Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops writing other cops

Just wondering,
    Why is it that when a police officer pulls over another off duty officer for speeding he is expected to let him off the hook? Talk about trying to be above the law. If your job is to enforce the laws then why do you think you can break them and get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?

deleted should have been a quote.
    "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VP1
      Just wondering,
      Why is it that when a police officer pulls over another off duty officer for speeding he is expected to let him off the hook? Talk about trying to be above the law. If your job is to enforce the laws then why do you think you can break them and get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?
      Post reported for it's anti-LEO content.
      "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rohan
        Post reported for it's anti-LEO content.
        Lighten up man! He was just asking a question. Does he have to tiptoe around the issue? There are other topics that address this very issue.

Comment

Originally posted by VP1
          Just wondering,
          If your job is to enforce the laws then why do you think you can break them and get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?
          Hi VP1,

Just a warning before the wolves come at you. . .

1) You will be told that this issue/topic has been discussed many times and to use the search feature
          2) Because of item 1) you will most likely be shunned and will not be looked upon highly
          3) Keep in mind that LEOs are most likely the users of this website, you will not always get the answer you are looking to get.

Now that is out of the way, it depends who you ask. Some states are very strict when it comes to citing for speeding. For example, the Commonwealth of Virginia believe it or not is pretty strict. Some LEOs get really ****ed because their fellow Virginia brethren stops/cites them.

You have to understand, LEOs are under a lot of scrutiny; so things like allowing them off with a warning is like a work perk. Its nothing official, but remember, when 911 is dialed, its the cops that come to the rescue. So in a way, they deserve some more leniency. A thing that I have noticed on these forums when asked the question is that it is really at the discretion of the LEO to cite or not to cite the off-duty cop that was speeding. It is the same discretion they use when they pull over a civilian; they can cite you or not. Obviously, if the off-duty cop is acting like a jerk and expects it unilaterally, the odds are, he'll be cited not for speeding, but for just being a jerk about it.

I don't agree always with what is mentioned here in regards to cite or not to cite, but, you have to understand LEOs are just humans like yourself and I; they make mistakes. Because they choose not to cite a fellow LEO doesn't always mean they're not doing their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by bigislander72
            Lighten up man! He was just asking a question. Does he have to tiptoe around the issue? There are other topics that address this very issue.
            Yes as a matter of fact, he should tip toe around the issue. Dont you have a pottery class or something your missing right now?

Cops dont write other cops because we dont want to, good enough. Its kinda like doctors writting scripts to another doc for vicaden when he really doesnt need the vicaden. Its sort of like you giving your Best Buy employee discount to your buddy who doesnt work there.
            It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Professional Courtesy

Its just like any other job.. they have perks

If you work at McDonalds..... you get free food
              If you work at a bank..... you get a lower interest rate
              If you work at retail store..... you get discounts
              If your a cop..... you may get professional courtesy

Comment

Originally posted by VP1
                Just wondering,
                I am a very proactive guy... on a regular 12 hour day shift, I stop between 10 and 50 cars depending on complaint load. I stop plenty of cops, doctors, nurses, firemen, CO's etc that I let go. I also stop plenty of regular people who I let go. Don't ask for tickets (attitude or a car stinking like you just gave Cheech and Chong a ride) and you probably wont get one.
                sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

Originally posted by VP1
                  Just wondering,
                  Why is it that when a troll visits Officer.com fails to do a search and posts a question that has been asked five hundred times he gets upset that he gets stupid answers? Are not all registered users of this site expected to search before asking questions? If your job is to do a search before posting why do you think you can fail to search and get away with it? Pretty stupid if you ask me. Opinions?

_If you really want a good answer do a traffic enforcment study.________________________

1.) Pick a five mile stretch of road, then for 6 months you must count every car that travels on that road. Then you must also do a study on the posted speed limit and take in account for schools, traffic controls, pedestrian traffic, tourism, residencial areas, traffic flow, weather, etc.
                  2.) Now you need to obtain motorvehicle stop data from every Police department that patrols that area. You will need to include every time an on duty Officer drives on the road you are studying and the amount of time he/she spent on that road, why they were on that road,the time of day, and length of time spent on that road. Now you can look at how many traffic stops were conducted. You will need to look at how many verbal and written warnings were issued, how many stops were for assistance such as broken down cars or accidents, how many arrests were made, how many criminal summons, and finally how many citations were issue that resulted in only a fine. Also it needs to be included all the number of violations that were discovered and of those which were not included in the citation. Moreover, you will need to have Officers that were patrolling road write down how many violations that they actually observed and either chose not to or were unable to stop. That should take another 4 months to compile that data.

3.) Of the vehicles you need to separate them by type of vehicle, condition of vehicle (safe or unsafe), general look of vehicle. Of those people stopped you will need to divide them up by criminal history, driving history, age, how they are dressed, occupation, etc. Then you need to indicate what they did as the Officer was stopping them, quick movements, nothing, or turned dome light on and put hands on the wheel waiting for the Officer. You further will have to show the persons attitude, carefully documenting their exact demeanor. Thats another 2 months of work.

4.) You will also need to complete a 6 month police academy and work as a Patrol Officer for 2 years. This will give you an understanding of patrol operations, stress of the job, responding to all sorts of calls, investigating minor to fatal car accidents, and learning from Veteran Officers that have 25 years + of service.

5.) I guarentee that in 3 1/2 years you will be able to answer your own question.

Comment

And let the games begin.......
                    The All New
                    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper

What he said ^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by VP1
                        Just wondering,

My agency has determined that its officers are adults capabale of making sound decisions based on a number of circumstances - training, experience, observation, knowledge, etc - and has endowed them with the ability to take one of four basic enforcement actions, or a combination thereof, for all violations they may observe.

Those actions are: 1/ ARREST; 2/ CITE and RELEASE; 3/ WRITTEN WARNINGS; and, 4/ VERBAL WARNINGS.

The officers may utilize these actions for ANY person they stop or detain. Suffice it to say they do so with the utmost of professionalism and comfortment.

Yes, even you may be given a warning!!!
                        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Professional Courtesy

Originally posted by VP1
                          Just wondering,
                          This issue, usually under the heading of "professional courtesy," is one of the most contentious on Officer.com and in policing. Every officer I know has a strong opinion on it, stemming from their feelings about the fraternal aspect of policing, the nature of the job, and their ethical center.

Rather than start a new and usually pointless discussion, I suggest you get a cup of your favorite beverage, do a forum search on the string "professional courtesy," and settle yourself in for a long read with lots of page scrolling.

And, for the sake of keeping peace in the valley, please don't ask questions that presuppose the answer and then criticize it, all in one motion. Whatever it is that you do for a living, I am sure that there are stereotypes associated with it. You would probably probably object if people assumed that you matched the stereotype and then immediately criticized you for being that way. There are approximately 800,000 cops in the United States. Please don't assume that they all act, think, or feel the same way about anything.
                          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                            Your Right- I want to post my thoughts on this forum and then when the next person comes along and posts this question again I can just copy and paste.

The kid who asked the question is in College... whats one more research project. He should know by now that making sweeping accusations and assumptions are an ineffective way to answering any question he has, especially on a controversial topic.
                            By the way lets just say you (kid who posted this question) are a Civil Engineering major (which I know nothing about). I will not come to a Civil Engineering Forum and post a question that is controversial on a topic I know nothing about.

I could write...

Just wondering,
                            Why is it that when a civil engineer designs a bridge in rich white CA nieghborhood he makes it lavish and well built but he builds another bridge in a bad niegborhood in some city that the black, hispanic, immigrant population is in the majority it is thrown together. Why would you build a mediocre bridge for black, hispanic, immigrant people and a grand one for a rich white population ? Talk about being racist. If your job is to make good bridges then why do you think you can be so racist get away with it? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. Opinions?

Now thats said if you were a CE major you might say that I know nothing about bridges and that the I would need to consider city budgets, design details, area studies, geological studies, river size-depth-speed, and so on. Then you would say how dare I call you racist.
                            Last edited by 208; 03-18-2007, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiden
                              For example, the Commonwealth of Virginia believe it or not is pretty strict. Some LEOs get really ****ed because their fellow Virginia brethren stops/cites them.
                              Funny....I have been pulled over a time or two in VA and have never gotten stroked for a ticket.......so don't paste VA as being a place that will write LEOs....

All areas have Officers that will write other Officers.......

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13099 users online. 525 members and 12574 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X