300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Spanish phrases for police

Can someone provide me a couple quick, common phrases in Spanish that might help a patrol deputy? I already have, "Te puedo Esculcar para drogas y armas?" when I want to search someone. Can anyone think of some more useful ones? Thanks!

No te mueva - "no tay mway-vah" - don't move
    Saque los manos - "sahk-ay los mah-nos" - show your hands
    Manos arriba - "mah-nos ay-ree-bah - hands up
    Manos detras de la cabeza - "mah-nos day-trahss day lah cah-bay-sah" - hands on the back of your head
    Siete te - "see-ett-eh tay" - sit down
    Identificacion, por favor - "Ee-dent-ee-fah-cah-syohn por -fah-vor" - identification, please
    Como te llamas? - "coh-moh tay yah-mahss" - what is your name?
    Como te llamas hoy? - What is your name today?
    A donde vives? - "ah dohn-day vee-vayss" - where do you live?
    Escribe lo aqui - "eh-screeb-ay loh ah-kee" - write it here (hand him a pen and notebook to write his address or whatever
    Firme aqui - "fear-may ah-key" - sign here
    Un official que hable Espanol estara aqui en cinco o dies minutos - "oon oh-fee-syal kay ah-blay espanol ess-tah-rah ah-key en dee-ayss o sinko mee-noo-tohss" - a Spanish-speaking officer will be here in five or 10 minutes

Google translate is a great app to use in the field. If your agency doesn't have a subscription to Language Lune, have them set it up.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Wow, excellent. Thank you very much.

Comment

No te muevas (Don't move.)
        Suelta la arma (Drop the weapon.)

Those are absolute essentials in order to make the scene safe. Most other things can wait til a translator or sufficient back up arrives.

If you live in an area like I do where 50% or better of your clientele speak Spanish, you can learn functional Spanish pretty quickly OTJ with some supplemental help at home. Duolingo is actually a pretty decent app for your phone. You can practice when you have downtime.

I studied Spanish from 7th grade through 12th grade, but I never really mastered it. Now that I actually use it daily, I'm getting better every year.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
          No te muevas (Don't move.)
          Suelta la arma (Drop the weapon.)

Those are absolute essentials in order to make the scene safe. Most other things can wait til a translator or sufficient back up arrives.

If you live in an area like I do where 50% or better of your clientele speak Spanish, you can learn functional Spanish pretty quickly OTJ with some supplemental help at home. Duolingo is actually a pretty decent app for your phone. You can practice when you have downtime.

I studied Spanish from 7th grade through 12th grade, but I never really mastered it. Now that I actually use it daily, I'm getting better every year.
          How much do you think chances to get hired would be if you knew 2-3 languages in a community with a pretty diverse population? I currently know English and German, and plan to study Spanish in college.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreWildOnes View Post

How much do you think chances to get hired would be if you knew 2-3 languages in a community with a pretty diverse population? I currently know English and German, and plan to study Spanish in college.
            Very little. First, German won't be of any benefit for getting hired. Spanish might be a very slight help, but there is a lot more to the process than that.

Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

SRT, would German be of any use even in WI?
              "You're never guaranteed the cards that life is going to deal you. But nothing says you can't play the hell out of them!"

Comment

Originally posted by mattymatt95125 View Post
                Can someone provide me a couple quick, common phrases in Spanish that might help a patrol deputy? I already have, "Te puedo Esculcar para drogas y armas?" when I want to search someone. Can anyone think of some more useful ones? Thanks!
                "jail"
                I see dumb people in the mirror.

Comment

"Llamo La Migra!"
                  "You're never guaranteed the cards that life is going to deal you. But nothing says you can't play the hell out of them!"

Comment

i like to use enseneme las manos
                    ICE

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreWildOnes View Post

I think it helps. Of course there are many other factors, but it's certainly a little something extra. Spanish would be the most valuable, but it depends on the city. In my city, Vietnamese comes up pretty often.

Also if you ever happen to learn Nepali, please give me your phone number. We have a sizable minority of people from Nepal, and NOBODY speaks that language. I called language line, and they didn't even believe that was a language.

Comment

Look up Functional Police Spanish on youtube. He has several lessons there, plus a website where you can get a certificate of completion for use in courtroom. He also has a very good book.

Comment

The NIJ has a decent online law enforcement Spanish course they offer.

espanol.training.nij.gov

Comment

Get in el vano
                            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                            Department of the Army Police Officer (0083-06)

Comment

When I get the "no habla Ingles" line, I will often say, "well we're gonna have to put you in the backseat" .
                              It is AMAZING how so many at that point speak "pequeno" Ingles.

Just a protip, rooks.

If they really do not hable the English, , Ateamers phrases above capture a lot of commands for officer safety until you get a translator.
                              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9414 users online. 424 members and 8990 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X