300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashcam video of officer-involved shooting in Atlantic City, 3/27/14

The first 11 minutes is a pursuit. Then at about 11:15, the shooting starts. The suspect calmly strolls across the street while shooting at officers. At the same time, there are bystanders behind the shooter: none of those are injured, despite 45 bullets going in their general direction. Amazing job! I assume that this is the result of a lot of training.

[edit]: more information on what happened:

http://www.gloucestercitynews.net/cl...ash-cam-f.html
    Last edited by Max K; 07-26-2017, 01:12 PM.
    https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

It's reassuring that it worked out in the officer's favor. My only thing and this is more of a question than it is me trying to correct him, but shouldn't he have had cover and had the subject exit the vehicle and do the whole felony stop routine rather than aggressively approaching like that? Or perhaps he did that to try and prevent the driver from taking off again?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Adams View Post
      and do the whole felony stop routine
      My guess is, it's already escalated past that point, there is no more reasonable expectation of any cooperation, it's just pure force-on-force now. I can't imagine the stress level. Did you see the round that hit the snow on the sidewalk at 11:23, with people walking right behind it?
      https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Adams View Post
        It's reassuring that it worked out in the officer's favor. My only thing and this is more of a question than it is me trying to correct him, but shouldn't he have had cover and had the subject exit the vehicle and do the whole felony stop routine rather than aggressively approaching like that? Or perhaps he did that to try and prevent the driver from taking off again?
        Sometimes that works................sometimes it doesn't.

At the time where the fecal matter hits the rotary wind machine ---------------you do what needs to be done AS IT NEEDS to be done
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Langford PR
          Langford PR commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

......and the fecal matter coming off that oscillating device is not distributed evenly!

Yeah that makes sense, and I suppose regardless no one died or got hurt other than the butt that started it. So I would say mission accomplished.

And I suppose you're right as well, after nearly 10 minutes of car chase I doubt very seriously he would've done anything they told him too. Didn't think about it like that.

Comment

I can guarantee you had that camera driver been with LASD he would be facing some discipline for his actions during the pursuit....He just had to be the lead car...passing other patrol cars etc..
          Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
            I can guarantee you had that camera driver been with LASD he would be facing some discipline for his actions during the pursuit....He just had to be the lead car...passing other patrol cars etc..
            Yea, LASD has very strict policies.....................other agencies are a bit more lax

I didn't watch the chase, since I have seen enough of them.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

IOWA- it's safe to say LASD has the STRICTEST PURSUIT POLICY. It's folk lore in LA County that when departments screw up the brass says they will change the policy to LASD.

And with LASD the officer leaving cover would have gotten dinged along with some of those final shots
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                I've got to go with Retired on this one (and I'm probably going to get flamed for my comments here) but I saw absolutely no pursuit discipline among the units involved in this event. For that matter, I've seen several prior pursuit videos out of New Jersey where there is not pursuit discipline with various units jockeying for position like it is a contest between them to see who can be first to get the rabbit. I have to ask if New Jersey agencies even have pursuit policies or procedures? And I don't bring this issue up as a manager, but to keep officers from needlessly getting hurt or sued because of a poorly run pursuit.

Next was the officer operating the unit that made the video. The matter seemed personal, as if he just HAD to be primary throughout the chase, no matter what.

The termination cause me some concern also. The bad guy came out of the car pointing his gun at the officers, so I have not problem with them opening fire on him. But after they dropped him, he was immobile and motionless. Although his gun was still in his right hand, it was laying across his chest and not pointed at anyone. From a public perception point of view, he did not present an imminent danger to the officers who had cover. Nonetheless, I counted over 40 rounds still being fired at him as he lay there. Granted, he could have been playing possum, but after all the rounds that were first fired into him and the way he dropped, those last 40 rounds are going to be a hard sell.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• shortyj
                  shortyj commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The guy with the dash came in his vehicle was no doubt in the wrong. Im not really sure why he HAD to be in the front.

I also agree with you on it being a little bit excessive towards the end when several officers continued to fire while the guy lays motionless on the ground. There are several store fronts and civilians around and to just be firing away like that...not good. The one officer towards the left after the shooting started had no cover either...

Overall I think they did a good job. Thank goodness no one else was hurt.

A while back I watched a New Jersey chase that lasted about 20 minutes...Speeds were well over 100 MPH...Patrol cars were pulling along side the suspect at high speeds..If I remember correctly he was a murder suspect....Towards the end the suspect went across the freeway and drove at extreme high speeds and one idiot officer followed him both driving 80-100 mph...There was moderate traffic but it ended when the suspect crashed head on into another vehicle and he was killed.....It was without a doubt the most dangerous chase I have ever watched, absolutely no pursuit discipline...

Having spent my career with LASD and had my fair share of pursuits, I'm convinced some of these other agencies have no pursuit training..In my opinion the CHP is the best pursuit agency in the country....(sure L-1 will like that)
                Retired LASD

Comment

I skipped to near the end of the chase, but did read that article linked in the first post--guy had PCP in his system, per the autopsy. At least no one else got hurt.
                  Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. --Mark Twain

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10868 users online. 484 members and 10384 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X