• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cons Overseeing Cops

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...s-11217777.php

Oakland recruiting ex-cons to oversee cops

June 14, 2017 Updated: June 15, 2017 9:29am

Former cops need not apply, but former inmates are being encouraged by the city of Oakland to apply for slots on the city’s new police commission. A notice recently posted on the city’s website for would-be commissioners says, “Must be an Oakland resident. Must be at least 18 years old. Formerly incarcerated individuals encouraged to apply.”

Barry Donelan, head of the Oakland Police Officers Association, said recruiting ex-cons to help select the chief and discipline officers for misconduct was “extremely distasteful.”

And what really bugs the cops is that the voter-approved measure creating the commission bars current and former Oakland cops from serving, as well as police union employees.

Selection panel member Tal Klement, who works as a deputy public defender in San Francisco, said the ballot measure’s backers thought it was important to consider ex-cons.

He said encouraging former convicts to apply to oversee the police was in keeping with the spirit of Measure LL, the initiative that created the oversight commission.

“Part of the measure itself said they were looking for people who had experienced police contact, and obviously if you are formally incarcerated, you have experienced police conduct and potential misconduct as well,” Klement said.

The nine commission members and two alternates will be selected by the mayor and the eight-member civilian selection panel. At least one of the picks must be a retired judge or lawyer with trial experience in criminal law or police misconduct.

The deadline for applications is June 30.

City Council President Larry Reid said the invitation for former cons to apply was news to him. But he added, “We’ll probably wind up with one.”

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

“Part of the measure itself said they were looking for people who had experienced police contact...” Klement said.
    What the ballot measure actually says is "representation from communities experiencing the most frequent contact with the Department." Not quite the same thing.

Comment

My former Chief started his career in the Oakland/Freemont area. He must be turning in his grave, rest his soul.
      Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
      In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
      Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
      Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

I think they should encourage former inmates, felons, drug dealers, and gangbangers to apply for the position of police officer. That way, the police oversight committee can "oversee" their own. All currently serving officers should be encouraged to take positions at other agencies. Let's see how THAT works out for the leaders of the fair City of Oakland.

Seriously, though.... if this comes true, I'd encourage the all officers working there to apply elsewhere. The City clearly doesn't value them.
        You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

How is this different than the Sheriff hosting a BBQ in the sentenced misdemeanor tier during election season?

pandering is pandering.

I can guarantee that OPD will see no significant employee loss if any ex-cons get on this commission. Barry, along with others, might retire and a few less people will apply but overall there will no significant decrease. OPD is one of those agencies where people know what they are getting into.
          semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post

What the ballot measure actually says is "representation from communities experiencing the most frequent contact with the Department." Not quite the same thing.
            So, crime victims?
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
              So, crime victims?
              .....always the FIRST to be forgotten.
              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

They must be smoking some REALLY powerful stuff down there! I like the idea of replacing all the cops with felons and drug users/dealers. I wish some city somewhere would try it for real. The publish a report on how it went two years later.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                  So, crime victims?
                  Mr. Klement would say you're just not getting into the spirit of things.

Comment

Hmmm, what could possibly go wrong?????
                    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Pretty soon they're going to ask everyone arrested by the police to submit a survey.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3413 users online. 202 members and 3211 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X