
                    Last edited by ChargerPD; 03-20-2007, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Well trust me the classes are boring as hell, but do you know of an academy that accepts you without having to take all the CJ classes first? The academy at my school requires 45 credits in a bunch of misc. classes half of them CJ half of them general ed.

Comment

Professional courtesy for a student?

Hell no...refer to Ten Six's post
                        "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by michiganDT
                          My question, do you feel PC extends to those going to school for CJ?
                          No. I don't feel as though it does.
                          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

...saying I was willing to pay the fine but wanted a ticket without points so that it wouldn't DQ me from getting hired on by a department..." "...I don't intentionally violate the law with the hope of getting out of tickets this way, I just happened to make two isolated mistakes..."

"...This question also assumes the violator did not commit the violation with the intention of receiving PC if caught. What do you guys think?
                            It is obvious to me that you are trying to stretch the PC of officers in your area. If you are truly concerned about your driving record, pay strict attention to how you drive.

If I were to stop you, you can bet you would get a "citation."

LEOs are a family.....you are an embryo - at best!

Be respobisble in your behavior and you will not have to worry about passing your BI!
                            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I
                              My question, do you feel PC extends to those going to school for CJ?
                              I think your question has been answered by the above posts. I've never had this happen to me, but I know officers who have pulled over explorers or CJ students who have tried to get PC and ended up with a very ****ed off officer ticketing them.

Good luck to you. I hope you make it on some day.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3947 users online. 191 members and 3756 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X