300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tickets and DQ'ing

I know this has been discussed before but I can't get the search feature to work on my computer so I thoguht I would just ask for my situation.

I drive about 60,000 miles a year delivering pizza, and am going to school for law enforcement during the day. My first 8 months of pizza delivery were great, I started right after I turned 18, but last summer, around the time of my 19th birthday I got my first speeding ticket for going too fast on a dirt road. Then I got another a week later for passing someone. I was guilty of both. I was written up for 5 over in the passing violation and basic speed law (same as 5 over basically) in the dirt road violation. Then in September, the freeway got shut down and I tried to cross the grassy median and got stuck. I got an improper crossing ticket, but have since talked to the officer and he is going to trial with me to help me plead my case before the judge in hopes of dropping the ticket (he is helping me because I am a cj student). My most recent ticket I got two weeks ago from a university cop for supposedly running a stop sign, when I say supposedly I am not saying the officer lied, but I question what he saw since he claimed I did not slow down at all, when I know for a fact at the very least I slowed down, but I wasnt 100% sure I came to a complete stop. I will attempt to talk to him about the ticket to see if he will drop it but have not had a chance yet.

So here is my question, if by worst case scenario, all these tickets stick, I will have 9 points in the last year:

2 points for speeding
    2 points for passing/speeding
    2 points for improper crossing
    3 points for rolling stop sign

Again while this sounds like a lot, I drive 60,000 miles a year doing delivery in the city, and the average person drives maybe 20,000 a year, so this is 3 years of driving for most people.

Anyway, I wont be in the academy until next summer, which will have been two years from the speeding tickets in the same week, leaving me with at the most, 5 points (assuming i stay ticket free). My question is, does having that many points at one time automatically DQ me from getting hired? Or if there is some time in between then, will that help my case?

Six points seems to be the magic number (it is here too). How long are points on your licence there, 3 years?

With what Kal said, even once you are eligible in getting hired you have to convince them your driving habits have changed. Even if you drive 60k miles a year compared to the 20k miles that most people drive, it wouldn't convince me that it comes down to statistics where you get more tickets because you spend more time on the road.

My driving record wasn't flawless but I had 0 points and four years between my tickets when I applied. As said, you need to convince them, and rationalizing it or downplaying it won't cut it.

Give it a try, at the very worst they will say no and you can return the next time with a better understanding of the process.

Comment

Yea I dont expect to get hired with over 6 points, but I was wondering if lets say I apply at a PD in 3-4 years, with no points on my license at the time. Will they hold against me points I had before for minor violations that have since dropped off? I guess what I mean is, will having 9 points at one time auto DQ me even if when i apply i have no points?

Comment

Originally posted by michiganDT
        .Again while this sounds like a lot, I drive 60,000 miles a year doing delivery in the city, and the average person drives maybe 20,000 a year, so this is 3 years of driving for most people
        That many citations in such a short period of time is going to pose a serious problem for you.

However, there is another issue that may be an even greater impediment - your attitude. You seem to feel that because you drive an excessive amount of miles that a greater number of citations is acceptable. It is not. Over my career I was amazed by the number of people I arrested who believed that illegal conduct was fine as long as they could articulate why they did it. I think my favorite one was the guy arrested for battery. He said, "Yeah, I hit the other guy. But, I did it because he ****ed me off, so you shouldn't be arresting me".

I think a department's biggest concern in hiring you is, will you abandon its policies, procedures and the law just because you can explain why you did it? Will you let criminals go simply because they can explain why they broke the law?
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
          That many citations in such a short period of time is going to pose a serious problem for you.

However, there is another issue that may be an even greater impediment - your attitude. You seem to feel that because you drive an excessive amount of miles that a greater number of citations is acceptable. It is not. Over my career I was amazed by the number of people I arrested who believed that illegal conduct was fine as long as they could articulate why they did it. I think my favorite one was the guy arrested for battery. He said, "Yeah, I hit the other guy. But, I did it because he ****ed me off, so you shouldn't be arresting me".

I think a department's biggest concern in hiring you is, will you abandon its policies, procedures and the law just because you can explain why you did it? Will you let criminals go simply because they can explain why they broke the law?

I never said it was acceptable, I just didn't want everyone to jump all over me when they heard 4 tickets in a year, I wanted to explain the circumstances around it.

For example, if I was on trial for murder, and I testified I killed the person because I had just watched them kill my brother, I wouldn't be saying my action was justified, I would just be explaining the circumstances around what caused me to do it, while it was wrong, it was an isolated incident beacuse of extreme circumtances and I would not be likely to reoffend.

In the case of the tickets, if I immeadietly blurted out "I have 9 points in the last year" everyone would probably assume I was a reckless driver. I am not, I just made some mistakes.
          Last edited by michiganDT; 02-20-2007, 03:44 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8126 users online. 438 members and 7688 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X