300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest Law Enforcement Priority

If our obvious #1 priority in law enforcement is the saving of lives and prevention of death and mayhem and, by far, traffic errors and reckless / drunken driving are responsible for more than 50,000 deaths each year, shouldn't traffic supervision and enforcement be the #1 priority of all uniformed enforcement agencies?

What say you? Hopefully, this wll be an objective and good intentioned logical debate.
    Prevention of death and mayhem by traffic enforcement
    14.47%
    Saving lives in peril
    27.04%
    Erradication of drugs
    4.40%
    Solving crimes
    6.29%
    Public education
    1.89%
    Public relations
    2.52%
    Vice control
    0.00%
    Recovering stolen property
    0.00%
    Prevention of crime by high profile patrol
    28.30%
    Other
    15.09%
    Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 03-01-2007, 04:14 PM.
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Disregard.
    Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 03-01-2007, 04:39 PM. Reason: I don't need no stinkin' reason.

Comment

We shall see!
      The All New
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I absolutely AGREE! Traffic Enforcement should be the #1 priority of ALL LEO's, in between catching calls, domestics, rapes, robberies and all the other plesentries we humans force on each other, traffic enforcement should be our main concern.

in other words when i am not catching calls I SHOULD be running traffic and that is exactly what I do. I just dont write tickets, because i hate writing tickets. i do look for dope and warrants though, thats always fun.
        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

I run traffic as the main part of my job.

But my mission as a peace officer is to keep the peace. Whatever that entails.
          Stop Animal Testing!! (Because they really skew the grading curve...)

Comment

I say no.

Accidents happen, but they are accidents. They happen to good people (although often stupid people) who just need help afterward. Of course prevention is better, but....

...Crimes such as robbery, murder, assault, etc are committed by genuine rotten eggs and I think that police should deal with the bad people rather than good people who have accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor
              I say no.

Accidents happen, but they are accidents. They happen to good people (although often stupid people) who just need help afterward. Of course prevention is better, but....

...Crimes such as robbery, murder, assault, etc are committed by genuine rotten eggs and I think that police should deal with the bad people rather than good people who have accidents.
              Even if these "good" people are killing three times as many as the "bad" people?

And "accidents" don't just happen. Some human MAKES them happen, through neglect, selfishness, disregard for the law, talking on the phone, reading a book, not inspecting their car before a trip, not studying their directions before getting lost and stopping in the middle of the highway.....on and on and on and on.

They are NOT an act of God.
              The All New
              - M1Garand

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                Even if these "good" people are killing three times as many as the "bad" people?

And "accidents" don't just happen. Some human MAKES them happen, through neglect, selfishness, disregard for the law, talking on the phone, reading a book, not inspecting their car before a trip, not studying their directions before getting lost and stopping in the middle of the highway.....on and on and on and on.

They are NOT an act of God.
                Yep, even then.

I still say that the immoral people should be dealt with first. We know what to do with them and they deserve it (and worse...). Then we can deal with the morons.

Stopping Evil = #1
                Stopping Stupidity = #2

Of course, if things changed, it would cause a public outcry of "Why aren't the police doing anything about all these horrible drivers etc boo hoo etc"

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor
                  Accidents happen, but they are accidents.
                  *Disclaimer: Not a personal attack*

I have seen only one true accident, not caused by human error or failure of servicable parts. An old Chevy stepside 3-speed was parked in an angled spot on the roadway. A wire from the starter solenoid touched the exhaust grounding the circuit. The starter drove the truck over a curb, into a parking lot into another vehicle. No one was in either vehicle.

Crimes such as robbery (carjacking), murder (vehicular homicide, DUI causing death), assault (reckless driving, DUI, DWHUA), etc are committed by genuine rotten eggs and I think that police should deal with the bad people (drug smuggling, human trafficking, anything else done with a vehicle), rather than good people who have accidents.

Good people who have accidents use Depends.

Comment

It's public safety. #1 priority should be the safety of the public.

Start with what statistically causes the most damage and work your way down.
                    They're called 'learning opportunities'.

Comment

all are important but i think the protection role and response to calls for service, from robbery in progress to cat in a tree is the most important.

perception is reality.

Police ALWAYS look better when the public SEES police doing something (short response times etc..catching the badguys right in front of the victims etc.) ]

If the police are empathetic to the situation, they (the public) feel better than if for example, it take officers an hour to get to a burglary, the detectives are detached and impersonal and 4 days later they catch the guy.

what i mean is that when the response time and officers have the attitude that whatever the problem the victim is having is thier (the police's) utmost priority and gets 100% attention at that time..

like children who fall down and skin thier knees, police are the 'mommas' who pick the kid (society) up and tell them it will be ok, which often times is more important than the band aid that goes on mostly as a afterthought.
                      i hope i explained what i meant properly.

call it community policing or whatever you want.

However, the majority of the public seems to have a "what have you done for me lately " attiude in regards to police activity.

Citizen:you didnt get here fast enough!

Police officer: but we caught the guy who burgled your house last month

Citizen: yea, but...i needed you today and you took forever.

know what i mean?
                      The proper drinking of Scotch whisky is more than indulgence: it is a toast to civilization, a tribute to the continuity of culture, a manifesto of man’s determination to use the resources of nature to refresh mind and body and enjoy to the full the senses with which he has been endowed

Comment

Originally posted by stangfather
                        all are important but i think the protection role and response to calls for service, from robbery in progress to cat in a tree is the most important.

perception is reality.
                        More so than saving lives / preventing death?

Police ALWAYS look better when the public SEES police doing something (short response times etc..catching the badguys right in front of the victims etc.) ]
                        Ask 100 citizens what they last saw a cop doing. 99 will tell you, stopping a speeder / on a traffic stop / stopping a car / arresting a drunk driver. Very few will say, "catching a burglar red handed." If you think about, this is probably true for you as well.

If the police are empathetic to the situation, they (the public) feel better than if for example, it take officers an hour to get to a burglary, the detectives are detached and impersonal and 4 days later they catch the guy.
                        what i mean is that when the response time and officers have the attitude that whatever the problem the victim is having is thier (the police's) utmost priority and gets 100% attention at that time.
                        What could more perfectly back this up, than an immediate stop of some turd that just blew a stop sign right in front of the citizen.
                        The All New
                        - M1Garand

Comment

Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote
                          carjacking...vehicular homicide...human trafficking...DUI...DWHUA...reckless driving
                          It just so happens that traffic enforcement is usually the most effective way to deal with these types of crimes. So in these cases there is no priority conflict.

Drug smuggling in itself I don't see as evil or stupid. I think it should be left alone like any other legitimate import/export/retail business. The evil I see is the violence/theft/etc that makes it seem like an illegitimate business. That is where the focus should be, and that should not be left alone. In this case, traffic enforcement is NOT the best option.

Originally posted by stangtrooper
                          cat in a tree
                          I consider that a waste of police resources. Your average teenager is better trained/equipped to rescue a cat from a tree than most cops.

More so than saving lives / preventing death?
                          In general, no. As far as policework is concerned, yes: I think a robbery in progress is more important than trying to save lives through general traffic enforcement.

Comment

I thought revenue collection was the biggest priority? at least thats how it appears to be with some departments locally

Comment

If our obvious #1 priority in law enforcement is the saving of lives and prevention of death and mayhem and, by far, traffic errors and reckless / drunken driving are responsible for more than 50,000 deaths each year, shouldn't traffic supervision and enforcement be the #1 priority of all uniformed enforcement agencies?

What say you? Hopefully, this wll be an objective and good intentioned logical debate.
                              I'm sure traffic enforcement is the number 1 priority for those employed by a HIGHWAY PATROL agency. That's what they do; they don't handle general policing calls; just tickets, drunks and ACCIDENTS! On the other hand, State Police agencies, police departments and some Sheriff's departments handle "calls for service". This is their priority at work!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10606 users online. 427 members and 10179 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X